Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apple really are taking the p*ss out of PCs now

Dyson

Oct 7, 2003
I don't think I know what I'm talking about - I know I know what I'm talking about.

Apple make bad machines. Apple make an ugly OS, which is very very hard to programme for. I own Apple machines and I have programmed for them.

IBM made a relatively good architechture in Power, and didn't compromise it much in PowerPC. But Apple implement it badly, very very badly. Ever seen the errata list for Apple's OpenFirmware? Or the mess of code needed to even *boot* on a G1, 2 or 3 machine (Generation 1 and 2 weren't sold with those tm's, they were 601 and 603/4 respectively)

Explain why OS X is hard to program for exactly?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I liked the Amiga. It was better than the Atari ST :jester:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Bill gates can go f***ing swivel, The Apple Lisa was the first machine to be sold to the public that used a graphical user interface, however it was xerox that ran the first prototypes.

Every year Microsofts share gets smaller and smaller, because of Apple and Linux systems. One thing that gets up gates nose big time is the reliability and speed of Linux servers and free programming languages like PHP, if it was not for PHP we might not have this messageboard.

I have to use Windows for work, but I am still waiting to shift over to Linux permanently at some stage when I can run the software in it, without any glitches.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
:ohmy: Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Wow! Who would have thought that this subject could arouse such passion. Maybe you should sort this out like men - pistols at dawn.

For the record I own and use PCs, but I like Macs too. I can see how both have their pros and cons. Let peace reign!:angel:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
US Seagull said:
As it is on Windows PC, and it's always ahead of the Mac version. Plus there are the multitude of other options on the PC.

As there are on the Mac, but Office is considered the standard on both so it makes sense to use it.

All doable on a suitably equip PC with a far larger selection of software to chose from. What's more you can have your PC be as powerful / not powerful as you want / can afford. Certainly not true of Macs. If I don't want to make movies or mix music so why should I pay for power I won't use? And where are the latest games?

I agree it is doable on a PC; I would disagree that there is a much larger selection of software to choose from however. A lot of top people in these professions use Macs and somehow I feel it isn't just because they look nice. Have you actually ever used a Mac? The latest games are generally available not long after PC versions come out; granted PCs are better for gaming but that's not an issue for me, or indeed anyone who buys a Mac as PCs are better in this respect, down to the fact that software support is superior. The gap is closing though.

You also don't need to pay for power you won't use. Apple currently make the eMac (low end, starts at £599 I think), the iMac G4 which is slightly more powerful. Then there's the Power Mac G5 for pros and the iMac G5 which is basically a very powerful home computer. Laptop-wise the iBook is the entry-level thing (and I LOVE mine) which is great for students such as myself, whilst the PowerBook is for the pros. So you can actually buy according to what you need.

Plug in a new one? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the computer and monitor in one box in the first place?

Not in my opinion as such things can be taken out if/when you need them. It is possible to replace the internal HD on a Mac, and two CD drives are wholly unnecessary as when copying CDs unless you feel that the advantage of not having to replace the CD being copied with a blank one once outweighs the cost of a second drive (in which case you have more money than sense)

You don't need drivers for USB hard drives in windows either. I know I just converted one of my old internal drive into an external USB drive. Plug it in and away you go. In fact, according to the manual with the enclosure kit you need to download drivers for the Mac. Still doesn't change the fact that maybe I don't want to pay extra for external drives and I don't want the clutter of a bunch of external drives?

Buy an internal one and replace the existing one instead then. And In my experience, plug and play with PCs was nothing short of a disaster.

Why are you so excited about a computer that is basically a non-folding laptop?

I'm quite happy with my fully-folding laptop, but I am simply impressed that Apple have managed to get as much as they have into such a small and attractive package, as compared to hulkingly massive PCs or indeed the Power Mac which is slightly more powerful but an awful lot bigger.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
PCs are used by people who don't need their computer for much other than wordprocessing, games or NSC. Ask any graphic designer / printer / architect / studio manager / sound technician / composer / producer which computer they use, it's a Mac almost every time.

Q: Which computer do you use TL1? A: Quite simple, really, thanks for asking. As a graphic designer, I use an Apple Mac. I find the software perfect for my design requirements, and if people send me files in PC format - no problem, my Mac copes with almost all of them admirably.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I used to edit a weekly newspaper for the IT industry and were always stuck for readers' letters.

One cast-iron way to get more reader response was to slag off Macs, so, every now and then, we'd put in some anti-Mac polemic and the emails would come flooding in: worked every time.

It still amazes me that people get so worked up about a computer and operating system. Personally, I think Macs suck, I've had to use several for work and they perpetually crashing; Windows machines are much more reliable but I wouldn't be fanatical about them.

Macs are the Paul Brookers of the computer world; good to look at, plenty of entertainment but ultimately ineffective. PCs are the Charlie Oatways; simple, effective and reliable.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Now that there appears to be a lull in the fighting...any of you experts able to tell me why my newly installed 160GB hard drive isn't showing up on my XP machine? (It's showing in Device Manager) PC World gave me a boot disc and said "Start your machine with this, it'll then see your new HDD and partition it for you". Can I say "What a load of bollocks" on here?

All I get is A:> and I don't know what the f**k to do with that-I sell petrochemicals for goodness sake. What good is A:> to me?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
@US Seagull - Yes, they still make Amiga's. The AmigaOne is a PowerPC system comparable to the old iMac specs wise but much, much faster

@Dyson - two words - Obejective C.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
PC User = "What can it do?"
Mac User = "What colours does it come in?"

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Only 1% or people who browse my web site use a Mac. Still their dinky new laptops look great.

Trouble, is that I could not run my programs on them. Many are designed exclusively for Windows.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
TLO is correct - Mac's are great for design and creative work. So if you're a girly designer then use a mac. Real men, those of us who like to program right down there on the bare metal without the need of cissy GUIs, will stick to proper computers.

PS - Actually Linux isn't that bad.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The Large One said:
...and PCs are FAR more susceptible to viruses than Macs.

That's because virus writer want to reach a wide audience. If they wanted to AFFECT a small group of artists they would write one for a Mac.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here