Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding the attendance announcement

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No one ever knew the true attendance then. Something about cash takings, and beatting the taxman, and create a cash fund to pay players 'extras'.

Yeah but you could get a feel for it-on a stand by stand basis you knew the capacity of each stand-

Looking back down Old Shoreham Road from either end after a match was another good indicator-

Exposed crush barriers in areas as opposed to the sea of faces when the same terraced areas were full-

Arsenal 1988 the Northstand was rammed at it's full 6,000 capacity-

Doncaster 1997 the same Northstand had huge spaces-

(but to be fair as result of Hillsborough & subsequent health/safety reviews,all standing areas remaining in lower leagues had 15%-20% reductions in capacity-as a result the standing capacity of 1997's North was some 4,500)

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Nothing wrong with applauding fellow football fans, and we don't have to do it. And the Forest fans I met in the North Stand concourse after the game were great. I said, "we've done a bit of a smash and grab raid on you there", and they took the whole thing in good heart, were very complimentary about the stadium and said they'd had a good day out, and wished me best for the rest of the season. I wish the other clubs would do it for us, as I always like to know how many we take away, even if it was only 200 or so to Middlesbrough, Burnley or some other northern club on a Tuesday night. Only Ipswich have done it so far I think.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I've never known it happen at any away ground i've been to. It's a bit weird, and a bit wet.

Not as wet as "we're only here for the Forest"

Seeing as they had among the largest away support all season,i believe the reverse is true...

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
It's embarrassing, never in my 25 years of following the Albion away have I heard the away attendance read out over the tannoy let alone heard applause.

Needs to stop, makes us look tinpot

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Maybe they could announce the attendance next time i go to the theatre, or cinema, and we could all give each other a round of applause - especially for those who've travelled quite a long way. It's barking mad.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
I think its a nice touch to acknowledge the support of away fans...especially as we're in a recession and people are looking to save money where they can.
How many miles did those Forest fans travel today? How much did that journey cost for them? How much money did they spend in OUR stadium?
I think they're quite deserving of a clap.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think it's a nice touch and shows a certain respect for fellow fans who have spent time & money supporting their team. If it fosters goodwill then it's a whole lot better than when I was a youngster watching football in the 70's & 80's where going away was like going to war.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Can't we choreograph this (we do everything else at the Amex)? Away attendance over 2000 get a polite round of applause and a cucumber sandwich on their way out. Less (yes even 1999) and we all do a hearty belly laugh, give 'em a round of 'did you come in a taxi' (unless they're Jordan they probably didn't but that's for another website never mind thread) and get to shower them in Seagull Shit from the Falmer Station bridge.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What the hell's that all about? And especially the sycophantic applauding of the away attendance. Lots of away fans have come down on a saturday afternoon to visit a new stadium - SO WHAT?

Just strikes me as incredibly small-time. I've seen massive away followings at the Goldstone without ever feeling the need to applaud them just for turning up.

I've never known it happen at any away ground i've been to. It's a bit weird, and a bit wet.

Maybe they could announce the attendance next time i go to the theatre, or cinema, and we could all give each other a round of applause - especially for those who've travelled quite a long way. It's barking mad.

Quite a lot of issues you have you have to deal with, it seems.

All the best.

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
I think it's a nice touch and shows a certain respect for fellow fans who have spent time & money supporting their team. If it fosters goodwill then it's a whole lot better than when I was a youngster watching football in the 70's & 80's where going away was like going to war.

Totally this.

Manners cost nothing and it is only fans applauding other fans for making the effort to support their club at an away match. It does no harm ffs. If you don't want to appluad, don't.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
There really are an ever-increasing proportion of mean-spirited people coming to the fore of late. Unfortunately, it appears The Albion support is becoming just as contaminated as the rest of our society.

Triffick. :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here