Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there too many hen nights and stag parties in Brighton?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I know, they don't normally do too much harm etc. But they do dominate the town centre a bit of a weekend evening and I know my heart sinks if you ever find yourself trying to have a bite or a chat in a pub and suddenly there's a group of dowdy frumps screeching away, the frumpiest/grumpiest of all wearing a veil covered with condoms and with an L plate on the back.

And then you read this in the Argus:

Brighton’s dubious reputation as the stag and hen capital of the south has been thrown into question after weekend violence erupted.

Now there are calls for stricter controls on drunken revellers who arrive in big groups from all over the country.

A doorman suffered a broken foot on Saturday night during clashes with a 20-strong gang of Londoners who had already been thrown out of a gay venue by police after hurling homophobic abuse at customers.

Brighton is regarded as one of Britain’s premier stag night capitals, rivalled only by Blackpool.

But many city centre bars and clubs, worried about trouble, refuse to let in large parties, forcing them into backstreet locals further afield.

Councillor Jason Kitcat, whose Regency ward includes West Street, said the city needed to think up new ways to cater for large groups.

He said: “We desperately need to figure out a way people can go out and have fun safely without these kinds of problems happening.”

Places like Dublin and Newquay have seen their reputations suffer after stag and hen parties drove other visitors away.

City centre manager Soozie Campbell said people continually told her that stag and hen parties were a big problem.

She said: “It is a difficult question. There are businesses that depend on this trade.

“It is not an ideal clientele or an ideal market. It is bringing money into the city – but a lot of grief as well.

“I haven’t heard of a solution, other than nudging them out to somewhere less attractive.”

Saturday’s violence stemmed from a group arriving at R Bar in Marine Parade at about 7.30pm.

Staff said they arrived in small groups of three or four, so it was not obvious they were together until they were inside.

The group made abusive remarks about gay and lesbian students in the bar before taking off their jackets and throwing them around.

Police were called and ordered the revellers to leave.

Barman Patrick Cawley said: “They got nasty after their first drink. It was pretty stressful.

Police were called and calmed it all down.”

Minutes later the same group arrived at Belushi’s in Grand Junction Road.

Some got into the bar, but others were stopped at the door, sparking a violent struggle with security staff.

Sam Millors, assistant manager at Belushi’s, said: “The ones that were inside were trying to help the ones being moved off outside.”

The bar’s head doorman suffered a broken foot during the confrontation and was taken to Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton.

Crowds gathered outside to watch the trouble as police and paramedics arrived at the scene.

Three men were arrested and held in custody for questioning.

Shouldn't they send them somewhere crappier instead, somewhere that needs their biz a bit more?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I have to say I generally find hen parties more annoying than stag parties because they usually dress up in ridiculous outfits and spend large parts of the night screaming. They also seem to gain pleasure out of annoying normal punters that are just out for a couple of beers. Then at 3am you will inevitably see one of them lying in a ditch with make-up streaming down her face from crying about something she can't even remember and of course 2 of them will be having a massive bitch fight.

Stag parties are more often than not just a slighter larger than normal group of men having a good night out. Obviously there are a few exceptions to this rule with guys trying to start fights but generally it is the hen parties you notice.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Indeed, the issue in this particular instance seems to have been caused not so much by a 'stag party' as by a 'bunch of c*nts'.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Indeed, the issue in this particular instance seems to have been caused not so much by a 'stag party' as by a 'bunch of c*nts'.

And you tend to get more of these out on a cup final saturday, after spending all day on the sauce.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Jason Kitcat? I'm sorry, but that can't be real.

Hens and stags a real pain up here too, you just know to avoid the Grassmarket or Rose Street of a Friday or Saturday night.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Some right limp wrists about isnt there. Personally the stags can f*** off but if a hen party walks in then generally its a case of rubbing hands and cracking on

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I was in Whitstable the other day and there were f***ing hen parties there. WTF as they say in internet land. its stag/hen do's full stop that are the f***ing nause nowadays. its hardly news that people kick off pissed down west street that has been going on since a certain prince fancied a dip and a place by the seaside. but the stag do culture is f***ing ridiculous now. why does it always have to be an 'event' now. f***ing go carts a trip to somewhere that was interesting 15 years ago on ryanair and prossies. whats wrong witha few pints and a curry.

its a fine line to tread, its still brightons bread and butter no matter how frustrating that must before for the more genteel guardianistas or eco warriors. but brightons trump card in the battle for no.1 British Seaside Resort has always been it wasnt blackpool either. hmm toughie.

D

Deleted User X18H

It will all end in tears eventually. Brighton on a Saturday Night is like Benidorm or Magaluf, so much for Regency splendour

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can't say they bother me, they don't seem to frequent the decent pubs and clubs, certainly not the sort of places that you'd go for a "quiet pint" as stated above.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Can we not put them all on a bus to Eastbourne?

That's fine, send all the hen partys to my house. I'll have a go on 'em all. I'm not fussed.

Seriously though, I quite like seeing them out in town. It's a good laugh when you do see them!

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
What I don't get is why these cretins would make the effort to evade the security at the R Bar by coming in in drips and drabs just so they could start kicking off about gay people.

If you have a problem with gay people don't go to a gay bar.

In Britain's gay capital.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I was in the West Street Wetherspoons a couple of Saturdays ago, and it was wall to wall Hen/Stag do's, and the usual Spoons understaffing meant there was a pile up at the bar, and I took great pleasure in saying 'Yes please' when a barman asked, 'Who's next', totally jumping the queue about three deep at the bar and taking delight in the tuts and under-breath moans of the accursed incomers :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here