Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arcade machines that have swallowed too much of your cash

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I remember as a kid on ferry crossings to France for the holidays I would pump coin after coin into StreetFighter 2. I was always that stretchy guy Dhalsim, but I don't think I ever got near the end.

As I got older I remember one of my local pubs, when I were a wreckless underage drinker, had a House of the Dead machine by the Pool tables. I've always been shit at Pool so it meant I could leave my mates to have a few games whilst I blasted seven shades of shit out of pus filled zombies left, right and centre.

To think now how much money I must have frittered away in these things is pretty scary. It's not even gambling, you'll never see a return!

I'm sure some of our older posters will have tales of the original Space Invaders, Galaxians or Asteroids but what about those who are young now and hit the arcades for something to do of a weekend? I'm genuinely interested to find out what's popular now, and what was back in the day.

Perhaps we can unearth the one machine that has taken more money from NSC than any other?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
THIS bastard on the then Palace Pier, I played ONE game and was hooked for LIFE:
chasehq.png

also the legendary Out Run before they had seats to sit in:
vg_Outrun.jpg

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
ooohh what a thread, I remember when the Fun Fair visited Southwick Green i'd spend most nights on this:

190499714_27895c371c.jpg

also whilst travelling through France as a kid the Airwolf game was to be seen everywhere.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Good old school classic there marc, up there with hydraulic afterburner

completed streetfighter 2 arcade version(s) with every fighter inc blanca and zangief

put far too much mone in arcade machines as worked at a quasar with many machines. Mortal Kombat(s), Killer Instinct, SF2.........

Though pinballs caned more of my cash, possibly thousands - Lethal Weapon 3 was top drawer, Star Wars, Doctor Who, then newer skool ones like Addams family/Judge Dred

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Chase H.Q was f***ing brilliant. Can anyone remember what the racing game was called, where you started off in a rally car, then went to a Le Manns 24 hr car, then an F1 car. You had to overtake the cars in yellow to move up a position. I've done a fair bit of cash in that

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Operation Wolf.....GENIUS!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I had Gauntlet 2 on my Amstrad 6128K, what a game!

Out Run, Sega Rally and House of the Dead used to eat my money

Oooooh OPERATION WOLF! Nice one!

I liked the SIMPSONS and TURTLES games, which were basically both the same button bashing BRILLIANCE.

Also I remmebr being at Butlins or summat and constantly asking for more money to play COMMANDO, an overhead shooter thing.

Also there was a Ninja game which had a black bit over half the screen becuase it was deemed too violent for small kids so I had to stand on a stool to be able to see the screen.

They do NOT make them like that any more.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Asteroid machine (and a couple of bags of Roast Ox crisps) in the Windsor Tavern in the early 1980s. Ah, so that's where some of my student grant went.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here