Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you the type of DRIVER that...

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
...drives just behind the car in front, OR, just in front of the car behind?

It seems there is a split in driver behaviour to the two scenarios outlined above...

The 'must get past the car in front' type, who needs to tailgate remorselessly and overtake at the drop of the hat...

And the 'poodler', who drives conservatively, adhering to the speed limit, and has one, two, three or more vehicles behind...

Over to all the Michael Schumacher/Mns. Hulot types on NSC ???

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I don't tailgate as such, but I won't be poodling along either and usually end up catching the car in front and then proceed at a safe distance.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I drive up the arses of those doing 30 in a 40 zone, or as i found out the other day some numpty doing 20 in a 40...idiot! However once I reach the speed limit for the given zone I stay there and if someone then tailgates me I slow down!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I tend to go a little faster than the speed limit allows depending on the conditions. I don't tailgate and hate it happening to me especially if I am doing 60 ish on a single carriagway in the country !

Once when almost home in town, some joker roared right up behind me even though I was doing 35 in a built up area... I slowed to 30 and put my hazards on to make sure he could see me.:thumbsup:

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
Like to think I'm a sensible driver and never drive too close to the car ahead. Gets right on my tits when some dickhole drives right up my arse. I make a point of going slower, just to piss the twat off.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I tend to slow right down when I'm being tail gated, then accelerate as he (which it always is) 'tries' to overtake me. When he does go past I usually smile (and give a one fingered salute if the situation requires it).

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
another good tip to piss off tailgaters is thus:

If on a dual carriage way you have one up your arse, as he moves to the INSIDE lane to under pass you (illegal I think) speed up and block him in so he's stuck by the car slower car in front of him, you cruise alongside said slower car and LAUGH at the fucker, then as someone else comes up behind you speed up again meaning the original tailgater is stuck in the slow lane....works a TREAT!

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
'The poodler that drives along at the speed limit'?
Would that be the one driving at the maximum speed allowed by law? The one driving at a speed that is deemed to be both safe and efficient?
Speed limits are there for a reason, strangely enough.
As far as I can see, there are ONLY two reasons why drivers break the prescribed limit and they are
1) They have a physical or mental condition that they cannot control that makes them drive too fast (so shouldn't be on the road)
2) They don't give a f*** about anybody or anything apart from themselves (so shouldn't be on the road)
Look at the frghtening death/ injury statistics and you know I'm right...

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I can't stand tailgating and SHIT MY PANTS if I'm the passenger in a car where the driver is bumper to bumper with every car in front for the whole journey. If any dumb f*** tries to tailgate me then I slam on the brakes in the hope that they smash into the back of me, f*** up their car, have to pay to repair mine and end up paying higher insurance premiums. So far this hasn't actually worked, I've just been sworn at quite a lot.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale

If on a dual carriage way you have one up your arse, as he moves to the INSIDE lane to under pass you (illegal I think) speed up and block him in so he's stuck by the car slower car in front of him, you cruise alongside said slower car and LAUGH at the fucker, then as someone else comes up behind you speed up again meaning the original tailgater is stuck in the slow lane....works a TREAT!

A favourite of mine too. Used to work well on the A42 dual carriageway between the M42 & M1 :D

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
...drives just behind the car in front, OR, just in front of the car behind?

It seems there is a split in driver behaviour to the two scenarios outlined above...

The 'must get past the car in front' type, who needs to tailgate remorselessly and overtake at the drop of the hat...

And the 'poodler', who drives conservatively, adhering to the speed limit, and has one, two, three or more vehicles behind...

Over to all the Michael Schumacher/Mns. Hulot types on NSC ???

From the tone of your comments, I assume you are the former. People are hardly poodling along if they are at the speed limit, with the exception possibly of motorway driving. The other 'pratts' on the road are those that can't be arsed to indicate at junctions or who sit in the middle lane of the motorway as if it is their god given right, totally oblivious to any traffic behind because they don't use any mirrors. Also, any bastard lorry drivers who think it is ok to signal and pull across your lane irrespective of whether you are alongside them or not.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I tend to try to leave a gap between me and the car in front except when driving in London where it's the best way to get a dent from someone cutting in. I pretty much stick very close to the speed limit except on motorways where I almost always speed and in Amsterdam where I drive slowly in case one of the mad-fucker cyclists decides to pull across in front of me

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
I only tailgate if the person infront is proper pissing me off, and when i get tailgated i just slow right down, and when turn, turn REALLY slowly

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

you be carefull, you might end up in a tree doing that sort of thing...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I only tail gate when I come up behind those lazy feckers in the outside lane (on dual carriageway or motorway) who are doing exactly the speed limit and won't move to the inside lane even when there are large gaps they could slip into. They clearly have the attitude that NO ONE MUST PASS THEM because they are already doing the maximum permissible speed, or they are shit-scared of changing lanes, or they think so clever twat will box them in. Personally I reckon its probably all three.

Makes me want to under-take which is only legal if you can argue that your lane was moving faster than the outside lane but this usually only happens in heavy traffic. :rant:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

yeah great - though one could argue that the one thing worse than idiots on the road is idiots enraging bigger idiots.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

'illegal I think'! If you don't know whether it is illegal then your just as big a danger as the idiots tailgating!!!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
ooops the PC Brigade have turned up :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here