Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

April 4 – Start of 2010 Baseball Season

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Going to see the Mets vs the Cardinals tonight. Looking forward to it as it’s my first visit to the new Citi Field stadium

I'm due to be in NYC 20 - 24th September. I'd like to see a baseball game. What's step 1? (I know little about the sport or the teams but I'm sure it would be a good craic)

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I'm due to be in NYC 20 - 24th September. I'd like to see a baseball game. What's step 1? (I know little about the sport or the teams but I'm sure it would be a good craic)

I’d have to admit I’m biased towards the Mets as the Yankees are seen as the “evil empire” bit like Man U or Chelsea, they basically bought the World Series last season. But they are definitely the more successful team so far this season. Both have brand new stadiums – the New Yankee stadium is incredible, haven’t done Citifield yet will be seeing it this evening. Tickets for the Yankees are a bit more expensive than the Mets but Mets availability is better – you ought to be able to get reasonable seats for $50. You can get good deals at the club sites and some of the ticketing sites like Stubhub etc. Craig’s list New York has a lot of people who’ve had to change their plans selling tickets but you really need to be based in NYC to use it – when you’re travelling from the UK you’re best to book in advance. Both stadiums are about 25 minutes out of central Manhattan by subway – New Yankee stadium on the 4 line and Citifield on the 7 line.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Went to the old Yankee stadium in its last season and just paid on the gate (for an evening game, $70 I think). You can buy tickets at the Yankees store near Times Square too.

That was a nothing game in early June though. Tampa are still only two games behind the Yankees, and that series could easily decide who wins the division. Capacity is 52,000, average attendance 46,000, so you'd have to think tickets will be pretty scarce come the day.

Try here if you want to book in advance:

New York Yankees Individual Game Tickets | yankees.com: Tickets

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The Good News
BBC 5 Live Sports Extra are carrying live local US commentary of Major Leagues Games on Sunday evenings at 7pm :smile:

The Bad News
Tonight's advertised game, the Pirates @ Cardinals (I've been looking forward to it all week) has been replaced by Oakland @ White Sox :down:

(still worth a listen though)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Disaster for the Mets – a humiliating 14-1 gubbing by the Diamondbacks who are the lowest team in the NL. There will probably be a fire sale now with ticket prices to hang on to the fans they still have.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
So the Rangers wrap up the AL West at the Coliseum, home of their big rivals the Oakland As.

Best season for Texas since 1999, bring on the Playoffs! Hopefully Josh Hamilton will be fit. He already has the AL batting title in his pocket and maybe the MVP award.

PG

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Go phillies!!!!!!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The New York Mets fired manager Jerry Manuel and general manager Omar Minaya today. Not a big surprise really after their second straight losing season.

The Mets said a search is under way for a new GM, who will work with the team to hire a new manager.

“We are extremely disappointed in this year’s results and the failures of the past four seasons,” said chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon, the son of owner Fred Wilpon. “We need to hire a new general manager with a fresh perspective who will transform this club into a winner that we want and our fans deserve.”

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Holidayed in NYC at the end of August - rented an apartment in Queens for 10 days, and took the family (twice) to watch the Mets at Citi Field. Fabulous experience....really decent seats for $19 (first time we were upgraded to $60 seats as the crowd was a bit low). It was, however, slightly odd (at the age of 47) being asked for ID whenever I bought a beer!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
They've brought forward the first Rays - Rangers game to 630pm our time. Ordinarily I'd be delighted (rather than watching it in the early hours) but I have something on in London tomorrow evening. Does anyone know anywhere that will be showing this? Sports Cafe Haymarket?
PG

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Predictions for the playoffs? I’d go for:

Yankees / Twins – Twins in 5
Phillies / Reds – Phillies in 4
Rays / Rangers – Rangers in 5
Giants / Braves – Giants in 5

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol

Blimey, that is a bit bold going against both the Rays and Yankees not to go through...

NL spot on though!

If I wasn't worried about financial sitiation / no job, I'd be watching avidly!

Gotta love those Rays, low budget young talent reminds me of the Seagulls...

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The Yankees were wild cards in ’95, ’97 and 2007 and suffered first round exits each year. CC Sabitha looks a class act as usual but can you trust an ailing Andy Pettitte and an uninterested Phil Hughes? Plus the Yankees are the Evil Empire who pretty much bought the World Series last year and it will be nice to see them knocked out!

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Halladay no-hitter. Go Phillies!

My prediction is Phillies, Braves, Yankees, Rays.

Phillies to beat the Yankees in 7.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
All about the crick in their necks as Nellie Cruz blasted one 435 feet!!

5-1 to the Texas boys!

Go CJ Thursday.

PG

Backed the Rangers at 9-1 when they signed Cliff Lee in July. Didn't seem quite so clever when they drifted to 14-1 before the postseason started, but very impressed with Lee yet again last night.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Yankees in 6 (sadly)
Phillies in 5
Rangers in 7