Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Archer & Bellotti

I'm fully behind Dick Knight, but for people here to state that if you are not behind DK you are not a Brighton Fan, is ludicrous.

I understand the emotional nature of the argument, but surely if you pay money to see the team, sing the songs, wear the shirt etc, you are as much of a fan. At worst the non-DK brigade are unhelpful, but free speech and all that.

I'm not particuarly convinced by Tony Blair, using some of the logic expressed in this thread, clearly I can no longer consider myself a UK citizen! Reality check people :rolleyes:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I will try to answer the critics in a civilised manner without needing to get personal.

The Large One:

1. Dick Knight was indecisive in appointing a manager at the start of the season having been told by the previous manager (Peter Taylor) that6 the squade wasn't good enough. Still he gave new or extended contracts which tied the players as described above to the club so the new manager's hands were tied.

2. When he realised, as we all dfid, that we were in trouible he allowed us to go 12 games without a win before taking any action. This directly resulted in our relegation.

3. 6 weeks prior to BZ going to Spurs Sam Allardyce stated on Sky Sports that he had had an offer of £3m turned down for BZ.
Why did he then get sold for considerably less.

4. Check up your facts, if my informant is correct, this is based purely on the information that I have received, DK told Coppel to go to Reading because he needed the money received as compensation to pay Donne Mileham & Haddock. These solicitors were working on Falmer and had refused to carry on working if they were not paid.

5. Where did the money received from Spurs and Reading go?

Bwian.

At the time that my company worked for Greg Stanley he was idolised as the man who had bailed Brighton out of financial trouble. His association and dealings with Archer and Bellotti who worked for them and did as he was told where not under any form of srutiny.

This was the time when we had those horrible thick Blue Stripes with thin white stripes and were sponsored by SANDTEX. In one of my first conversation with Greg Stanley

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry pushed a key by mistake.

During one of the first conversations that I had with Greg Stanley I suggested that the first thing that he should do as and when he became Chairman was to bring back the proper Blue and White Stripes which was synonomous with Brighton & Hove Albion. This he did and rid us of those horrible red which looked like Pink shirts that looked like pyjama tops. We still have those today and hoperfully will for the rest of my life.

There was no question of Greg Stanley being a 'slimeball' at that time and I had no reason to doubt his loyalty, attitude or ambition towards Brighton. Hindsight is a great thing. He brought in Archer who was the major thorn in the ointment but on his appointment none of those who eventually opposed him had any idea of what he was to do. The same people sucked up to him as they do to Dick Knight and will do to Dick Knights eventual successor whenever that may be.

As I have said I hope JP gives the go-ahead for FALMER and when we are playing at our own new stadium and consolidated in Division One where we should be I will say Yes Dick Knight is a hero but let us just wait and see what the future brings.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
I will try to answer the critics in a civilised manner without needing to get personal.

The Large One:

1. Dick Knight was indecisive in appointing a manager at the start of the season having been told by the previous manager (Peter Taylor) that6 the squade wasn't good enough. Still he gave new or extended contracts which tied the players as described above to the club so the new manager's hands were tied.

2. When he realised, as we all dfid, that we were in trouible he allowed us to go 12 games without a win before taking any action. This directly resulted in our relegation.

3. 6 weeks prior to BZ going to Spurs Sam Allardyce stated on Sky Sports that he had had an offer of £3m turned down for BZ.
Why did he then get sold for considerably less.

4. Check up your facts, if my informant is correct, this is based purely on the information that I have received, DK told Coppel to go to Reading because he needed the money received as compensation to pay Donne Mileham & Haddock. These solicitors were working on Falmer and had refused to carry on working if they were not paid.

5. Where did the money received from Spurs and Reading go?

FFS - How many more bloody times?

He was not indecisive. He wanted Coppell; Coppell messed him around. Coppell joined as soon as he was ready.

Taylor OK'd all of those contracts. But the players' contracts is hardly the central issue. That squad was GOOD ENOUGH to stay up - but didn't.

Whoopy-doo if Sam Allardyce offered £3m for Bobby. Let's see if we can finally get this straight: DICK KNIGHT WANTED TO KEEP BOBBY ZAMORA. He thought it our best chance of survival in Divison 1. Either DK was responsible for keeping a good enough squad together, or he should have sold Bobby Zamora. You can't have your argument both ways.

Zamora was sold for what was then the going rate for a Second Division footballer at a club with little clout in the transfer market.

12 defeats led INDIRECTLY - not directly - to our relegation. We've been promoted with 12 defeats before.

You have answered question 5 yourself in question 4. And, just supposing DK did offload Coppell for the compensation. So what? DK's first priority is the club - not Coppell. I have heard this rumour floated around before, and I believe it is just that - a rumour. But I am not bothered if it is true. BHAFC ended up with a few quid. It costs hundreds of thousands of pounds to run the club, and hundreds of thousands of pounds for the Falmer process. Money which ordinarily the club doesn't have.

And please don't say 'well, get someone in'. We all know the answer to that one.:rolleyes:

bobbyzee

Feb 17, 2004
Division 1
shouldnt this thread be retitled?
archenemy & bellotti & man who helped save the club by putting in shit loads of time,effort, money and even though he doesn't always get it right, we love him for it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BensGrandad said:

There was no question of Greg Stanley being a 'slimeball' at that time and I had no reason to doubt his loyalty, attitude or ambition towards Brighton. Hindsight is a great thing. .

