Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apple - What makes them better?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Apart from the obvious

Apple do not have any viruses
Apple is built on top of Unix

What other reasons can you give, that justifies spending £1700 on a Mac Pro? What can be acheived on a Mac that cant on a PC?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Apart from the obvious

Oh yeah? http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39287472,00.htm

The first virus to hit OS X was reported as long ago as Feb 2006. It's true that there are fewer viruses attacking Macs, but then Macs have just 4 to 5% of the installed base: if you were a virus writer, who would you attack ?
Macs really are so much more expensive than PCs. I bought a new computer recently and did look at Macs but they nearly twice as expensive as Windows PCs - I couldn't see any reason to justify the extra cost.

The reason people buy them is a status symbol. It's the same reason why people buy expensive cars: a Porsche doesn't get you across town any quicker but it's a quick way of showing how much money you have. Same thing with the people who flash their Macs on trains.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gwylan; a Porsche doesn't get you across town any quicker .[/QUOTE said:
Do you want another bet vs a DAF ?:D

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
A Mac Pro is a good piece of kit but it's also an expensive choice. If you can afford it why not but frankly I can't see why anybody would want to spend so much for no good reason.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Oh yeah? http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39287472,00.htm

The first virus to hit OS X was reported as long ago as Feb 2006. It's true that there are fewer viruses attacking Macs, but then Macs have just 4 to 5% of the installed base: if you were a virus writer, who would you attack ?
Macs really are so much more expensive than PCs. I bought a new computer recently and did look at Macs but they nearly twice as expensive as Windows PCs - I couldn't see any reason to justify the extra cost.

The reason people buy them is a status symbol. It's the same reason why people buy expensive cars: a Porsche doesn't get you across town any quicker but it's a quick way of showing how much money you have. Same thing with the people who flash their Macs on trains.

Reading some of the interesting comments further down the page, that doesn't appear to be the actual reason.
I went over to Macs couple of years ago, and have kept with them despite wavering somewhat. My wife has always used a Mac for her graphic design business, so it was easier for me to integrate with her, on the basis that when her Mac went down, she could use mine, and thats where apple fall down i think.
I recently had a 14 month old iBook stop due to a Logic board failure; basically the laptop was then uneconomical to repair..after 14 months! Outrageous..!
It's fair to say i do not buy into Apple's 'cute, cuddly, we're here for you' marketing spiel anymore.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Reading some of the interesting comments further down the page, that doesn't appear to be the actual reason.
I went over to Macs couple of years ago, and have kept with them despite wavering somewhat. My wife has always used a Mac for her graphic design business, so it was easier for me to integrate with her, on the basis that when her Mac went down, she could use mine, and thats where apple fall down i think.
I recently had a 14 month old iBook stop due to a Logic board failure; basically the laptop was then uneconomical to repair..after 14 months! Outrageous..!
It's fair to say i do not buy into Apple's 'cute, cuddly, we're here for you' marketing spiel anymore.

Fair play but that can happen with a PC too. I've come across a number of very sick (and expensive) Sonys that have died a horrible death lately. Most people get Macs because they are already familiar with them, I doubt that many go out and buy one in preference to a PC otherwise, the cost puts most people off.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
There *are* mac viruses but it requires the user to enter their password to install, I don't think they are nearly as destructive as windows ones.

I think apple laptops (For the money) are good value, the desktop machines are a bit expensive i'll concede but i've got a macbook pro.

I've been one of them computer nerd things for most of my life and now when i'm using them day in, day out at work I just want something that "just works". OS X is much cleaner than windows (atlhough for file management, OS X sucks) yet if i need it i've got the familiar BASH shell.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Fair play but that can happen with a PC too. I've come across a number of very sick (and expensive) Sonys that have died a horrible death lately. Most people get Macs because they are already familiar with them, I doubt that many go out and buy one in preference to a PC otherwise, the cost puts most people off.

Yes your right, i had an early vaio (PIII 450mhz) when they first came out, cost approx £1500 at the time, and that went 'poof' early on :lol:

I managed to claim that the iBook was 'dropped' and they sent me a 'new equivalent or better' replacement, which was a MacBook Pro, worth £1300. In between times i'd bought another iBook, so was intending to sell on new boxed MacBook Pro.

Trouble is, the wifes G5 Dual core is so troublesome (heading for 3rd logic board..) we're gonna keep the MBPro as a spare (3rd) machine.. Thats a ridiculous and expensive way forward in anyones book.
:angry:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes your right, i had an early vaio (PIII 450mhz) when they first came out, cost approx £1500 at the time, and that went 'poof' early on :lol:

I managed to claim that the iBook was 'dropped' and they sent me a 'new equivalent or better' replacement, which was a MacBook Pro, worth £1300. In between times i'd bought another iBook, so was intending to sell on new boxed MacBook Pro.

Trouble is, the wifes G5 Dual core is so troublesome (heading for 3rd logic board..) we're gonna keep the MBPro as a spare (3rd) machine.. Thats a ridiculous and expensive way forward in anyones book.

