Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are mobile phones and wifi the new smoking?

There is no comparison with cigarettes. The tobacco industry for years had evidence of there being direct links with cancer and denied it. With mobiles there is a lot of independent research which so far is inconclusive. There could be possibly be a link (theoretically) but there is no which strongly supports this. And conversely you need a lot more data to actually be able to disprove something than to prove it (which is why people worry about the long term risks - we need longitudinal data to disprove this)

The World Health Organisation recently classified mobile phones as "possibly" causing cancer. Now, the scare mongers such as the Daily Telegraph have said it's "putting mobiles in the same risk category as lead, the pesticide DDT and petrol exhausts" (Daily Telegraph May 2011)

Except if you don't want to deliberately mislead people you would point out that the "possibly" category is a bit of a catch-all which includes everything from carpentry to chloroform. For a more measured view read this piece by Cancer Research UK

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Recent research I read stated that you'd have to sit in a room with wi-fi switched on for about a year to get the same exposure as a 20 minute mobile phone call. I have noticed I've had more headaches since I've used wi-fi, although this could be a coincidence of course. Of the two i think mobile phones are the greater danger in terms of heating the brain, especially for teenagers and childen who's brains are still developing.

Is that based on wi-fi in terms of a router etc? As I think wi-fi uses a higher frequency than mobiles use and therefore potentially more 'dangerous'. Not doubting your research, but of course it poses more of a possible problem when the majority of mobile phones these days have wi-fi built in.

Not that I really think it's of that much concern, there's plenty of things we are exposed to every day that could cause cancer. I don't think the risk involved with mobile phones or wi-fi, if present, is particularly high.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We wont know for another 20 years if the effects of excessive mobile phone usage has done any damage. I feel sorry for the kids who will have arthritis by the time they get to 40 caused by sending 100+ texts a day.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
We wont know for another 20 years if the effects of excessive mobile phone usage has done any damage. I feel sorry for the kids who will have arthritis by the time they get to 40 caused by sending 100+ texts a day.

Whereas this morning someone just fell off a ladder in Seaford. They sent the air ambulance but I gather the prognosis is not good.

It's the old dangers that are still fatal.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
There is no comparison with cigarettes. The tobacco industry for years had evidence of there being direct links with cancer and denied it. With mobiles there is a lot of independent research which so far is inconclusive. There could be possibly be a link (theoretically) but there is no which strongly supports this. And conversely you need a lot more data to actually be able to disprove something than to prove it (which is why people worry about the long term risks - we need longitudinal data to disprove this)

The World Health Organisation recently classified mobile phones as "possibly" causing cancer. Now, the scare mongers such as the Daily Telegraph have said it's "putting mobiles in the same risk category as lead, the pesticide DDT and petrol exhausts" (Daily Telegraph May 2011)

Except if you don't want to deliberately mislead people you would point out that the "possibly" category is a bit of a catch-all which includes everything from carpentry to chloroform. For a more measured view read this piece by Cancer Research UK
Where do you carry your mobile? Is it dangerous near your heart or in your trousers near your balls? Mind you more sterile people might save the world over-population crisis.

cobbyseagull

Jul 31, 2008
As said before in terms of addiction most definately. I work with people who never seem to put there phones down.They all seem to have i phones, you try and have a conversation and they talk to you looking at there phones or you ask them anything and they get the answer from the goddamn phone!

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
The World Health Organisation recently classified mobile phones as "possibly" causing cancer.

most of your post is interesting and good, but the WHO are one of the biggest controlled scumbags on the planet. They are big Pharma front men just like the FDA. i really don' know where to start...aspartame, swine flu...

have you seen how a cure for cancer was stopped by the likes of them?

http://www.burzynskimovie.com

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
[MENTION=661]nothing is proven yet, but speak on the phone for an hour and feel your head pound, especially on a poor signal.
Because you've been straining to hear.

use a 3g usb modem and put the laptop on your lap every day for a week, and see your sex life go downhill.
Because you've been on the internet the whole time, rather than talking to women.
(Although you shouldn't put your laptop on your lap, it can damage fertility, because of the heat not Radioactive Internets)

i personally use orgonite all around the internet devices at home
:)

What if the Orgones turn negative?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i remember a guy at work who had his phone (older mobiles had more nasty frequencies but then came 3g and wifi) on his hip almost 20 hours a day- he ended up having a "non related" hip replacement.

nothing is proven yet, but speak on the phone for an hour and feel your head pound, especially on a poor signal.

