NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My Girlfriend and I stayed for one night May this year (a Saturday) as a treat for her birthday, i thought it was average borderline shit, the front of house team (predominantly eastern European) were surly, the room (front facing ) was jaded, a/c was crap and the prices for everything else were v.expensive, first and last time I will stay there, the breakfast was good though!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just to say - I stayed there 9 years ago, so standards may well have slipped since then. It sounds like they have...

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
All of the above. Stayed there for the Rovers game. 5 star location and prices but definitely 3 star fixtures and service. We complained and were told they are renovating soon.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can I just say that the former Assistant Manager at The De Vere Grand (which is what they insist it is called) is now the Catering Manager at Sussex CCC, and has let us use their facilities on October 10 for the REMF Quiz Night for NOWT.

What a nice man.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
thanks for the replies guys, the chap in question stayed their many moons ago as his family were very wealthy. unfortunately, he has fallen on rough times since and now lives in a home with 24 hour care. he's said it would remind him of happier times and it seems he'll like to hang out in the hotel bar and cafe (is that still nicely renovated?) so that will probably be more important to him than the room itself. still can't get my head round how an Afternoon Tea can be worth £22.50 though! (two cups of tea and a bit of cake?)

Great gesture but I fear he will see a massive drop in quality from when he was last there. It is Grand in name only now and even that is preceded by De Vere.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
worked there just after the bombing,new kitchens etc,in the space of a year they had a turnaround of 25 chefs,in other words crap employers etc,the standards wernt that hot!!.We now supply themwith bread etc on a daily basis,si i can vouch for that,tbh i have never recommended it to anyone,and considering they say they are 5* thats not good is it?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
thanks for the replies guys, the chap in question stayed their many moons ago as his family were very wealthy. unfortunately, he has fallen on rough times since and now lives in a home with 24 hour care. he's said it would remind him of happier times and it seems he'll like to hang out in the hotel bar and cafe (is that still nicely renovated?) so that will probably be more important to him than the room itself. still can't get my head round how an Afternoon Tea can be worth £22.50 though! (two cups of tea and a bit of cake?)

Surely then thats the answer, he would like to go there to remind himself of happier times.....I understand the afternoon tea is a lot of tea, oodles of cake and some very nice sarnies.

I took Mrs B there on our wedding night and whilst it is a tad run down now compared to its hey dey, it still has a certain something about it.

go for it and good on you.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Stayed on business, the room was very poor (a cheap one Imagine) but the food and general atmosphere exceptional. A nice treat certainly but not a bargain.... pay for the meal if possible IMHO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here