Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone stayed at The Grand?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
isn't it meant to be 5 star?

looking to book a treat for someone and their carer (two single rooms) and it's "only" £80 per room in september. anyone tasted the high life? place looks ok from the outside but Afternoon Tea at £22.50 each seems a bit steep!

D

Deleted User X18H

Afternoon Tea is superb at The Grand. But as for an overnight stay, The Metropole is better. IMHO

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
2 of us stayed for £79 including breakie in May. It's a bit faded grandour but really lovely. Swimming pool and gym out of action. Beautiful view and bathroom but avoid paying for anything else!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Aren't the cheap rate rooms, small and non-sea facing?

I had my wedding reception at The Grand in that big conservatory room thing on the left hand side as you look at the hotel. Very nice it was too, and we got a big sea facing suite thrown in as part of the package. Again the room was very decent, but wouldn't be the sort of thing you'd get for £80.

That price for tea is about the going rate.

Batti

Jul 19, 2010
Stayed there about a month ago on a similar cheap deal. It's fine for that sort of money but wouldn't want to pay any more. Bozza's room sounds very different to the one I was in. It's pretty tired and definitely in need of a bit of work. As I say, fine for the money but don't expect a 5 star experience

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Stayed there for an overnight B&B. Breakfast was great but room was very average and didn't face the sea. Worth spending a bit more to get the best room available if you are going to do it I would say. Didn't seem to me that they had spent much on refurbishing the rooms in the last ten years, although this was about three years ago.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I've been there for a few presentations and meetings, one of which I'm sure was in the same room as Gus was unveiled as Albion manager.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
thanks for the replies guys, the chap in question stayed their many moons ago as his family were very wealthy. unfortunately, he has fallen on rough times since and now lives in a home with 24 hour care. he's said it would remind him of happier times and it seems he'll like to hang out in the hotel bar and cafe (is that still nicely renovated?) so that will probably be more important to him than the room itself. still can't get my head round how an Afternoon Tea can be worth £22.50 though! (two cups of tea and a bit of cake?)

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I staye din one of the front facing rooms with balcony overlooking the sea, room was massive and very nice and lovely view. I have also stayed in one fo the rooms non sea facing which was small and dark and very un-impressive. Didn't pay for either as they were for work dos though.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hotel du Vin is considerably better in terms of quality and somewhat cheaper, though owned by the same company.

I thought the Grand was only **** these days?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not as good as it used to be, by a long chalk. The hotel elected to drop out of the star rating scheme so it is not starred at all at the moment. They have cut back on staff dramatically, and at the 'high end' the quality and quantity of staff play a huge part. They have also put a halt to a lot of refurbishment programs.

I'd say Hotel Du Vin is a better option these days.

D

Deleted User X18H

¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3630603 said:
I didn't know the Met was punter friendly?

Well you do now. Better start saving up. Or get the old lady to put her hand through the gap in the curtains again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here