Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone overslept on the last train and missed their stop?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There used to be a service from Brighton to Cardiff, via Shoreham. A guy at my school got drunk, missed the stop at Shoreham and ended up in Wales. His housemaster was not best pleased!

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I think Bakesy Needs to answer this one:whistle::whistle:

Guilty, Your Honour, on both counts!!!
1st time was on a sunday night back in the 80's, a few of us went from Seaford to the Brighton Centre to see UB40, the ticket office was shut so the guard wrote us out a ticket for the return journey.
Being ever so slightly pissed i managed to fall asleep on the way home and at Seaford my mates decided to nick my money, my fags and get off the train, leaving me to head back towards Brighton.
I was woken by a guard at Brighton Station who informed me i had to get off the train and there wouldn't be another train till the mail train about half 4 in the morning...i got on this one and got back to Seaford about 5ish, walked home and got to bed for about 90 mins before getting up for work...back in Brighton.

2nd time was after a game about 4 years ago, got plastered in the Tap and missed my train from London Road, so had to wait half an hour for the next one.......got on and must've dozed off.....woke up to hear the automated voice saying the next station was Falmer......thought nothing of it until the next station when it said the next station was Moulsecoomb......PANIC suddenly set in...this train's going the wrong way....turns out i'd had about 45 mins kip and was now on the last train back to Brighton...Luckily i still had £30 on me so got a cab home.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
When I first started working in London, ended up in Mordon a couple of times - but Sutton was probably the worst on a night bus.

Did work with a bloke who ended up in Peterborough after trying to get to North London.

My brother ended up in Hastings (meaning to get off in Etchingham) after a night on the piss with me in London. Anyone who knows the area will appreciate that's quite an over shot.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Went on a Beano one Friday with some mates from Horley to Brighton and promised my girl friend at the time that I'd be back sober(ish) for some work freinds of hers who where coming for dinner.

Of course I got totally shit faced but I did manage to get a train from Brighton about 6.30, bought a bag of chaps thinking food would sober me up. Woke up at Victoria with a bag of chips on my lap, the fat had soaked through the paper bag and chip fat all over my trousers. The guard came along and laughed at me "Glad ou woke up". I replied "I was meant to get off at Redhill". The gaurd replied "this is the second time you have been to Victoria tonight". Yep, Brighton to Victoria, Victoria to Brighton and then Brighton to Victoria.

Finally got back to Redhill as a different guard was instructed to wake me up. Late for dinner, not looked my best with fat stains all down my crouch, was in the dog house all weekend. Suprisingly we didn't go out much longer after that; just can't understand some women.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Used to work in croydon and regularly used to fall asleep after darts matches
Have done Brighton a fair few times and its not the best of places at 1am when you\'re not supposed to be there and you're still pissed.
My worst was when, after a darts match, I wandered to East Croydon station and instead of waiting 15 minutes for a Redhill train decided to get the Portsmouth train and get a cab back from Gatwick as it would be about the same price as getting a cab back from Redhill home. Fell asleep and woke up at Lancing. Luckily there was a cab there but he already had a fare who kindly sgreed to let me share his cab back to Brighton.Got back to Brighton where I had to wait until God knows what time in the morning for a train home ! All part of life's rich tapestry
Too much :drink::drink: makes you miss your stop

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
Slept on the last train from angmering to brighton ended up in brighton when i wanted to be in worthing. As luck would have it my great uncle works at brighton station and was there at this time. Fell asleep whilst getting a lift home

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Got on the tube at tooting broadway attempting to make the quick journey back to Balham, but being shitfaced got on the southbound train instead of north. Was the last tube of the night so was woken up in mordon by the guy cleaning the tube. I'd just been sitting there at the back of the tube asleep for 45 mins. Could have been alot worse though, could have been in barnet if I'd got the correct train. Had to bus it back with some right characters on the bus, Scary and not nice.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
yep. a bleary eyed 'shit the stations are getting closer to London' when i should have got off at Brighton. No extra cost but I did ping pong between Brighton and East Croydon.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
When I used to live in London I did it all the time on the tube, lived at Swiss Cottage and regularly ended up in Wembley or similar

