Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we a big club?

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
B.W. said:
Even if we get Falmer, the capacity of 22,000 suggests our board are aimimng at the Championship, not the Prem as they should be...

Could you imagine LDC's response if we'd tried to get planning consent for a 40,000 seater stadium? No, the plan's always been build what we need now and extend it later.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We are a complete and total footballing irrelavance, when I tell people I support BHA they either:

1. Pity me
2. Think I am mad
3. Laugh in my face
4. Ask why I don't support Chelsea
5. All 4

In penis size we are a 4 incher.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Who are the big clubs in this country. I can only think of Manchester United and Liverpool and may be Arsenal. I don't think any other club comes close

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Probably not

the real big clubs in this country tend to be the ones who have huge fan bases, that is why I would rank such clubs as Wolves and Derby County as big clubs.

We are regarded as a small seaside town side,like Blackpool or Bournemouth or Gillingham. I think out galvanising of support during the Archer era possibly gave us a bit of a false perspective, but as Liz Costa said during the season, there are many in the supporters club who prefer us to be a smaller club where we hopefully will have some say and can recgnise DK and MP. I think its nice to be small......then our expectations are not that great.

Of course if you are looking at really world stage big clubs, then its Liverpool and Manchester United only ( celtic from scotland)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dave the Gaffer said:

Of course if you are looking at really world stage big clubs, then its Liverpool and Manchester United only ( celtic from scotland)

Don't take offence, but that's a 'football-snob' evaluation.

People may not like the new money, but there is no criteria by which Chelsea, for one, could not be considered a big club.

Big ground check
Big fanbase check
Plenty of money check
Succesful on the field check
Succesful off the field check
Big name players check

They may not have historically been a 'big club' but then that wasn't the question

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Big Club in this day and age is not to do with trophies, history or style of football.

It's all about Global Brand.

In that sense, we're miniscule.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
hans kraay fan club said:

People may not like the new money, but there is no criteria by which Chelsea, for one, could not be considered a big club.

Big ground check
Big fanbase check
Plenty of money check
Big name players check

They may not have historically been a 'big club' but then that wasn't the question

I see your point but until they win something in Europe Chelsea can't yet be seen as a big club

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
6,000 gates shouts small club,third tier even but we came close to being a biggish club in Bamber's day though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
Never have never will be. Primarily due to catchment areas i.e. half of it is in the sea.

Hasn't harmed Sunderland, Newcastle, Portsmouth, Southampton. Middlesborough, Liverpool or Everton very much.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
hans kraay fan club said:

Big ground check
Big fanbase check
Plenty of money check
Big name players check

No Liverpool are the most sucessful team in the european cup we have ever had.

manchester United are the number 1 brand in the world. - everyone knows man United

Celtic are also known all over the world.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dave the Gaffer said:
No Liverpool are the most sucessful team in the european cup we have ever had.

manchester United are the number 1 brand in the world. - everyone knows man United

Celtic are also known all over the world.

Nobody's questioning that they are all big clubs.

I'm questioning your assertion that they are the ONLY big clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here