Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we spoilt?

Withdean Wanderer said:
Is this how things were meant to be?

We moved back to Withdean, and got fairly decent crowds...yes...but we also got some fairly instant success.

The first season at Withdean, we finished outside the play offs...had we had another couple of mid table finishes, would crowds have actually been decent? Had it not been for Zamora & co, we wouldn't have had Championship football, we wouldn't have had 3 FANTASTIC promotion seasons...

Is all the discontent now just a result of the good times we've had in recent years? The increased expectancy? If we'd had pretty average seasons at Withdean, and just managed to stay up, would people be angered about the current situation?

Yes - Falmer is a bit of a farce. But I can't help think that we're pissed off now because we've had it so good the last few years.

Sensible comments, and I would add that it may get worse before it eventually gets better. We just have to tough it out and have a few laughs along the way before we get to Falmer, which will be like a rebirth of the club.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Withdean Wanderer said:

We moved back to Withdean, and got fairly decent crowds...yes...but we also got some fairly instant success.

The first season at Withdean, we finished outside the play offs...had we had another couple of mid table finishes, would crowds have actually been decent? Had it not been for Zamora & co, we wouldn't have had Championship football, we wouldn't have had 3 FANTASTIC promotion seasons...

Is all the discontent now just a result of the good times we've had in recent years? The increased expectancy? If we'd had pretty average seasons at Withdean, and just managed to stay up, would people be angered about the current situation?

Yes - Falmer is a bit of a farce. But I can't help think that we're pissed off now because we've had it so good the last few years.

In terms of crowd sizes, if we hadn't had any success the crowds would still be small now. Infact they'd probably be smaller as we would have had 15 years of oscillating between poor and unbelievably dire. There would be very little hope or belief among the supporters due to the unrelenting failure of the team. The three promotions have given people the belief that we can rise up the leagues and that if only we were competing on a level playing field we'd be a regular in the championship. It helps to keep fair weather/occasional supporters interested and I would argue helps bring in new fans.

The downside to this is that, yes, some people are now getting pissed off with us wallowing in the lower reaches of the third tier and with seemingly little chance of getting back into to the championship in the near future.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Re: Re: Are we spoilt?

London Irish said:
Sensible comments, and I would add that it may get worse before it eventually gets better. We just have to tough it out and have a few laughs along the way before we get to Falmer, which will be like a rebirth of the club.

thats an LI Comment.....

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Re: Re: Re: Are we spoilt?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
thats an LI Comment.....

:clap: :lolol:

Very man of the people don't you think.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
yes we been spoilt but f*** me did we deserve it after my first 14 years of supporting the club.
Of course when a team is succesful and heading in the right direction on the field , that to very quickly see the wheels come off and the team going backwards it is going to piss even the staunchest supporter off.
Purely looking at the playing side ignoring outside factors that is

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
It is a great improvement from Gillingham. The teams that played at Gillingham were truly awful. Irrespective of the utter bollocks happening off the pitch (a major reason to be sure), there was one over-riding reason why we still were bottom of the Fourth Division - the players were utter shite. There is a reason why hardly any of the players from 1997 were still playing league football three years later.

Too many people have too short memories.

Very true and as Ben said last season when we got relegated ' dont worry grandad we shall be back again next season or the one after as they always do get promoted back'. He has been a season ticket holder for 9 years and has seen a few promotions and relegations during that time but he is now a life long supporter like myself, well not exactly like me, I hope.

Withdean Wanderer said:

The very fact that BHA exist as a club, is the reason for "all the discontent" you mentioned. However, discontent at recent lack of success is only even available to us because we have a club to be discontented about! Even if we still had a Goldstone, and even WHEN we get Falmer, there would be discontent, moaning, opinion, criticism, and general week-by-week chat that wouldn't all be complimentary .....just like other clubs that.... still exist.

Moaning and criticism is nothing to be afraid of, bad results/players/performances/managers will come and go, along with the good stuff. The intrinsic fact and bottom line is, Brighton and Hove Albion exist to compete in the league, despite all that has happened.

Is this how things were meant to be? Oh yes, absolutely.
Thanks be to Dick (and others, of course, ....and no thanks to the f.a.).

Re: Re: Re: Are we spoilt?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
thats an LI Comment.....

Yes it is :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here