use a 3g usb modem and put the laptop on your lap every day for a week, and see your sex life go downhill.

nothing is set or proven but for sure all these frequencies (and some broadcast on the same freq as the brain) do more harm than good.

but what harm is being done? i wouldnt say the effects of phones are zero, obviously heat does have some impact, but usually short term. we generate alot of heat anyway and we have very good ways of disappating excess. Anecdotes about a chap with a hip replacement from wearing a phone on his belt really have to be considered alongside the hundred of thousands of belt-phone carriers who dont have a hip replaced, and the millions who keep it in their pockets instead. holding a laptop on your lap is going to push 50-90W of heat into your groin, while the 3G dongle is going to be 1/100th of that and with an antenna focusing the energy in the other direction, so which is causing a lack of labido? if indeed it even does, it might be the stress from being in a job that requires you to work in such a manner.

the question needs to be better qualified: is there any health effects of phones; or, is it are there any long term or significant health effects of phones? different answers.

chemo is chemicals. lots of very nasty chemicals. heat at the levels here is benign.

Sep 20, 2005
All of this is pretty small stuff compared with the damage caused by petrol engines. According to a Radio 4 programme I heard a few years back, the average family car pumps out three times its own weight in poisonous, deadly carbon monoxide per annum. Obviously taxis, trucks, vans, 4 x 4s, Volvos, airplanes etc, pump out much, much more.

And there really is irrefutable proof of the damage caused by cars. If you spend an hour in a room in the company of a chain smoker, or talking on your mobile, or even both together, you might end up with a headache or some minor damage that may or may not emerge some years later. If you spend an hour in a garage with the engine running, you will be dead.

So maybe driving will be the new smoking, although I doubt it. As I look down my street and around my living room, I cannot see a single solitary item that did not rely on the petrol engine to get it there. We're all hooked and nobody knows how to give it up.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
89f48df48b.jpg

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Do you want to chance it sitting with a laptop on your lap and your bollocks dropping off in the future ???

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
Because you've been straining to hear.

not true because with a long chat on skype there are no effects, even if breaks up.....but over an hour on a mobile with the same apparent "manifested experience" - the head gets hot and starts to pound.

also heat does not damage fertility....but unnatural electromagnetic frequencies that manifest to our senses as heat can.

....and yes, too much time on the internet can make the misses degrade to luke warm on occasion...heheh.

/red X top right clicked.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Is that based on wi-fi in terms of a router etc? As I think wi-fi uses a higher frequency than mobiles use and therefore potentially more 'dangerous'. Not doubting your research, but of course it poses more of a possible problem when the majority of mobile phones these days have wi-fi built in.

Not that I really think it's of that much concern, there's plenty of things we are exposed to every day that could cause cancer. I don't think the risk involved with mobile phones or wi-fi, if present, is particularly high.

Yes, wi-fi in terms of a router in this case. I tend to agree with your last point. Mobiles, laptops etc are very obvious targets to worry about. Their impact in terms of anti-social behaviour is more of a concern to me than any cancer risk (and I've had cancer twice). The growing evidence that modern living in general is bad for you; nano fibres being absorbed into the body and interferring with your DNA etc, is a concern and ceratinly goes some way to explaining many of our modern ills which just didn't seem to happen to previous generations (ME, ADHD...). It will be decades before we know one way or the other the real damage being done I suspect. It is the young I worry for most, as the combination of use of potentially harmful technology on developing bodies and the lack of a physically and mentally healthy life style (not enough exercise and real social interraction) seems to be a bad combination. Our lifestyles have changed beyond recognition in terms of the pace of technological change compaired to any previous generations, and there's sure to be a cost somewhere down the line.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Recent research I read stated that you'd have to sit in a room with wi-fi switched on for about a year to get the same exposure as a 20 minute mobile phone call.

i'd be interested to see that research or otherwise know how they calculated that. just looked it up, the output of Wifi (0.1W) is about 1/10th 1/20th of a mobile phone (1-2W at full power, when distant from mast), so i dont see where such a massive factor difference comes from.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Last century everyone took up smoking and pretended not to know the harmful effects until they started dying from cancer.

Could we be about to hit a new phase of mobile and wifi related cancers? Come on it can't be doing us any good can it??!

A friend of mine died recently. He had a brain tumour. He ran his own business were he was constantly on his mobile via his bluetooth connection situated on his right ear. His tumour was behind his right ear. The hospital told his wife they are seeing more and more of these incidents. He was 41.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here