Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we a better run club than Palace?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Who knows?

Who cares?

:shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Behind the scenes , it was in front of our eyes, every training video was De boar playing keepy ups or showing his skills to the players who just looked horrified, his arrogance of playing players in the wrong positions and spunking a lot of money on Dutch players who were not nearly good enough. TBH its better to get rid of an employee quickly than letting them stay too long and that goes to any profession.

I am not sure about Potter but with the right players he has shown what he can do with other clubs so deserves a chance..unlike De boar.

De Boer won the title 3 times in 5 years managing Ajax, so he did have some pedigree. Bringing the bloke in to completely change the style of play, giving him a 3 year contract to implement it, and then sacking him 4 games in was exploding clowncar stuff.

Thats not De Boer's fault. Thats the boneheads in the boardroom showing truly epic, weapons-grade twattery.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
De Boer won the title 3 times in 5 years managing Ajax, so he did have some pedigree. Bringing the bloke in to completely change the style of play, giving him a 3 year contract to implement it, and then sacking him 4 games in was exploding clowncar stuff.

Thats not De Boer's fault. Thats the boneheads in the boardroom showing truly epic, weapons-grade twattery.

It really wasnt and was proved not to be...From the players Palace have signed from the Dutch league, well if they are the best ? the league is pretty poor TBH.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It really wasnt and was proved not to be...From the players Palace have signed from the Dutch league, well if they are the best ? the league is pretty poor TBH.

Yes, on the whole players from the dutch league are poor, as we also know to our cost. But they brought in a dutch manager - what did they think he was going to do ?

The board of CPFC2010 made another epically expensive balls-up, there's absolutely no disguising it.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

I guess it wasn’t De Boer’s fault either that Inter Milan sacked him just 85 days into a 3 year contract.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I keep seeing these comparisons of Hyypia and Potter. Ridiculous imo, with Hyypia we were just shit and it was clear from the pre season game against Saints that he was completely out of his depth. Potter is not

Palace have stayed up against the odds every season, credit where it’s due, annoyingly.

Hyypia got us to the 4th round of the League cup, only going out away to Spurs. There were some criticising him at first but were accused of bed wetting.
It was only when we fell into the relegation zone, that Sami offered to resign, which Bloom refused at first. He wasn't sacked.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I guess it wasn’t De Boer’s fault either that Inter Milan sacked him just 85 days into a 3 year contract.

Perhaps Disney could've done a little more research before awarding him a 3 year contract then ?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Perhaps Disney could've done a little more research before awarding him a 3 year contract then ?

Didn’t you give Hyppia a 3 year contract.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Forget the manager, I'm more concerned that despite the vast millions we now earn, way more than at any time in our history, we still apparently made a loss last year. I'm going to be overly negative here, but forget Palace, are we any better run than the likes of Swansea or Wigan? Or even Bolton and Bury? Last financial year it looks like we spent money we didn't have on overpriced, shit players and God knows how many behind-the-scenes bods. That can't go on.

Having a manager who may or may not be the new De Boer (and I think he's better than that) should really be the least of our worries.

We lost money last season for many reasons - one of which was severance/compo for the outgoing/incoming managers. Quite a whack by all accounts.
We made as much in the previous season as we lost last season. I think we expect to be about + £0.5m over the 2 seasons.
The board have already made a decisio (not popular with many on here) to ship out some of the bigger wages on loan with a view to sell. Reducing costs for next season, and with an eye to develop our youth players.
We have also signed the biggest commercial deal in our history with American Express in a 10 year deal, which comes into effect next financial year.

You may have concerns about the quality and cost of players last season.. But rest assured, our club is run much, MUCH better than Palace.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

De Boer only signed 1 player from the dutch league; Jairo Riedewald from Ajax. Who else did they get from the Dutch league?

LVGull

May 13, 2016
I keep seeing these comparisons of Hyypia and Potter. Ridiculous imo, with Hyypia we were just shit and it was clear from the pre season game against Saints that he was completely out of his depth. Potter is not

Palace have stayed up against the odds every season, credit where it’s due, annoyingly.

What happened in that game?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We lost money last season for many reasons - one of which was severance/compo for the outgoing/incoming managers. Quite a whack by all accounts.

I'll take a stab at about £2.5m, £1.5m for Hughton who was on around £500k per year or so, and up to £1m to Swansea to get Potter out of his contract.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'll take a stab at about £2.5m, £1.5m for Hughton who was on around £500k per year or so, and up to £1m to Swansea to get Potter out of his contract.

I can't remember where I read this,but I think it was at least double what you are suggesting.
I would assume the associated coaching staff would also be factored into this.

EDIT:
Found something on BBC which implies £3m compo to Swansea...

"Brighton have paid Swansea about £3m in compensation for Potter and his staff. Swansea assistant manager Billy Reid, coach Bjorn Hamberg and head of recruitment Kyle Macaulay will join Potter at the Amex Stadium."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48340989

So £5m sounds about right for changing Management.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can't remember where I read this,but I think it was at least double what you are suggesting.
I would assume the associated coaching staff would also be factored into this.

EDIT:
Found something on BBC which implies £3m compo to Swansea...

"Brighton have paid Swansea about £3m in compensation for Potter and his staff. Swansea assistant manager Billy Reid, coach Bjorn Hamberg and head of recruitment Kyle Macaulay will join Potter at the Amex Stadium."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48340989

So £5m sounds about right for changing Management.

Okay, that makes sense, but that won't be an accounting loss on the books yet will it? You said the loss last season could be equated to the change in management, I don't think that will be included until the next accounts and isn't a contributing factor in last seasons loss? I could be wrong...:shrug:

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Good question, was having a similar debate with one of my Palace mates and he only worries about the results of the first team.He is not bothered about the ground, board, manager, youth teams etc. Its a valid point, not my thinking, but think a lot of their fans think the same. He reluctantly admitted that we are ahead of them in
Most areas but he only worries about the first teams results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here