Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you happy to lose to Hudders if it stops SCC going up 2nd?

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Anyone else think it could be pay back time for the 1978 promotion “fix”? (Allegedly that is).

If we’re already promoted and still unbeaten when we play Hudders in our last home game, how would you feel about losing if it meant SCC wouldn’t go up in one of the automatic positions?

I remember the total frustration when seeing that “nil-nil” draw against Spurs at the Dell which meant we stayed in the old Second division while Spurs were promoted as runners-up with SCC as champions.

It still rankles and, while I’d rather Hudders were promoted anyway, I don’t know if I’d like to “give away” our unbeaten record.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
And I doubt if any of the current squad or management are aware of what happened then.

Still pisses me off the way we were stitched up that day, though. Fans never forget things like that.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I hope only a draw is needed to send both teams up and consign SCC to the play offs.

That way we (hopefully by then) keep our unbeaten home record and we can party with the Hudds fans on the centre circle.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
What hacked me off in 78 was the fact they gave the scc result over the p.a. directly after the final whistle at our match...didnt even have the opportunity to dream ....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The promotion fix was before my time, but the too big for this division mentality that they seemingly have, particularly their owners and managers (though I admit this could be a warped view due to what NSC highlights) does annoy me. It annoyed me with Leeds before, and I would love to see Southampton stay in this division for another year so they don't have the "we're only here because of the points deduction" excuses.

If I have to choose between us remaining undefeated at home this season and saints staying down, I'd go with us being undefeated.

However, if we happen to lose simply because Huddersfield deserved to win then I would take solace in the knock on effect it had for saints.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i know that people seem to be really bothered by southampton, but has it really got to the stage now whereby they'd be happy to see use LOSE if it meant they were consigned to the play offs (which they'll probably win, anyway)

jesus christ :jester:

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
No way - I really want us to win by loads in our last game at Withdean. 6-0 would bookend it nicely with the Mansfield game.

ArfieldGood

Dec 10, 2010
Huddersfield
Hi, Hudders fan here, i'd be more than happy if you let us win!! Got a horrible feeling that 2nd spot is going to go down to the last game. I feel sick now so God knows what i'll be like by end of the season. Hopefully we'll be up there (gonna miss Pilkington sooo much but just signed Danny Ward off Bolton who was at Swindon last year), we should be. Anyway congrats on that top spot, I think everyone has been waiting for you to go through a bad spell but it's not really happened, you thouroughly deserve it. Helps that the rest of us don't seem to want it as well. The rest of us seem to keep messing up when we've had chance to put a bit of distance between 2nd and 3rd. Hope you beat Saints the week before we come!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I want us to win the last game, and hopefully be unbeaten at home for the season. Would be an amazing way to sign off the "Withdean Years".

Should we lose however and it meant Hudds getting 2nd place ahead of Southampton, then I really wouldn't shed too many tears. As long as we're in first place of course.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Ahem folks, we did this one yesterday. Anyway, whatever happens they would get a second chance via the play offs, an option we didn't have.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Hi, Hudders fan here, i'd be more than happy if you let us win!! Got a horrible feeling that 2nd spot is going to go down to the last game. I feel sick now so God knows what i'll be like by end of the season. Hopefully we'll be up there (gonna miss Pilkington sooo much but just signed Danny Ward off Bolton who was at Swindon last year), we should be. Anyway congrats on that top spot, I think everyone has been waiting for you to go through a bad spell but it's not really happened, you thouroughly deserve it. Helps that the rest of us don't seem to want it as well. The rest of us seem to keep messing up when we've had chance to put a bit of distance between 2nd and 3rd. Hope you beat Saints the week before we come!

We did have a bad spell...it lasted from Nov 13 to Jan 1....failed to win in 5 league games...missed pens at yours and Soton, which cost us at least 3 more points...lost Lua Lua with broken leg...were probably a bit lucky with weather, in that we only played 5 games in that period.
Turned corner with tremendous display v Charlton and murdered Orient straight after....since then...we've had the mojo working.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I am never happy when we lose, I support the Albion and no other football team - this talk of being happy to lose a game is in my opinion utter nonsense. I'm old enough to remember the farce of '78 but I have grown up a little since then tbh (not much but enough to put that particular grudge to bed :laugh:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here