Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are mobile phones and wifi the new smoking?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Last century everyone took up smoking and pretended not to know the harmful effects until they started dying from cancer.

Could we be about to hit a new phase of mobile and wifi related cancers? Come on it can't be doing us any good can it??!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's not a bad shout bearing in mind they work on microwaves. There are schools of thought that prolonged use could be damaging our brains. The mobile phone companies say there is no proof but then again so did the tobacco companies not that many decades ago.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Last century everyone took up smoking and pretended not to know the harmful effects until they started dying from cancer.

Could we be about to hit a new phase of mobile and wifi related cancers? Come on it can't be doing us any good can it??!

i am not going to get to sleep now thinking all about this lol

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think the comparisons are very very scary. The difference is it's impossible to opt out without living in some remote part of Britain.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Turning off now........

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Don't know really, but didn't the Victorians think that travelling at speeds over 20 mph would be damaging if not fatal?

Thats why they had the man with the red flag walking in front of early trains.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't doubt this theory. I think it holds some water, although I'm not 100% convinced by it.

I work with someone who talks a lot about the chemicals in shampoos, deodorants and household cleaning products etc permeating our skin and causing all manner of serious health problems over time. I don't doubt this either.

Do I worry ? For myself, no. Cancer touched my life very early on when my Dad, Nan & Grandad all died of it within 12 months of each other (I was 13 years old at the time). In recent years I watched my step-dad die of it too. I don't really fear it anymore as a result.

For future generations though I am concerned about all manner of things. Technology has progressed far beyond what we can really handle I suspect. Pandora's box if you like.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The answer to the thread title is yes in terms of addiction. The cancer bit is as yet unproven.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't think we need be too concerned with 3G. It takes for f***ing EVER and invariably stops working halfway through anyway. You'd have to have a lifespan of about 449 for 3G to have any detrimental impact whatsoever.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Not quite the same thing though. People thought smoking was harmless because there had been no serious research to prove otherwise until Richard Doll's in the 50s.

There's been plenty of research on mobile phones and the overwhelming majority reject the idea that mobile phones cause cancer, although it definitely can't be proved that they don't - there's a very good summary of the situation here World Health Organisation verdict on mobile phones and cancer Science Update

Personally, I believe there's little risk but I'm not a heavy user of mine anyway

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the basic science tells us that mobiles and such will not cause cancer. the radiation required to damage DNA is in the blue light range - ie UV. microwaves are way, way further back down the spectrum. they will heat you a little, but they dont have anything like the energy levels to do that meaningfully either. phones transmission power is in the order of mW rather than hundreds of W your microwave uses to cook. anyone worried about this as a cancer risk shouldnt use a TV which probably exposes them to more radiation.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Going down the anti social route I was in planet hollywood the other night, table next me had a bunch of wag style mum's and at least 8 brats, at any one time rather than controling their kids at least 3 of the 5 mum's were texting

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Recent research I read stated that you'd have to sit in a room with wi-fi switched on for about a year to get the same exposure as a 20 minute mobile phone call. I have noticed I've had more headaches since I've used wi-fi, although this could be a coincidence of course. Of the two i think mobile phones are the greater danger in terms of heating the brain, especially for teenagers and childen who's brains are still developing.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I managed to give up smoking, I'm not sure i could give up my mobile phone and inparticular wi-fi access to the internet so easily.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
wheres [MENTION=2850]brunswick[/MENTION] when you need him. There must be a conspiracy theory here. I'd say that if there were problems with mobiles we would have begun to see them emerging by now. Not far short of 20 years since they began being widely popular.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
[MENTION=661]Hatterlovesbrighton[/MENTION]

at your call sire :) //puts on cape and slides down pole//

the 3g tetra masts are horrendous, so many police have died since they switched VHF radio to 3G radios. They even put these up in schools as fake plastic trees.

i remember a guy at work who had his phone (older mobiles had more nasty frequencies but then came 3g and wifi) on his hip almost 20 hours a day- he ended up having a "non related" hip replacement.

nothing is proven yet, but speak on the phone for an hour and feel your head pound, especially on a poor signal.

use a 3g usb modem and put the laptop on your lap every day for a week, and see your sex life go downhill.

nothing is set or proven but for sure all these frequencies (and some broadcast on the same freq as the brain) do more harm than good.

again, as i only get insults unless i use the bbc as a source, i give you another bbc finding.

i personally use orgonite all around the internet devices at home, and keep my phone off the cell (flight mode) loads.

images

stick one of these by your router (research 1950's William Reich, the Austrian Scientist....this is not new age fairyland nonsense).

3184586861_8a0e6bc7e7.jpg

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[MENTION=661]Hatterlovesbrighton[/MENTION]

at your call sire :) //puts on cape and slides down pole//

the 3g tetra masts are horrendous, so many police have died since they switched VHF radio to 3G radios. They even put these up in schools as fake plastic trees.

i remember a guy at work who had is phone (older mobiles had more nasty frequencies but then came 3g and wifi) on his hip almost 20 hours a day- he ended up having a "non related" hip replacement.

nothing is proven yet, but speak on the phone for an hour and feel your head pound, especially on a poor signal.

use a 3g usb modem and put the laptop on your lap every day for a week, and see your sex life go downhill.

nothing is set or proven but for sure all these frequencies (and some broadcast on the same freq as the brain) do more harm than good.

again, as i only get insults unless i use the bbc as a source, i give you another bbc finding.

i personally use orgonite all around the internet devices at home, and keep my phone off the sell (flight mode) loads.

images

Would that image not be the same if I simply rested my hand on my hand for 15mins?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
no because the mobile is hot due to man-made unnatural frequencies within the ether.

your hand is a part of you, it is resonance with 'you' and your natrual harmonic.

your comment is like saying "chemotherapy is ok, it is just heat" - i helped someone recently who had years of chemo and the breasts were gone, lymphs gone, fingers can't bend, skin is thin etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here