Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we a better run club than Palace?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As a business, possibly yes.

As a money pit, their model of heaping big wages beyond their means, works in footballing terms. They finish higher in the PL and Brighton are light years away from beating ManC, Chelsea and winning at OT.

A harsh environment, but more money spent buys better players/deals with their wage demands, gets you game-changers, gives you a higher PL position come May.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
It depends on the term better run ? Are you referring to infrastructure or money making?
Bloom has pumped in millions getting you to where you are today, and fair play to him.
But you cannot discount the tens of millions lost in his pursuit of the promise land, and your first season in the PL was the only season you made a profit ( Bloom put in another £30 mill that season as well).
Last season it’s been suggested that you’ll report a £12 mill loss, so are you that well run ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It depends on the term better run ? Are you referring to infrastructure or money making?
Bloom has pumped in millions getting you to where you are today, and fair play to him.
But you cannot discount the tens of millions lost in his pursuit of the promise land, and your first season in the PL was the only season you made a profit ( Bloom put in another £30 mill that season as well).
Last season it’s been suggested that you’ll report a £12 mill loss, so are you that well run ?
How much profit did you make last season?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
How much profit did you make last season?

Predicted to be a £30 mill loss.
The Wan Bissaka money came after the prediction, so hopefully that will be included in last seasons figures.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

You're going to cop a lot of abuse (simply for being Palace and posting something vaguely unpalatable), but I think there's a degree of truth in what you say. We apparently will post a loss this year and as I said in my earlier post I find that worrying. Yes we've got excuses, but they make us sound like every other struggling club before the begging bowl goes round. Expensive players who didn't deliver? Yes, but we've learned from those mistakes and we won't make those signings again. Severance pay for a former manager and compo for a new one? Ditto. We've got the right guy in charge now so we won't have to pay that again. Backroom staff on massive wages? Gotta have the right people. And if we do, unaccountably, make those mistakes again the PL money will always be there won't it? Just need to go a few more places up the table and everything's cushty. And if the worst comes to the worst and we do get relegated then the chairman can just get his chequebook out again to get us back. Sorted

As it happens I do think we are, overall, a better-run club than you and long-term we are on a better footing than you, but I don't think we're in a position where can gloat about our superiority as if it were set in stone.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I think Potter is the correct manager for our club and I would like to believe he will get a long term shot with us, even if the worst were to happen and we went down. I personally have faith in his philosophy and approach.
The bigger picture is that he is just a cog in our club set up.
If we were to get relegated it wouldn’t be all down to him so why should he take blame as an individual as the blame ultimately lies with the people that made the decision to employ him.
Like signing a player, signing a manager is always a risk but once the decision has been made then the appointment deserves the time to bring in his ideas and make them work.
Short term uneducated decisions are not what our club is about so he will get the time he deserves.
Sammi was an error, Potter isn’t imo.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I vaguely recall your lot absolutely battering Burnley at Turf Moor in what turned out to be his last game, but ending up with a very amusing, sorry, UNFORTUNATE defeat. So not all the performances were dreadful. 4 games in is nowhere near long enough to judge anyway, there must have been something else going on behind the scenes for him to have been binned off that early. Players probably went grizzling to Disney about something or other I expect.

I concur.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Predicted to be a £30 mill loss.
The Wan Bissaka money came after the prediction, so hopefully that will be included in last seasons figures.
Did your club get all that up front or is it over a few years? Probably more tax efficient to have it in staged payments I'd have thought?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
They’ve enjoyed more success. And continue to do so.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You're going to cop a lot of abuse (simply for being Palace and posting something vaguely unpalatable), but I think there's a degree of truth in what you say. We apparently will post a loss this year and as I said in my earlier post I find that worrying. Yes we've got excuses, but they make us sound like every other struggling club before the begging bowl goes round. Expensive players who didn't deliver? Yes, but we've learned from those mistakes and we won't make those signings again. Severance pay for a former manager and compo for a new one? Ditto. We've got the right guy in charge now so we won't have to pay that again. Backroom staff on massive wages? Gotta have the right people. And if we do, unaccountably, make those mistakes again the PL money will always be there won't it? Just need to go a few more places up the table and everything's cushty. And if the worst comes to the worst and we do get relegated then the chairman can just get his chequebook out again to get us back. Sorted

As it happens I do think we are, overall, a better-run club than you and long-term we are on a better footing than you, but I don't think we're in a position where can gloat about our superiority as if it were set in stone.

The one thing that always concerns me is the running costs of the Amex, and hosting matches there. It has always seemed a bit disproportionate to me - and could be a big worry if (when) we drop a division or two.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Mainly care about results and leave the rest to the club
None of us know the detail behind the scenes. Sure there are pros and cons on both sides. Would like to finish above them in the league mostly !!

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

It depend. If it was planned and expected when the season started then why not? If they thought that they were going to make a profit then when they filed the accounts noticed the loss then no.

Football isn't like any other business. If you are trying to say a financial loss equals a badly run club then perhaps you need to take a long hard look at how football clubs are now a days.

I know the answer, do you?

The reason I ask, is that I see some parallels between our appointment of Potter and Palace's of Frank de Boer.

Both clubs appointed a manager to change or evolve the way the teams played.

Both managers produced that style of play quite quickly but without the results.

De Boer was sacked after four games, despite the fact the team was creating chances and looking quite good, but ultimately losing all four. A typical tinpot action in my view.

Potter appears to have changed the team style, it is more attractive, but one win in six is not a great haul. Could easily be one in seven soon.

My view is that he needs time, a long time. Why appoint a manager to change the style if you're just going to sack him quickly? Hyppia got half a season when it was clear he was not up to the task much earlier than that. Potter may need much longer before style equates to improved results.

We know we are a better run club than Palace, I'm pretty sure we will prove it by sticking with Potter long term regardless of how long it takes, but doubt he would avoid the sack after a relegation or even a close survival like Hughton?

If Potter’s fans are comparing him to Hyppia, I really wouldn’t want to meet his enemies.

And you can knock Palace for many things but generally knowing when to cut a manager loose is probably not one of them

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Okay, that makes sense, but that won't be an accounting loss on the books yet will it? You said the loss last season could be equated to the change in management, I don't think that will be included until the next accounts and isn't a contributing factor in last seasons loss? I could be wrong...:shrug:

I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that the expected £12.5m loss was in part due to the change in management.
Of course the source I read it from could have been mistaken.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Good grief anyone who can’t see an improvement is a proper bell, Another day and no VAR we beat West Ham, Burnley, Southampton with 12 points. We dominated Newcastle and an inch away from 3 points against a rival team to stay up. The results will start to come when the squad is fully fit again.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If Potter’s fans are comparing him to Hyppia, I really wouldn’t want to meet his enemies.

And you can knock Palace for many things but generally knowing when to cut a manager loose is probably not one of them[/QUOTE]

This.

The de Boer sacking was the right call.

It also highlighted how close to the knife-edge Palace are constantly running.
The problem they have is that every time they face a risk to their status they spend more ( paying off managers, paying top dollar for players, increasing wages and extending contracts).

Parish is paying top dollar on everything in order to maintain PL status, because they literally cannot afford to fail.
They are already borrowing money based on extended PL status.
Parachute payments won't save them if they fail, because Parish has already gambled that on avoiding relegation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here