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I missed a connection train to Brighton and had to spend the night in Travelodge in Tonbridge.
Also slept through a London to Brighton train, then becoming a Worthing train and got off at Worthing thinking it was Brighton

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I did fall asleep at Girona airport after the flight home was delayed. All the duty-free was consumed and my mates couldn't wake me so left me there. I spent an extra week in the hotel in Lloret de Mar at no cost, the local bar owner who we treated well returned the compliment with free food and booze, and some of the people I'd met also looked after me as I'd spent all the local money before leaving for the airport etc and had no other British money. Eventually borrowed some from another holidaymaker and caught a coach back through France and catching the hovercraft to Ramsgate. Eventually got back to Brighton on the day of a night game in August 1977 when I saw my 'fellow holiday makers'.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Many years ago in my youth, after drinking Watneys Red (which gives a bit of a clue) I feel asleep locked in the toilet on the Brighton train north. I missed the stop at Wivelsfield and in the early hours found myself in Victoria Station. There was a train strike that Sunday and I hitched a lift back to Mid Sussex. Well in truth it was about 6 lifts and I ended up walking the 3 miles back to Burgess Hill from Hickstead.

It was all a bit of experience, and whilst I have missed the station stop from time to time and ended up in Lancing or Worthing. I have never actually done quite that. The most recent experience though was arrival at Lancing at 1 pm. I walked towards the seafront and found a main road. A kind guy stopped and took me to an Indian restaurant where local businessmen were meeting to discuss financials etc. They got me a cup of coffee and called a taxi which got me home safely at 2 pm. I got a few hours sleep before the train at 7:30 to get me into the office in Croydon for 8:30.

These days I am counting my alcohol units with a bit more dedication !!!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
The most recent experience though was arrival at Lancing at 1 pm. I walked towards the seafront and found a main road. A kind guy stopped and took me to an Indian restaurant where local businessmen were meeting to discuss financials etc. They got me a cup of coffee and called a taxi which got me home safely at 2 pm. I got a few hours sleep before the train at 7:30 to get me into the office in Croydon for 8:30.

These days I am counting my alcohol units with a bit more dedication !!!

Do you mean 1am and 2am?

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
Have never over slept but i was so pissed i got the last train from victoria to Brighton, i got off at 3 bridges thinking it was Brighton, i then had to wait 2 hours for the next one. its a very lonely / cold place at 2 in the morning in December. Why i even thought it was Brighton i dont know

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Some years ago, after a tired and emotional night out in Barnsley, my journey back to Manchester Piccadilly came to an end when I woke up in the middle of the night, parked up in the railway sidings some way south of my intended destination.

They obviously don't check the trains before putting them to bed.

I did hear of a case on Brighton Corporation Buses a few years ago, when the passenger who was presumably thought to have fallen asleep on the top deck was only discovered to be a dead body when a new driver was preparing the bus for its first trip the following morning.

My dad use to regularly drive the last train from Victoria to Ore and before he took it to the sidings at St Leonards he walked through the train and quite often had to make people up and kick them out.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
This happened to a friend of mine. He used to be in a band, and they'd been touring in the UK for a few weeks. They played the last gig in London and he managed to catch the last train home to Brighton. Exhausted, he fell fast asleep and woke up to see the train slowly starting to pull out of Brighton station. Fortunately, this was still in the days of the slam-door trains so, determined not to end up in the Littlehampton sidings (again - he was familiar with them), he threw open the door and started hurling out his belongings. The last thing he lobbed onto the platform was himself.

He lay there for a moment, then slowly raised his head. In front of him, scattered the entire length of the platform, were his belongings. Behind him was the remaining three feet of platform.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
After a debauchous stag do in Central London, I had to make my way back to Brighton on the last train. The only time I wasn't asleep on the journey was to heave up.

This had the advantage of clearing my compartment of other passengers to spare my humiliation any further. Unfortunately, I was so comatose I failed to notice the train being divided at Haywards Heath and ended up being helped off the train in Eastbourne.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here