True but believe me, for the safety of you marriage stay with a Mac ! I have never met a Mac user who did anything but hate a PC when they were forced to use one !

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Vaios are dogs - I had a later one and that's been nothing but trouble for me.

But I've had three Macs in my life, one of my own and two at work and they've caused me twice as much grief as all my DOS-based computers combined. In fact, a Compaq machine that I bought 14 years ago, which a friend now owns, is still going.

I think the idea that Macs are what's needed for design is beginning to die a death now. It was true some years ago (Xpress for Windows was a dog) but it's no longer the case.

Have you ever been unfortunate enough to encounter Apple's 'customer service' via the phone? It's like there's a ring of steel protecting anybody working at Apple other than front line call centre staff.

I had a problem with a brand new iPod and the experience I had yesterday has convinced me that I won't be spending any more money on any other Apple product-as much as they look the part and appear to be liked by all of their users. Get some decent customer service and I might re-consider.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Vaios are dogs - I had a later one and that's been nothing but trouble for me.

But I've had three Macs in my life, one of my own and two at work and they've caused me twice as much grief as all my DOS-based computers combined. In fact, a Compaq machine that I bought 14 years ago, which a friend now owns, is still going.

I think the idea that Macs are what's needed for design is beginning to die a death now. It was true some years ago (Xpress for Windows was a dog) but it's no longer the case.

We've had two VAIOs now - both have been brilliant - well the first one was until the movers dropped it and the insurance bought us the one we have now...which is great....But i spose it should be for £1800 (with flat screen)...

PS are like cars - you can get a lemon no matter what brand...

When I worked in an architects office years ago - they used macs for drawing and graphics on brochures etc...twas brilliant...

Now in Finance I use a pc for excel and calculations etc....

I think thats your split really....

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
When I worked in an architects office years ago - they used macs for drawing and graphics on brochures etc...twas brilliant...

Now in Finance I use a pc for excel and calculations etc....

I think thats your split really....

Theres no difference between the two in computing terms though. It doesn't matter if you're crunching numbers in a spreadsheet or doing a lot of graphics manipulation its all number crunching to the computer. Get a fast processor and a decent chunk of memory and they'll both do the job. Both machines are equally capable.

You want something thats a bit more secure and stable and don't mind paying over the odds for the marketing then get a Mac.

You want something thats value for money and has the extra flexibility to do exactly what you want with the configuration then get a PC.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Theres no difference between the two in computing terms though. It doesn't matter if you're crunching numbers in a spreadsheet or doing a lot of graphics manipulation its all number crunching to the computer. Get a fast processor and a decent chunk of memory and they'll both do the job. Both machines are equally capable.

You want something thats a bit more secure and stable and don't mind paying over the odds for the marketing then get a Mac.

You want something thats value for money and has the extra flexibility to do exactly what you want with the configuration then get a PC.

Great Post :clap::clap::clap:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Ever wondered why Vaios appear to fail just about as often as Apple laptops?

Sony do the electronic design work on Apple laptops - and have since Apple stopped selling ones that run on car batteries! Current ones are basically a Vaio in a slightly changed Powerbook or iBook case. And Sony laptops are unreliable, so Apple ones become the same.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Have you ever been unfortunate enough to encounter Apple's 'customer service' via the phone? It's like there's a ring of steel protecting anybody working at Apple other than front line call centre staff.

I had a problem with a brand new iPod and the experience I had yesterday has convinced me that I won't be spending any more money on any other Apple product-as much as they look the part and appear to be liked by all of their users. Get some decent customer service and I might re-consider.

Can't say i have, i get our computors fixed by the appledoctor in south west London and he's well dubious about some of their products..still keeps him in a living; Actually it seems 'I' keep him in a living.. :(

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford

It's absolute bollocks to claim that there are no viruses for Mac OS. There are a lot fewer viruses for Mac OS, but it's a much less widely used OS than Windows. The majority of virus writers just can't be arsed with an OS that's used by a few furry toothed gimps when they could target an OS that is running on 95% of the worlds machines. If Windows was a minority OS and Mac OS was the global market leader, the positions would doubtless be reversed.

Apple is built on top of Unix

Apple isn't, Mac OS is, but that's beside the point. You seem to be citing this as a positive without any real justification and making the assumption that a PC has to be running a Microsoft OS. Why would the average user care whether the OS they're using is built on Unix or not? It's something that Apple cite as a feature in their marketing, which is then repeated parrot-fashion by their disciples with no real understanding of why this should be an advantage over any other OS.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Why would the average user care whether the OS they're using is built on Unix or not? It's something that Apple cite as a feature in their marketing, which is then repeated parrot-fashion by their disciples with no real understanding of why this should be an advantage over any other OS.

Must admit, most of the casual apple fanboys do put a lot of weight behind that one. I bought a mac because (at the time) i wasn't to keen on any of the X window managers (GNOME is looking quite nice now). I wanted a unix backend with a unified and nice looking frontend (and I fancied a change).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here