Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone know the Palace score???

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
The League Cup suffers because of the attitude of the billy big-bollocks clubs right at the top of the league, but for everybody else in the Prem, and a few in the Championship, it represents a chance of a trip to Cardiff/Wembley and a shot at a trophy.

For the teams lower down, it's a chance to meet one of the big boys. Spurs/Arsenal for example may well not sell out a home game featuring a bunch of their kids, but I suspect we would sell out a home game against one these teams in, say the third round, and it could also attract highlights coverage on the telly. So it's worth taking seriously for potential revenue.

There's also the fact that it's a fully competitive game, being played by professionals. They should want to win every game, both as a matter of professional pride and for the winning habit it forms. I'll be there tonight, and was laughing at the Palace score, regardless of how much they try to dismiss it. Congratulations County - I hope we don't suffer the same bloody fate this evening.

(If we do, I'll of course be on decrying the competition as a meaningless distraction...) :)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
SJ's Love Monkey said:
Doesn't matter what you valued him at does it the facts are we got £8.6m for him

Did I say what I thought you should have got for him did matter?

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
5 past Kuipers said:
In a market where McSheffrey costs £4mil I make it 2.6 million too many. But, either way.... :clap: :clap:

Good deal for you guys I must admit. How did McSheffrey cost that much money? The market at the moment is just plain weird.

5 past Kuipers

Is that the time?
Feb 22, 2006
Tunbridge Wells
Herne Hill Seagull said:
and was laughing at the Palace score

It is fun when that happens. My biggest cup laugh at your expense was probably AFC Sudbury. Or perhaps Kingstonian? Or maybe Lincoln?

We've all been through it but it feels worse in the FA Cup. Our worst one was Hartlepool in the early nineties.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
League Cup Winners:

2006 = Manchester United
2005 = Chelsea
2004 = Middlesbrough
2003 = Liverpool
2002 = Blackburn Rovers
2001 = Liverpool

Yep looks like the big teams don't care about the competition one iota.
:shootself

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
5 past Kuipers said:
It is fun when that happens. My biggest cup laugh at your expense was probably AFC Sudbury. Or perhaps Kingstonian? Or maybe Lincoln?

We've all been through it but it feels worse in the FA Cup. Our worst one was Hartlepool in the early nineties.
I recall quite a few Cup upsets in the late 70`s and early eighties for us as well. Did we not lose to Hartlepool back in 78/79?

English FA Cup Hartlepool United 2-1 Crystal Palace -- It was 77/78 in fact

Last edited:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
5 past Kuipers said:
We've all been through it but it feels worse in the FA Cup.

You're not wrong. The League Cup exits in our case are softened in their impact by their utter inevitability. We're always shit in this competition.

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
SJ's Love Monkey said:
It was a good deal but compare Johnson's scoring record to McSheffrey's and maybe £8.6m isn't so great?

I think we all know that McSheffery is worth nowhere near that amount of money.

On a different player how much did Ashton go for? I remember he went to Norwich for 3 mil but what did he go to WH for?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
SJ's Love Monkey said:
5 of that side haven't played 1st team football this season, and judging by last night's performance they wont be again for a while!

:D

Oi, it's bad enough you having a palace shirt in your avatar but does it really need to be on turd ... this is a family show after all.:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here