Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

April 4 – Start of 2010 Baseball Season

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Not long now till all the hoopla starts. Yankees are away to the Redsox with the pressure on from the World Series win. They let World Series MVP Hideki Matsui and left fielder Johnny Damon walk away and replaced them with Curtis Granderson and one time Yankee Nick Johnson. I’ll still back the Mets as they are the NYC underdog after last seasons very disappointing performance. They definitely need to get a few questions answered – who will be the No. 2 starter after Johan Santana, maybe Mike Pelfrey but he looks far from reliable; can John Maine stay off the disabled list and will Oliver Perez ever live up to his potential. Also, can they compete with the Phillies who have now added Roy Halladay.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
What a fabulous time of year! Opening Day of the baseball season just around the corner.

I haven't managed to get hold of a copy of Sports Illustrated's season preview yet this year, and am woefully out of touch with the close season trades.

Until I have had a proper look, the only predictions I can make are in the National League; The Pirates will be dreadful; The Mets will under perform and the Cubs will start well and then choke after the all star break.

But its a fabulous time of year and I'm looking forward to it again this year - even though I don't yet have a trip planned to see a game.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Got tickets sorted for AT&T Park in August looks like a you get great views across the bay from the ground, looking forward to it.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Bit of a Tampa Bay Rays fan as I've lived down that way and, judging by spring training, they're looking strong. They'd win most other divisions but the AL East is really strong. As for others, the Twins will be contenders as will the White Sox, Mariners (with Cliff Lee) and Tigers aside from the usual suspects (Yanks, Sox, Angels, Phillies, St Louis).

Not sure Yankees are as strong as they were.

May head to the Yankees v Red Sox this weekend/next week. If not, the Rays visit Fenway later in April - nice!

Totally biased prediction is a rematch of the 2008 World Series with the Rays winning.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
May I suggest those that are interested check out Fantasy Baseball UK

Pick your team soon, it all starts Sunday :clap2:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I haven't managed to get hold of a copy of Sports Illustrated's season preview yet this year,

Only time I ever buy SI – good articles about Roy Halladay and player salaries. Their playoff predictions:

AL Division - Yankees over Twins and Rays over Angels. AL championship Rays over Yankees.

NL Division - Phillies over Cardinals and Rockies over Braves. NL championship Phillies over Rockies.

World Series – Phillies over Rays.

I’d go along with some of that but I think it will be the Yankees that get beaten by the Phillies in the World Series.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Here's the video summary of opening day for those of you for whom have yet to fall in love with this fabulous game.
We know Albert is The Man, but check out Buerhle's brilliant fielding assist at first base and the other highlights.

Stars old and new shine on Opening Day | MLB.com: News

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Good result for the Mets, 7-1 against the Marlins. Unfortunately the Mets had a bit of a SNAFU with the grand opening of McFadden’s, the trendy new restaurant at Citi Field. They only got the liquor license minutes before the first pitch which meant that a lot of punters hoping to get a beer before the game were left thirsty – I’m sure Bloom will make sure such a catastrophe doesn’t happen at Falmer.

portlander

Jul 16, 2003
Portland, Maine, USA
Excellent start for the Red Sox on Sunday night. Great to see the Yankee bull pen disintegrate, as it will all season. Nine runs for a team that won't be able to score wasn't bad either. Hope we smack Burnett all over Fenway tonight.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Tampa Bays first ever no hitter last night.

MLB.com At Bat | MLB.com: Gameday

Its just a shame that nobody seems to want to watch the Rays in Florida. Even though they are challenging the Yankees in that division this year, the cheapest $8 tickets wouldn't have sold out last night.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Only time I ever buy SI – good articles about Roy Halladay and player salaries. Their playoff predictions:

AL Division - Yankees over Twins and Rays over Angels. AL championship Rays over Yankees.

NL Division - Phillies over Cardinals and Rockies over Braves. NL championship Phillies over Rockies.

World Series – Phillies over Rays.

I’d go along with some of that but I think it will be the Yankees that get beaten by the Phillies in the World Series.

ill go with that

GO PHILLIES

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
As a huge Texas Rangers fan (I worked in Dallas in the 80s) I can't wait to see them live for the first time in 15 years in Oakland the weekend after next.
I don't think the As get big crowds so I was going to 'walk up'. Any advice?

PG

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
would you want to watch baseball inside?

I have watched the Cardinals in Phoenix under the roof. The last three games of the season about seven years ago. The stadium was packed and it was a great atmos despite both teams missing out on the playoffs. 110 degrees outside, but the whole stadium was air conditioned so it was about 75 degrees indoors. Bloody Great!

Florida just isn't a baseball state.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
As a huge Texas Rangers fan (I worked in Dallas in the 80s) I can't wait to see them live for the first time in 15 years in Oakland the weekend after next.
I don't think the As get big crowds so I was going to 'walk up'. Any advice?

PG

Fancy getting to see the Rangers for the first time AND they are leading the league. Amazing.

Oakland was the single most unfriendly and worst stadium I have been to. You will have no problem turning up and buying a ticket on the day, because there won't be many there. But I would have a look at their online ticket site so you can judge where to sit, like not in the cheap seats. You won't want to sit in their version of H block believe me.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Going to see the Mets vs the Cardinals tonight. Looking forward to it as it’s my first visit to the new Citi Field stadium

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Going to see the Mets vs the Cardinals tonight. Looking forward to it as it’s my first visit to the new Citi Field stadium

:cry: so envious.... I just hope the game is as good as the corresponding game last August when the good guys scored 5 in the top of the 10th to win 12-7

Have a great time !

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Fancy getting to see the Rangers for the first time AND they are leading the league. Amazing.

Oakland was the single most unfriendly and worst stadium I have been to. You will have no problem turning up and buying a ticket on the day, because there won't be many there. But I would have a look at their online ticket site so you can judge where to sit, like not in the cheap seats. You won't want to sit in their version of H block believe me.

Not for the first time. Followed them when they were very ordinary when I worked in Dallas 1986-87. Saw Nolan Ryan pitch for them, Reuben Sierra my favourite player. First game I ever went to, Steve Beuschelle pinch hit a grand slam to win the game! Saw them in Detroit 1994 in the bleachers with my Rangers hat getting grief from the locals. Believe me, I am not a glory hunter, just a long way to go! My eldest lad follows them avidly and he's never seen them play so we can't wait to see them in Oakland. The fact they are leading the League is a bonus. We've always had the hitting but FINALLY we have the pitching and defence.

Thanks for the advice, will perhaps try and go in the family area.

PG

Last edited:

beardosh

Insert witty comment here
Dec 14, 2009
This was my view of my very first Baseball game last year in San Diego against the Chicago Cubs. Probably wasn't the best game in the world but I enjoyed and my mate caught a hat & t-shirt combo that they fired into the crowd after the 7th innings!

SD069.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here