Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Crawley now the club of West Sussex?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be fair, I work in crawley and when going into town, you very rarely see Crawley shirts, but there again you don't see a huge amount of Brighton shirts around Churchill square apart obviously from match days

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Yep and as with probably most other footie clubs in Sussex, most Worthing fans are also Albion fans too. I think it's also true for Horsham, Eastbourne Borough and Lewes. I think people from Sussex just don't view Crawley as one of our own.

I think the problem with some Brighton fans is they think Brighton is Sussex. My experience is in the West and North of the county is that Brighton is viewed pretty much in the same way as Crawley, i.e. not really representative of the Sussex. To many people over the downs Sussex is small market towns and villages and Brighton is bohemian, seedy, urban and a different world.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Come now, we must address the mis-conception of a united sussex

Firstly - Lewes is the Capital town of East sussex - therefore the team of ES is lewes - altough Eastbourne Borough might have a claim

B) Chichester is the capitial town of West sussex - and everyone knows that Chic is a Hot bed of Pompy fans , therefore portsmouth is the team of WS

3) Mid-sussex is the region that covers the A23 - so Crawley are the Team of Mid-Sussex - and i belive that the boundery between East & West sussex "swung" from Hefield to Keymer sometime in the 60's ?

iv) Brighton and Hove became a City for political reasons and so did not have to sit in the "administrational shadow" of both Lewes & Chic

which therefore asks the question is Brighton & Hove actually Sussex at all ?

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
Lived in Crawley for a little while didn't see one Crawley fan just Chelsea and Man U shirts. I've seen Brighton shirts all over Sussex. It is a growing fan base. I have seen quite a few Lewes fans as well quite strange I know as they don't get many watching them. Also lived in Eastbourne and never saw an Eastbourne Boro shirt either just Brighton or EPL clubs. So my conclusion Brighton is the team of Sussex east and west and Crawley just doesn't compare and will never compare.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I can honestly say i can't recall seeing a single Crawley replica top EVER. anywhere. This includes the odd trip through Crawley in the car.

On a similar note, has anybody else noticed an EXPLOSIVE of albion scarfs, hats, tops, badges, car stickers, jumpers etc etc around Sussex recently. I see bloolin loads in brighton at the moment, and no i'm not talking about on match days. it's great to see!

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
i live in and grew up in Horsham and can honestly say no true horsham residents would ever support Crawley. To Horsham, Crawley is that bit of shit on its shoe you just can't flick off.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Crawley will only ever be anything in Crawley.

West Sussex is Albion fading into Pompey.

Can't even see people in Horsham taking an interest given the dislike of Crawley as a town by Horsham folk.

Horley and Redhill maybe.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
West Sussex is Albion fading into Pompey.

Not sure about fading, maybe. Shoreham, Lancing and Worthing are staunchly Brighton. It's only really when you get to the Bognor/Chichester area that you start getting any significant numbers of Pompey amongst the Brighton fans.

Crawley is just the prolapsed anus of Croydon and South London.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
If anyone seriously doesn't know the colour they play in then that is just ridic, I assume it was a joke.

I saw one at the Amex for the U19's the other week.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I have lived in Sussex all my life and I have never been to Crawley. Why would I want to go there? I can't think of a reason. It is not even on the way to anywhere.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bognor Regis Town are the club of West Sussex, tough times for them at the moment, but it wasn't that long ago they were competing on the same platform as Crawley Town.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Live in Worthing and work in Burgess Hill and have never seen a Crawley shirt in either place. Only know what it looks like because I've seen the odd photo on a news report or when the highlights get shown on South Today. As someone has already said it's Sussex - not East Sussex and West Sussex but SUSSEX. East and West were only created for administrative purposes. Never heard anyone sing 'good old west sussex by the sea' either.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Not sure about fading, maybe. Shoreham, Lancing and Worthing are staunchly Brighton. It's only really when you get to the Bognor/Chichester area that you start getting any significant numbers of Pompey amongst the Brighton fans.

that's very good!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley

prick

horshamseagull11

seagullshorsham
Dec 11, 2010
Eastbourne
I live in Horsham and work at Gatwick (saw palace team heading off to Manchester today n gave gm an ear full). and honestly I have never seen a Crawley shirt. Ive met people who watch crawley now and then but nothing more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here