Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are Newcastle going to stay up? (Suggestion - don’t open if you don’t care :smile:)

Will Newcastle stay up?

• Total voters

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It would be simply glorious if Chelsea had a January recall clause and took him back next week. Palace’s top ten ambitions would be extinguished in a heartbeat.

From what I heard, they DO have a recall clause, but it can only be activated if he plays fewer than a certain number of games, which he’s already exceeded.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I believe only one PL team in the history of the PL has survived with that points total in January. Can’t see them suddenly going into top ten form even if they do sign a few old mercenaries.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Watching them all turn on Bielsa would be Box Office.

There are a few Leeds fans who want Graham Potter approached to replace Bielsa and think he'd be tempted, and at least one who thinks Brendan Rogers will be their next manager. Amazing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There are a few Leeds fans who want Graham Potter approached to replace Bielsa and think he'd be tempted, and at least one who thinks Brendan Rogers will be their next manager. Amazing.
I thought they all called him Harry Potter's Dad and mocked him :shrug:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Voted yes but also not sure.
After Saints (A) on Sunday they have two weeks in which to 'buy' a team. But even PSG and their Super Team didn't gel overnight. But Watford (H) & Leeds (A) are 100% must win games in January.
After that are Everton (H) & Villa (H) by which time that 'big name' may have an influence. In theory, they could end February with Played 26 & 23 Points.
March, and I'm being realistic that by then they've an average team, will see 3 games of which 2 are winnable at home. Us & Crystal Palace. I'll add 4 pts so now 29 / 27
April.By now they are in trouble. Wolves at home is a must win and Norwich away is the same. Sadly for the 5 games I'll give them 6 points. 34 / 33
Everton (A) is TBC so maybe 1 point. 35 / 34
In to May and it's trouble. Man City (A) and Arsenal (H) will bring 0 points. 37 / 34
Last game and a big 6 pointer. Away to Burnley. 38 / 34 and relegation

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Yes. i actually think they have got a half decent squad as it stands and when their injuries clear up they should just sneak above the dreaded line.

The new players that they are being associated with will take a bit of time to settle but there are enough poor sides down there for them to survive. IMO

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Will they make it to 40 points...no way, not a chance. Could they finish above Watford, Burnley or Leeds...yes. They may still be down there but it's very close between those sides and a few 6 pointers going their way may make the difference

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I believe only one PL team in the history of the PL has survived with that points total in January. Can’t see them suddenly going into top ten form even if they do sign a few old mercenaries.

What gives them a chance is that they are part of 4 or 5 equally poor teams down there and only 3 of them will go down. They only need to be better than 18th on GD, it could be as low as 32 pts or so.

Go back to 2010, and 30 pts with a GD better than -40 would have kept you up. There's probably other examples, but if Watford, Burnley and Norwich remain equally shit, and perhaps a.n.other gets dragged into it, Newcastle even with 1ppg might find they're close. I can see a low total being enough next May.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They're only a few points below the line at the moment due to the paucity if the teams directly above them. With allegedly 200+ million to spend in January I can't see how they won't have enough to overhaul the likes of Leeds and Watford and keep themselves above the line come May.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Newcastle, Leeds and Villa were my choices (hopes) for relegation ... 2 out of 3 won't be bad as some philosopher once said

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Going to hopefully enjoy the last few weeks of the season watching a relegation battle which has nothing to do with us………..and at the moment there are so many potentially good outcomes. With Norwich already looking ****ed, one or more of Toon, Burnley and Leeds joining them would be immensely enjoyable (ideally two from three, with Watford escaping)

Newcastle/Burnley last day of the season could be interesting

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wonder how their Management Team will explain to their New Masters the concept of Stoke City on a Tuesday Night? :lolol:

And two from Rotherham, Wigan, Plymouth, Oxford and Wycombe (assuming the current leader of League 1 will be promoted. Oh, and that's Sunderland :lolol:)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It doesn't seem as though Newcastle have a clear plan on where they are going. However, if they can bring in the likes of Trippier and Aubameyang I think they will stay up. Things aren't looking good for Norwich and Watford, while Burnley's threadbare squad could be found out during these Covid-ravaged times.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I believe with some

KHMAGUGYMZBYXEX7KR5FAYJZPI.jpg

can take care of the situation for the Newcastle roster.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
My heart voted ‘down’ but with all that money and the home crowd they could easily go on a very decent run. And there’s some really, really poor teams just above them. I actually think this is one season too far for Burnley. They just don’t seem to be hard to beat anymore.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's a tough one and for me it comes down to the sort of players they can bring in over the next few weeks; not just their quality but whether they willing to risk a contract that could very well see them in the Championship next season. Unless there's such a thing as a six month contract with a release clause on relegation?

What I mean is if they're targeting some pretty big name players they've either got to be throwing tons (and I mean tons) of money at them (likely) or have such a good sales pitch as to convince them relegation isn't on the cards and that Smug Eddie is the Messiah (he isn't, that's Bielsa, obvs).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here