Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the fans of other clubs as clueless as Brighton fans?

Are the fans of other clubs as clueless as Brighton fans?

• Yes

Votes: 52 46.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Fence

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I don't understand the question

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • Losing to Barnsley was CMS's fault

Votes: 12 10.8%
  • This poll doesn't have enough options

Votes: 16 14.4%

• Total voters

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Indeed. So the point is, it is possible for someone's opinion to be clueless. The question is just at what point it goes from a different opinion to being an uninformed, clueless load of drivel.

I didn't say that. Of course Gus makes mistakes, all players and all managers make mistakes. People are criticising mejona for suggesting someone's opinion could be clueless - I'm simply explaining that it is possible for an opinion to clueless, and there certainly some clueless points of view on this forum.

No I'm not. I asked a question (the poll) - I haven't voted 'no'.
Again, I'm not.

I'm not. There are a few loud nutters though that come out with the most ridiculous comments, either because they're fishing, they're suffering from depression or have anger management issues, or they are clueless.

There are lots of managers that are currently better than Gus, but we are not a very big club, so most of them would want to manage a bigger club. Who do those that want Gus to leave recommend we replace him with?

Jeez you're going for it.

I'd agree with you on one point ... who do we get better?

Saying that, labelling (us) B&HA fans as clueless (as you certainly did) is pretty poor imo

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Jeez you're going for it.
:shrug:
Saying that, labelling (us) B&HA fans as clueless (as you certainly did) is pretty poor imo
Have you read the poll options? It's not a particularly serious question is it. I'm not labeling BHA fans as clueless, I'm taking the piss because I find the drivel from some of the posters here frustrating.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
:shrug:
Have you read the poll options? It's not a particularly serious question is it. I'm not labeling BHA fans as clueless, I'm taking the piss because I find the drivel from some of the posters here frustrating.

Whatever ... I must have missed your point

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
In this case, because there is a firm measure to contradict this opinion, then yes it is clueless,... he has repeatedly won the Prem, he has repeatedly produced world class teams and tactics,....I would argue that at this level Gus has had one season where he failed in the last dozen games of the season, and is about ( it seems) to produce another of the same, so there is no measure to support his top level credentials yet, it may come, but not at the moment.

Ferguson is a good manager, but world class tactics?

Remember that he has had more money at his disposal than most managers, was fortunate to have the class of '92 come through together, a feat he has failed to come near to replicate in the last 20 years.

In the Champions League he has won it twice in 20 attempts, the first was when his team was outplayed for 89 minutes, and the second was on penalties against another English team.

I would argue that the Premier League is slightly more competitive than the Spanish or Scottish leagues, but not greatly so (4 teams have won it in the last 17 years, and Manchester City have only been competitive in the last couple of those years).

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
We do seem to have the most fans with serve selective memory

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thought so.
The initially unsaid message in the OT was that Gus knockers were the clueless ones.

They aren't. They just get fed up with the results from a collection of ex PL and CL players finding winning such a difficult thing (14 in 37 games), whereas clubs with tiny player budgets and income such as Barnsley, Bristol C, Charlton and P'boro have clocked up almost as many.
To top that, teams like Hull 21 wins and CP 18 wins, march on.

Yes, it is an amazing stadium thanks to TB, and the occasional win keeps morale up, but for the second season in a row, something is not right on the playing side.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Yes, it is an amazing stadium thanks to TB, and the occasional win keeps morale up, but for the second season in a row, something is not right on the playing side.
I couldnt have said it better myself, its not being deliberately negative, its simply reflecting a view of where we are in reality, and posing a question.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I find that Liverpool fans are the most deluded that I meet

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Ah well this is where some of us part company. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the playing side. Like 99% of the teams at all levels in Britain we win games, draw games and lose games. We play well, so-so and badly. We get the advantage of refereeing decisions and we have some go against us. The team has had money spent on it and, as you'd expect, it's in a higher league position than before it had money spent on it. If we were still in League One, or struggling Wolves-style at the foot of the Championship then I'd agree with you. As it is what more do the more impatient fans realistically want? The answer seems to be "Well we shouldn't go three games without a win and we should be one or two places higher", which .... well I won't say 'is clueless' rather I'll say "displays a lack of understanding of football dynamics and an inability to see past the short-term'.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Clueless is probably an over-critical word to use.

I would say however that there appear to be some who express opinions based on expectations that are too high, guesswork, unsubstantiated rumours, what they want to be the case rather than what is actually the case, or based on little or no knowledge of facts.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Ah well this is where some of us part company. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the playing side. Like 99% of the teams at all levels in Britain we win games, draw games and lose games. We play well, so-so and badly. We get the advantage of refereeing decisions and we have some go against us. The team has had money spent on it and, as you'd expect, it's in a higher league position than before it had money spent on it. If we were still in League One, or struggling Wolves-style at the foot of the Championship then I'd agree with you. As it is what more do the more impatient fans realistically want? The answer seems to be "Well we shouldn't go three games without a win and we should be one or two places higher", which .... well I won't say 'is clueless' rather I'll say "displays a lack of understanding of football dynamics and an inability to see past the short-term'.

Excellent post.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
a lack of understanding of football dynamics and an inability to see past the short-term.

This. People are wetting themselves over ONE game, or THREE, or FIVE. The season is long and whilst losing to barnsley was tedious and awful, you can just as easily point to cardiff away or hull/huddersfield at home to see positives. The inability to look beyond the immediate is what makes people seem clueless and bipolar - if we lose on sun this place will be in suicidal meltdown, but who knows we won't then win 7 on the spin and suddenly (other than bragging rights) the loss won't matter?

I try to see over 'quarters' of a season, every 10-12 games. We've won about 5/6 and drawn 3/4 out of the last 12 (I think) which is promotion form. On a long enough scale the Barnsley result, whilst annoying, doesn't seem as important.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
From my personal point of view I actually don't mind people saying 'Gus Out' - if that's their honest measured opinion and they stick with it even when the team's winning. The real 'clueless' ones are those who say (after a few defeats) 'Poyet out!', and then after a relatively good spell say "Well I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong", and then after three or four games without a win go back to "I was right to have my doubts about Poyet" It's that bi-polar, short-term headless chicken mentality that helps get fans branded as 'clueless'.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I hope we have a wide array of numbskulls on the board. And evidence points to the fact we do. Important to remember every one of us is an idiot to someone else. And if that isn't the case, then that simply means the unidiotifiable has never said a word or flashed a glance at anyone.
The internet is the home of immediate and oft absurd over-reactions. In public they'd be the same, but generally kept in our heads and even when spoken barely remembered. So there'll be freakouts and aggressive callings and flounces and screeches for mercy, but ideally we all get to recall when we log off that perhaps life goes on outside of here and that each of us on here is unlikely to be exactly as we are in person.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Definitely the most deluded fans on the internet.

I won't have that. The prize has to go to Portsmouth fans who couldn't understand why they weren't signing players capable of getting them back into Europe as the club went into administration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here