Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone see naylor having a sideways swipe at Wilkins

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting article in teh Argus. naylor basically said that he couldn't understand why Wilkins only referred to Whings fantastic goal line clearance as "run of the mill" and "what he is there for". Technically speaking he is right, but I find this refusal to admit that some players had blinders ( Kuips at Forest and Leeds) and Racon at Leeds to be very strange.

Odd management skills

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He does seem to reserve special praise for the team as a whole rather than singling people out. I think that seems sensible enough, but I do think there are occassions when I would be tempted to say "He was the best player on the field"

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think Dean is trying to set high standards - standards he possibly feels some players haven't met yet. Dunno. :shrug:

I also think he just wants everybody's feet on the ground, as it were. Except for when the jumping for a long-ball of course.

I was disappointed at DW's comments about Kuipers during his interview with Andrew Hawes after the game. "That's what he's there for". Oh really? So does that apply to you too Mr Wilkins? Team nears a playoff place but that's what you're there for, to get us promoted.

As DTG says-odd management skills.

Whoops, I forgot to add... I would imagine (hope) that he reserves special praise privately or within the changing room? Perhaps 'Race' can give us a hint...!

Why reserve praise for the changing room? Bollockings I can understand staying private but if one of the players is responsible for winning a game or keeping us in another one then it wouldn't hurt to say so.

Stumpy Tim

I was disappointed at DW's comments about Kuipers during his interview with Andrew Hawes after the game. "That's what he's there for". Oh really? So does that apply to you too Mr Wilkins? Team nears a playoff place but that's what you're there for, to get us promoted.

As DTG says-odd management skills.

I don't see Dean bigging himself up either to be fair. Maybe he does give praise behind closed doors... who knows. He sets standards high & that's a good thing in my opinion

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree. I can't understand Wilkins' reluctance to praise his players in public for a fantastic display. It really is very odd.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I think Dean handles the press very well and is absolutely right not to hype individual players. To steal a phrase from reservoir dogs, "let's not start sucking eachothers dicks quite yet"

I think Dean handles the press very well and is absolutely right not to hype individual players. To steal a phrase from reservoir dogs, "let's not start sucking eachothers dicks quite yet"

Then maybe it would be better to say nothing about any individual player rather than a derisory "That's what he's there for" when one player has stood out from the rest in a game? Never hurts to praise now and again-as Fergie does and as much as I hate the Mancs, he is the benchmark for football management...

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I think Wilkins has a reluctance to praise individual players publicly. But perhaps it's just SOME individual players who receive this treatment? Or perhaps it's just their turn to get the underwhelmed review.

Also good coach as he is, I often get the impression that he's read one or two more "motivational" management books than is necessarily healthy....

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Andy Naylor should f*** off and write for The Motherwell Examiner or something.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
But you cant argue that TECHNICALLY Dean is right. That IS what they (Whing, Kuipers) are paid to do - EVERY game as well!

But I do see what your mean!

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Wilkins has singled players out before for decent performances, so I dont know whats changed.

Whings goal line clearance was incredible and credit to a player who will put anything on the line for the cause...yes thats his job but........considering its not as black and white as that is a shame he didnt get a special mention.

Also if you cant give special praise to Kuipers for his performance, who can you. He kept us in it a couple of times with quality saves.....Ive alsways got the impression Wilkins isnt to keen on Kuipers and never has been.

It was a fine TEAM performance...but whats wrong with giving a special mention for going above and beyond the cause.

Lucky Wilkins isnt dishing out medals of bravery in iraq and afganistan...cos the lad who dived on the grenade.....was only doing his job!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

*pedant alert* - Mr Wolf in Pulp Fiction.

But yep. I'd agree with you. He handles it very well.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Naylor has stopped his dropping McGhees name into a articles game

Disappointing, as the tenuous links are always great

Normally like, The prolific Beckford faied to score against the Albion in the stalemate. There was a great challenge by Thomson on Beckford, Thomson played in the SPL 3 months ago against McGhees Motherwell

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here