• yes

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • no

Votes: 57 63.3%

• Total voters

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Gwlyan, you dont know how you would feel unless it happened god forbid.

But I know I would feel that way.

Bare

Nov 12, 2003
California
Let's see, death penalty for an innocent man or life in prison for an innocent man. Choices, choices.

Most death penalty cases are without any doubt. John Mohammed, the DC sniper, he should fry. No doubts.

Texas and Florida are fairly fast with their death penalties. Here in California the first appeal doesn't happen for at least 10 years. The first five are just waiting for an appellate attorney to take the case.

Either way you look at it a convicted innocent man is in hell.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Marshy said:
Gwlyan, you dont know how you would feel unless it happened god forbid.

But I know I would feel that way.

You're right none of us can know exactly how we'd react in a given situation. But, by the same token, I'm not quite sure how youknow how you'd feel but I couldn't know how I'd feel.

I hope that my principles would hold whatever (and I'm 99.9999% certain they would)

Bare said:
Let's see, death penalty for an innocent man or life in prison for an innocent man. Choices, choices.

Most death penalty cases are without any doubt. John Mohammed, the DC sniper, he should fry. No doubts.

Texas and Florida are fairly fast with their death penalties. Here in California the first appeal doesn't happen for at least 10 years. The first five are just waiting for an appellate attorney to take the case.

Either way you look at it a convicted innocent man is in hell.

The DC sniper certainly handed out several death penalties to the innocent - why should he get any better chance for a long life ?

An eye for an eye - appropriate punishments to suit crimes.
That's why I'd love to see a child molester and murderer get tied down spreadeagle and naked, with the kid's parents allowed some hours alone with them with bunsen burners and any other objects they desired from the chemistry lab or metalwork shop.

It just feels right !

Not me. When I was younger, in my teens and twenties, I had a different view - I was all for it.
But as time goes by and you hear of all the miscarriages of justice and of those cases where people were hanged years ago, only for evidence to later emerge that it wasn't them, then my opinion changed.

At least if you get the wrong person and find out later you can release them from prison - there is no release from the grave.

Bare

Nov 12, 2003
California
True enough coach03. One case that comes to mind is the Lindburg Baby killer, Bruno Hoffman. It's coming more and more to light that evidence was manufactured and tainted to make him the boogyman. Some research today is showing more and more that he was telling the truth and that the money he had was stored in his house by a man called Fisher. The balance of the money has never been found. It'll probably show up when they tear some old building down. Or worse yet, they already tore the building down and the money is in some dump somewhere.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
My nephew went down for 7 years for manslaughter. He got out in 5. I visited him twice a month for 5 years and met several 'murderers'. My nephew is a little shit disturber but some of the guys in there I really felt sorry for. 1 guy had a dad who used to take turns beating the crap out of him and his mother. After a lifetime of this he lost it one night. While his dad was beating his mom he tried to get his dad to attack him but his dad was hell bent on beating his mom. He knifed his dad to death. He got a light sentence for this (he was under 18 when this happened). No way should a guy like that get the death penalty.

Furthermore the family of the man my nephew was involved in killing are devout Catholics. It would have absolutely crushed them to have had a second death on there hands (thats how they viewed it) if the guilty party had been killed. It is completely against their beliefs. The feelings of the victims family need to be given a top priority. They felt this way about the ringleader in also - he got life in prison.

As it stands there is no death penalty in Canada. I am glad. A lot of them are complete dirt. But quite a few were put in situations where I can't say I would have done any differently.

David

Bare

Nov 12, 2003
California
driddles
I don't think the guy who stabbed his father should have got any time according to his story. I get the impression he wasn't telling it quite the way it happened. Even if his story is close he shouldn't get the death penalty. John Mohamed should get the death penalty. Richard Davis got the death penalty. Those people should get the death penalty.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Aside from the moral, legal and social arguments (which on here are quite interesting without being too abusive for once), there is a bigger political argument which has to be overcome for the UK to adopt the death penalty.

Even if there was a groundswell of opinion in favour, the EU has deemed that no member countries can have the death penalty of its statute books.

For it to happen here would require an extremely large seismic political shift...

Bare

Nov 12, 2003
California
The Large One

I agree, this is a good debate/discussion.

We had a case out here you might of heard of. Charles Ng. Seriel killer/torturer of the worst kind. He managed to escape to Canada before they could catch him. The RCMP picked him up for some petty crime and wouldn't release him back to California. The Canadian argument was, they don't extradite to countries with death penalties. Out of shear frustration after years of rangling, the US authorities through the hands up and said 'fine you keep him,' and walked away. The Canadians had nothing further to hold him on then realised they were about to release a beast of the most heinous kind loose on the Canadian people. They promptly called the US back and handed him over.:lolol:

Last edited:

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The death penalty is an antiquated idea. Only cultures still trapped in the fundamentalist 15th century support it - like Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and parts of the USA.

Bare

Nov 12, 2003
California
Ever see a Russian death penalty? They take the convicted in to a room, shot him in the back of the head. Then someone comes along and cleans up the mess.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Easy to say no to the death penalty but how would you feel if your kid had been raped and strangled or some such ? My problem with the death penalty is that if you go by the American model there's a lot of people getting the big needle thanks to the fact that they couldn't afford a decent lawyer.

Hard to say but can you really justify the continued existance of the likes of the Wests, Ian Brady and various others who are clearly and totally beyond any doubt guilty ? I'm not sure if you know but lifers get treated differently to common or garden mid term prisoners.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Interestingly the sickest fucks in the World inpart their own death penalty - suicide bombers. The death penalty isn't going to deter you when you intend on killing yourself anyway.

I agree with chemical castration for repeat sex offenders - they're acting on a sex urge, take that urge away and you lessen the probability of reoffending.

For murders I couldn't want the death penalty, it simply isn't part of a civilised society. But I would want life to mean just that. No release ever. We're paying for it are we? I'd gladly pay an extra 1% tax to know that the most evil people in the world will never walk free but that my society hasn't lowered itself to their level.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Suicide bombers tend to be religious fanatics who see death in this life as the entry to their version of heaven. Moslem men expect to be greeted by a large number of virgins on the other side.

I always wonder what's in it for female suicide bombers though.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I support the death penalty, especially for rapists, child murderers and terrorists. Scum of the earth in my view and we'd all be better off without them. Anyone who deliberately takes the life of another deserves to lose his/hers. Simple as that. Why the hell should the taxpayer pay a fortune to keep someone in jail for a lifetime? Makes no sense to me.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Zebedee said:
I support the death penalty, especially for rapists, child murderers and terrorists. Scum of the earth in my view and we'd all be better off without them. Anyone who deliberately takes the life of another deserves to lose his/hers. Simple as that. Why the hell should the taxpayer pay a fortune to keep someone in jail for a lifetime? Makes no sense to me.

makes plenty of sense when you know the law process just ain't infallible

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here