Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone stayed at The Grand?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I proposed to my missus over dinner in the Empress Suite in the Grand, down on one knee like the old cliché. The mug only went and said YES didn't she.

I was shitting myself too much to remember whether the meal was any good or not.

burstead

Not a Registered User
Jul 24, 2010
Surely then thats the answer, he would like to go there to remind himself of happier times.....I understand the afternoon tea is a lot of tea, oodles of cake and some very nice sarnies.

Scones, clotted cream, jam, finger sarnies, fun sized cakes and tea.

I worked there for a bit when it re-opened after the bomb too.

Cafu

Mar 5, 2009
Vida com Sr. Flor
I remained in loved hotel great I I all passed the time that makes the animal love candy to my hot italien the wife and was gotten passionate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not sure they do consider themselves 5-Star.

I don't think they do, I read the hotel is ungraded. They opted out of the star rating scheme about a year or so ago. I can only guess as to the reason why.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Friday 13th? You serious? :D

Sure am, I don’t believe in all that superstitious mumbo-jumbo so for me it’s not an issue. We wanted mid-August and a Friday. It just so happened this year it’s Friday 13th.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Sure am, I don’t believe in all that superstitious mumbo-jumbo so for me it’s not an issue. We wanted mid-August and a Friday. It just so happened this year it’s Friday 13th.

Fair play to you. So its at HDV is it? I'm pretty sure I'll be working.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't think they do, I read the hotel is ungraded. They opted out of the star rating scheme about a year or so ago. I can only guess as to the reason why.

They were, for years, a 4-Star hotel.

I guess they got downgraded.

Having said what people have said, it's not THAT bad - it's not as though it's a third-world flop joint. It's more it's like it's lost a smidge of its sheen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair play to you. So its at HDV is it? I'm pretty sure I'll be working.

HDV it is, reception is in the room which opens into the courtyard, meal is in The Dome room (the old Sussex Arts Club ballroom). Evening bash is elsewhere though. Come and say hello.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They were, for years, a 4-Star hotel.

I guess they got downgraded.

Having said what people have said, it's not THAT bad - it's not as though it's a third-world flop joint. It's more it's like it's lost a smidge of its sheen.

No, totally agree. I'm not knocking it, just pointing out that it is not a premium hotel these days. It's a bit like BA, once you start cutting corners and reducing staffing levels you change from being a premium product to just another product.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Hotel du Vin is excellent.

I was kind of indirectly involved with them when they opened their Brighton hotel. My boss knew the then owner, and managed to get a contract out of him to do their in-house magazine, which I ended up designing. It was one of my most favourite projects I've ever worked on, and the management there were great to work for.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hotel du Vin is excellent.

I was kind of indirectly involved with them when they opened their Brighton hotel. My boss knew the then owner, and managed to get a contract out of him to do their in-house magazine, which I ended up designing. It was one of my most favourite projects I've ever worked on, and the management there were great to work for.

They have been brilliant with us and I cannot praise the lady who is looking after us, Georgia, enough. It's interesting, when you're trapsing round Brighton looking for venues and people to work with; you can pretty much decide within the first few minutes if they're suitable. The worst of the bunch was Due South. Whilst I like their food (although I know some dont think it's as good as it's made out to be) I've now gone right off them. They were total and utter arrogant twats when we tried to discuss our wedding with them. Come on guys, at least be friendly. Blanche House were brilliant, they really were. HDV won out though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here