I just want to see if I am understanding you Bensgrandad. You were willing to take Stanley as being a potential saviour from day 1 and yet 7 years after Dick Knight has proved himself to be one, you still doubt him???

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Stanley's role was to look after Archer's financial interests - which is a bit like leaving King Herod in charge of Mothercare. It must not be forgotten that this made him originally Archer's human shield. As soon as Stanley headed for the hills (after the Concorde meeting debacle), Bellotti took the mantle over. All three are as culpable as each other insofar as they knew what they were doing, but it was clearly Archer's money and greed driving it.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
I have trouble taking BG (FG?) seriously. I suspected a wind-up but if for real then at most the bitter ramblings from someone who is no longer anywhere near the Albion board or any of its individual members (thank heavens too by the sound of it).

I don't believe any one man is bigger than the club. I do believe that Knight was an unwilling combatant who felt forced to get involved (once the unfortunate passing of his wife meant he had the time to commit to the cause). He has learnt the job as he has gone along and has made mistakes, a hell of a lot less than most Chairman as far as I can see. He is not perfect, he is not as rich as some Chairmen. He is an Albion man - without doubt.

Anyone with half a memory knows that no-one, absolutely no-one was in the wings waiting to take on the seemingly doomed Albion. He did. Remember that at least if nothing else, but I point to two championships, a ground in Sussex that has served us well enough for a temporary facility, AND we are one word away from working towards a new dawn in the Albions history.

As for that Chelsea supporting oaf Stanley, if you're his mate, clear off up to East Preston and join him on a Satdi. Have a few drinks on the penalty clause money he got from his kind loan and leave us be.

As our banners read at the time "That's Another Fine Mess We're In Stanley" and "Homeless, Broke the Boards A Joke". I feel we've moved on a little in the right direction from those days.

Personally I thank our current Chairman for there being an Albion to follow.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Hear, hear. And lest we forget the original title of this thread, and to take a leaf out of Lush's book:

VAMPIRES OF BRIGHTON (LUGA BELLOTTI'S DEAD) - with apologies to Warren Zevon

I saw a vampire with a street map in his hand
Walking through the North Laine in the rain
He was looking for the Lib-Dem party conference
Wants to get himself elected again

Catch him creeping round your polling booth
Better not vote him in
An Albion fan got fanged late last night
Vampires of Brighton again

He's the gore-bespattered gent
Who lured us all to Kent
Lately he's been overheard in Strasbourg
Better keep him well away from you
He sucks blue'n'white striped blood like Nosferatu

Saw Luga Bellotti eating steak with Ian Hart
Doing the vampires of Brighton
Saw Luga Bellotti eating steak tartare with Gary Hart

I saw a vampire drinking a Bloody Mary at Scally's
Bar & Grill
His slicked-back hair made me feel quite ill
Vampires of Brighton

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
One thing's clear to me.....if and when Dick gives up, we will look back with wonder at his "reign". No other chairman has been dealt a hand of cards so monstrously stacked against him. Who else would take over just days before your club is about to be relegated from the football league and about to lose it's ground for ever - and succeed in pioneering a resurgence to Div 1 (through astute choice of manager) and returning home to Brighton. Hopefully the biggest battle of all, Falmer, will also be won. However, if by some bizarre twist it is not, I would defy anyone to have bettered DK's achievements.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wienergull said:
Hear, hear. And lest we forget the original title of this thread, and to take a leaf out of Lush's book:

VAMPIRES OF BRIGHTON (LUGA BELLOTTI'S DEAD) - with apologies to Warren Zevon

I saw a vampire with a street map in his hand
Walking through the North Laine in the rain
He was looking for the Lib-Dem party conference
Wants to get himself elected again

Catch him creeping round your polling booth
Better not vote him in
An Albion fan got fanged late last night
Vampires of Brighton again

He's the gore-bespattered gent
Who lured us all to Kent
Lately he's been overheard in Strasbourg
Better keep him well away from you
He sucks blue'n'white striped blood like Nosferatu

Saw Luga Bellotti eating steak with Ian Hart
Saw Luga Bellotti eating steak tartare with Gary Hart

I saw a vampire drinking a Bloody Mary at Scally's
Bar & Grill
His slicked-back hair made me feel quite ill
Vampires of Brighton

That is class :clap2: :clap2:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
methinks Bens grandad doth protest too much.

having said that, what is it to do with his kids if he holds those views.

Whoever these people are they should be ashamed of themselves. We are all Albion fans here and although we may hold different views ( I think Waterhall for all, but there you are!) we all support the team.

I have said many times, Owners, managers, players come and go....us fans will aways be there.

Come on the TOWN:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

yeah....
he's been a feckin disaster

Attachments

• champions1.jpg
    champions1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 122

bobbyzee

Feb 17, 2004
Division 1
Curious Orange said:
It's nice having a Brighton FAN as Chairman don't you think!?!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
well said

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that this is about time to bring this matter to a close because it is obvious that some people are taking umbrage over the fact that I do not see Dick Knight as the God that others do.

I am fortunate to be able to see the wood from the trees.

The whole point of this thread was to tell others that because I have a view rightly or wongly at the moment and because my company worked for Greg Stanley before he was exposed for what he did with the other two it still doesn't make me a follower of those three or any the less of a Brighton Fan only time will tell which of us is proved to be right.

Meanwhile lets win the play offs and get back where we should be in Div 1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here