Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we the richest South Coast club now?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
How are we rich exactly?

We are rich for one very good reason. When we open Falmer, we'll get a massive income boost through increased attendances, hospitality, sponsorship etc, but we WONT be paying any interest charges. This puts us miles ahead of almost every club that has a new-ish stadium.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I'd advise caution before everybody goes too nuts. If you artificially inflate the size of a club, especially if you do it too quickly, and take on too much debt, the fall is that much more spectacular when it goes wrong. With Knight in charge, whatever people thought of him, we all knew that we had a Brighton man in charge who would not let any harm come to the club under his stewardship. We now have an unknown quantity in charge. I'm not saying we've swapped good for bad. I'm just saying that we don't know yet.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'd advise caution before everybody goes too nuts. If you artificially inflate the size of a club, especially if you do it too quickly, and take on too much debt, the fall is that much more spectacular when it goes wrong. With Knight in charge, whatever people thought of him, we all knew that we had a Brighton man in charge who would not let any harm come to the club under his stewardship. We now have an unknown quantity in charge. I'm not saying we've swapped good for bad. I'm just saying that we don't know yet.

Unknown quantity? His uncle has been a director of BHA for 25 years, his granddad was vice chairman, he bleeds blue and white stripes. I accept that we don't know what he'll be like as chairman, but he is certainly not an "unknown quantity" in my opinion.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I dont think were 'rich' all of a sudden, we have to pay back this money and its not as if Bloom is only starting to put money into the club, hes been bank rolling us for years!

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I think the point is we are in a much better financial position than most clubs in the lower divisons now. As a previous post says we wont pay interest therefore making the loan form Mr Bloom easier to pay back when Falmer starts to increase our income. As I understand it we cant be made bankrupt because of this loan. Also the fact we have a loan repayment date suggest the sums have been done. And as a fan TB is clearly going to put cash in to improve the team, he wants what we want a good team in a sparkling new stadium.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Unknown quantity? His uncle has been a director of BHA for 25 years, his granddad was vice chairman, he bleeds blue and white stripes. I accept that we don't know what he'll be like as chairman, but he is certainly not an "unknown quantity" in my opinion.

His grandfather and his uncle are not him though, are they? I wasn't automatically saying that being an unknown quantity was a bad thing - Knight was unknown to most of us when he took over - but as we do not know how Bloom will run the club, he is an unknown quantity. We can't just assume he'll be exactly the same as his antecedents.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
What is all the excitement about - Tony Bloom is rich, that doesn't mean that the club itself is rich, just that we have a benefactor who doesn't want it to go under.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Pompey have a £30m bank loan to re-pay, and Gaydemak wants another £30m. For a club with an old stadium and ageing squad whose two best outfield players are up for sale it looks unlikely.

There may be trouble ahead.

Portsmouth are actually in deeper shit than has generally been reported. They claim that they had "reduced" the asking price to £30m., but were being touted at £18m and had no serious offers. Ramon Vega offered £1 and they laughed him off, but if he comes back with the same deal again ...

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Oh do shut up! Knight "a Brighton man in charge"? The Blooms are Brighton through and through! How much better cridentials would you like than the Granson of the Vice Chairman when our last glory days were here? Some people just cannot see beyond all the Dick Knight spin. This is a fantastic day for our Club - enjoy it!

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
We are rich for one very good reason. When we open Falmer, we'll get a massive income boost through increased attendances, hospitality, sponsorship etc, but we WONT be paying any interest charges. This puts us miles ahead of almost every club that has a new-ish stadium.

nail on head! this is why arsenal are also in a great position because in about 5 years they'll have paid off their stadium loan (i think?) and then every penny they make from the cash cow of a stadium they get to keep. compare that to man u and liverpool.

i assume at some stage little tony will want something back but if things go to plan we'll be in a superb position to push on and flourish

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
Marvellous scenes. All on the day South Today were talking about the Saints struggling to find a buyer.

The power is shifting.

I bet the Saints will still get more coverage when we are winning the Champions League and they are in the conference though :laugh:

and today's main sport saints lost 3-1 to Kettering meaning they finish 11th and in minor minor news Brighton won 7-2 to retain the champions league for the 4th year in a row - i can see it happen :lolol::lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But surely all this money is tied up in the stadium, so we're not exactly cash rich, are we?

It's not as though we're going to go out and sign the players of our dreams, is it, or have I got this all wrong?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
But surely all this money is tied up in the stadium, so we're not exactly cash rich, are we?

It's not as though we're going to go out and sign the players of our dreams, is it, or have I got this all wrong?
If that amount is going towards the stadium i would presume there is a few million going spare somewhere:thumbsup:Its clear that bloom has massive ambition for the club and he knows on the pitch is the first place to start before falmer.:whisky:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How on earth is that "clear" though?

I guess twenty+ years of supporting the club through (financially) thin, thinner and positively anorexic times have induced a natural sense of caution and suspicion in my attitude towards all things Albion.

Frankly, it doesn't seem RIGHT that we should enjoy a bit of financial good fortune, that only happens to other clubs, you know? :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It seems hard to believe that a man could make the amount of money that he apparently has in a reasonably short time, could just as easily lose it as quickly, so perhaps he is being backed by someone or some people. Nobody seems to be able to identify how rich he is and how he has made so much money. Obviously putting up £93m it isnt all of his wealth, so how much is he actually worth? I would think that the likelehood of him being declared bankrupt is so remote that it is not worth thinking about.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not concerned that Tony Bloom is some kind of shyster, just interested in why people seem to think we'll suddenly be splashing the cash, though God knows we'll need it with all the ex Premier League clubs in our division next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here