Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are things really that bad?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Honestly now,,,,,,would you really trust Poyet if you gave him £3m to go and get the right player???This is the man who chased Harley for months, signed Sandaza, Holroyd and others and let Murray walk up the road, when whatever anyone says, he wanted to stay!!!

The man who signed Bridcutt. Kuszcak, Bridge, Orlandi, Buckley - yes I would.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Only one Championship team has lost fewer games than us so far this season.

Bastards.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The man who signed Bridcutt. Kuszcak, Bridge, Orlandi, Buckley - yes I would.

He didn't sign Buckley(that's why he will be off soon), Bridcutt,Kuszcak and Orlandi were free agents(just wages required) Bridge is a loan....Who has he spent more than £500k on who has proved a bargain......and before you say it again, Stephenson was responsible for bringing Buckley to the club..Carry on???

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
We are a very, very good side with many talented players, and are just one striker away (who we may be signing this January) from converting enough chances to a play off place.

:albion2:

What evidence do you offer to support these statements. Who have we beaten recently to justify the "very, very good side" comment? And who exactly are our "many talented players? Let's see:
Kuszczak: OK. A talented goalie, but needs to work on his distribution.
Bruno: We thought he was the bees knees earlier in the season, but now becoming an embarassment. Cannot pass to a Brighton player and jogs back to position when an Albion attack breaks down. I'd rather have Calderon playing RB, or even Lopez.
Greer: An average Championship CB at best.
El Abd: Slightly better than Greer (except for yesterday), but no more than average for the division.
Bridge: Yes. A talented player.
Bridcutt: Same a Bridge.
Crofts. Hasn't shown much talent since he's been back.
Hammond. Journeyman midfielder. Slightly better than Crofts.
Lopez. May be talented, but we haven't seen too much evidence yet.
Orlandi. Probably just makes it over the "talented" line.
Buckley. Talented, but not consistent.
Lua Lua. OK as an impact player off the bench, but has yet to demonstrate the talent to deserve a starting line-up place.
Barnes: An average Championship striker/midfielder.
CMS: Runs around a lot, but yet to demonstrate much talent on a consistent basis.
Vicente: Undoubtedly talented, but his talent is of no use to us whatsoever in the treatment room.

Frankly nowhere near enough talent there to make us a "very,very good side".

Take off those rose-tinted spectacles.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Of course not.
Ask the people who really know their business eg opposition managers and they will say what a well organized team/squad we have at Brighton.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What evidence do you offer to support these statements. Who have we beaten recently to justify the "very, very good side" comment? And who exactly are our "many talented players? Let's see:
Bruno: We thought he was the bees knees earlier in the season, but now becoming an embarassment. Cannot pass to a Brighton player and jogs back to position when an Albion attack breaks down. I'd rather have Calderon playing RB, or even Lopez.
El Abd: Slightly better than Greer (except for yesterday), but no more than average for the division.
Lua Lua. OK as an impact player off the bench, but has yet to demonstrate the talent to deserve a starting line-up place.
CMS: Runs around a lot, but yet to demonstrate much talent on a consistent basis.
Vicente: Undoubtedly talented, but his talent is of no use to us whatsoever in the treatment room.

spot on

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Of course not.
Ask the people who really know their business eg opposition managers and they will say what a well organized team/squad we have at Brighton.

just ask yourself - if you were an opposition manager why wouldn't you say that you had just won/lost/drawn against a really good team? a bit like saying that pre season training has gone really well - what else could you say?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
He didn't sign Buckley(that's why he will be off soon), Bridcutt,Kuszcak and Orlandi were free agents(just wages required) Bridge is a loan....Who has he spent more than £500k on who has proved a bargain......and before you say it again, Stephenson was responsible for bringing Buckley to the club..Carry on???

He was replying to your post where you mentioned Sandaza (free), Holroyd (about £55K) and Harley (£300K) yet can't use Bridcutt, Kuszczak and Orlandi as examples back as they were free agents. How does that work?

So basically your point seems to be take all the credit from Gus for one of our best signings (also blaming Gus for the fact he is apparently about to leave) but no doubt CMS was all Gus' work as he has not lived up to expectation. You are bullshitting but obviously none of us can prove it.

Renns

Renns Junior
Nov 8, 2006
Huddersfield/Birmingham

Ok, maybe we're not a very, very good team but we're nearly there.
kuszczak, Bridge, Bruno, Bridcutt, Buckley, and in my opinion (if we start playing the right way for him) CMS. All quality players on their day. That's why 3 of those players have all been linked with premiership clubs this jan. Its the manager more than the players which is the problem (not that I want him out) he needs to realise he has to have a plan B when A doesn't work.
We've only been in this league 1 and a half seasons and people are already complaining we're not promoted already, good things take time so lets back the team instead of moaning about it! We're 2 or 3 good additions from a play off place in my opinion.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He was replying to your post where you mentioned Sandaza (free), Holroyd (about £55K) and Harley (£300K) yet can't use Bridcutt, Kuszczak and Orlandi as examples back as they were free agents. How does that work?

So basically your point seems to be take all the credit from Gus for one of our best signings (also blaming Gus for the fact he is apparently about to leave) but no doubt CMS was all Gus' work as he has not lived up to expectation. You are bullshitting but obviously none of us can prove it.

My post was would you trust Poyet to spend big on a striker??? As for me bullshitting, I could write a book with what I have heard and know. But that's probably all bullshit as well. Looks like the proof is starting to be in the pudding for me. We will see what happens New Years Day, or shall I tell you now. They will be a team who have hit form, who we had the misfortune of playing at a bad time. Then onto Newcastle.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My post was would you trust Poyet to spend big on a striker??? As for me bullshitting, I could write a book with what I have heard and know. But that's probably all bullshit as well. Looks like the proof is starting to be in the pudding for me. We will see what happens New Years Day, or shall I tell you now. They will be a team who have hit form, who we had the misfortune of playing at a bad time. Then onto Newcastle.

To right about Ipswich..we struggled to draw when thy weren't on form

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Repeat post

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

That's the point though, we could all say I have heard things that would back up our view without actually having to prove it. There are a lot of people on here who bullshit. You may have brilliant sources who tell you everything that goes on at the club but as far as we are all concerned, you could also be making up rubbish.

In terms of your question about spending big on a striker, you used the examples I mentioned above so why are you using them as examples if your point is completely different.

As for spending big on a striker, yes I would trust Gus. I am confident he will get the right man this transfer window and we will improve on our 10th place finish last season, thus continuing his record on improving year on year.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
It's worrying that don't seem to be able to answer that question and instead star a thread to give you the answer!

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
What I, and probably a lot of fans can't abide, is looking like we didn't have any ideas. Too one dimensional, and obviously so. This is The Championship, and the managers/coaches of the other teams will have done their homework on us, and see where to hurt us

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Things could most certainly be worse but....

I think it is time to stop deluding ourselves everything is ok. The only teams we have beaten in two months are Bristol city, p'boro (just) and Huddersfield. Lets face it, they are all shit.

Changes must be made. The strikers are not producing. The balance in midfield is wrong. Too many similar players and players playing out of position. Coupled with the fact they are not entirely sure how to go forward.

The defence is ok. But short on confidence at the moment. El-abd for one had a shocker yesterday.

So in answer to the OP. No its not that bad. But looking to the future, changes to the personal/system must be made. The current setup is just not working out.

I hope poyet has the required nous to reassess. His pig headedness can be problematic at times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here