Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Macs really that great?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I am always amazed by these threads. Who are these people that find pc's hard to use? Ive used macs and they look pretty, and on the whole are easy to use, but then i never have any difficulty with my pc. Im not convinced they're worth the outrageous price.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I'm really struggling with this at the moment.

I've always been a PC man and regarded Apple products as very good but horrendously over-priced for what you get. I built a PC about 18 months ago with some fairly high specs and know absolutely that a Mac with similar spec would have cost probably double.

Notwithstanding this, Macs are amazing bits of kit and come with a lot of pre-installed software that closes the price gap quite a bit. The graphics are outstanding on a Mac and the screen quality is amazing.

I've been under a lot of pressure from the 'Once you Mac you never go back' brigade and it's finally starting to get to me. I am now seriously considering spunking some hard-earned on an iMac. My phone is also up for an upgrade and I'm looking at an iphone, despite being very loyal to Android/HTC for some while.

Decisions, decision, decisions.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
I am always amazed by these threads. Who are these people that find pc's hard to use? Ive used macs and they look pretty, and on the whole are easy to use, but then i never have any difficulty with my pc. Im not convinced they're worth the outrageous price.

On the contrary. I don't find PC's hard to use at all. Heck I even use Linux. Some people would say geek alert.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
yes, viruses are a numbers game. the number of mac users is near equal to the number of users running unprotected windows PCs so virus authors have been targeting macs as well

Really, so many I know don't have AV on their Macs. I guess the fact there are so many iPhones/iPads about has increased their vunerability for attacks?

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I use both an iMac and a Windows PC and there is just no comparison. The Mac wins hands down in practically every department, the only downside being the price. But if you have the money it really is a no brainer.

omgitsjames

Nov 24, 2011
California
Really, so many I know don't have AV on their Macs. I guess the fact there are so many iPhones/iPads about has increased their vunerability for attacks?

exactly, which is why that Mac defender (a rogue/fake AV) started affecting users. it hijacks your computer telling you you have problems and need to buy their software like windows antivirus 20xx (though I don't know if mac defender is as nasty as the one on windows). iPhones/iPads uses iOS which run apps in a sandbox making it inherently safer. iPhones/iPads are definitely a gigantic and lucrative target though a very difficult task. I personally think an attack on such a popular platform is not a matter of if but when.

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
I'd never go back to PC now. Bought a MacBook Pro in 2008 and it runs as well today as the day i got it out the box. So £1800 might have seemed pricey at the time but looking back now it's been amazing vfm given Windows laptops kind of slow down to a halt after a couple of years in my experience

And it works like the nuts too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
don't forget the display, the displays that Macs use are top class, worth a lot of money which arent included in cheaper PC equivalents.
I'm certainly not forgetting the displays. iMac displays are very good, although not quite top class (depends on usage). For my personal needs I use two monitors, both high quality, so if I were going for a Mac (as my main machine) it would be the Mac pro (without monitor), and you're looking at £2,500 for a machine that's of a much lower spec than my PC that was under £1k.
???

i'm speaking from experience. I've found it a lot harder to keep windows PCs in line than Macs.
It is harder to keep a Windows PC in line (although they have improved with Win7), for good reason. Apple control what software is written for Macs a lot more than is the case for Windows, so you get less conflicts, less issues, less available software, less viruses. As Macs gain popularity, more hackers will attempt to create viruses for them, but it's still a different system. PCs aren't for everyone, I have recommended Macs to some friends that would benefit from one.

Macs have their place, as do PCs, long live them all I say, keep the competition.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I love macs, and all things apple. I have a custom PC though, as it worked out cheaper than buying an iMac. I've had a few problems with the PC, however, in general it has been fine.

Macs are just so sexy though...

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Mine is my most prized possession. I do all my illustrations on it, it's got BILLIONS of photos and songs on it, and hasn't slowed down once in 3 years. The layout and ease of use with the operating system always used to be a big selling point for me, but Windows have pulled their finger out and 'borrowed' a lot of ideas.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Had mine for a few years now I reckon. Imac that is. Still as quick today as the day I purchased it, which is bloody lightning. I love the way you can oprn Imovie and Iphoto and photoshop and FM2012 and the internet and have the internet open etc etc etc , and it still wont EVER melt down. By comparison my old PC could not even handle phototshop on its own.

JUST BUT ONE. YOU WILL NOT LOOK BACK.

D

Deleted member 18477

Just In general I see alot of people on here who own apple products. One of the products I have never tried due to cost Is an apple Macintosh/Mac computer. But my question Is Are they that great? Also If so Does anyone know where I could get a "Cheap" Old one just to test. I use cheap lightly as Macs command a high price no matter the age.

yes. all apple products are brilliant! but personally i can't justify spending over a grand on a laptop for the things i want it for (internet and occasional word, excel use). if i was a dj or into art, photography etc then a mac would be the way to go for sure!

i'd personally rather have an iphone, ipad and a cheaper computer though for my uses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here