Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone here work in planning? How come Ms Lucas has been able to install solar panels

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not really OT as it concerns Lucas. Some things are just not right!

Here is the information about The Happy Valley protest in Brighton.

After a public meeting on the 16th of September held in Woodingdean near Brighton, Sussex to discuss the possibility of a future permanent travellers’ site in Happy Valley on the outskirts of Brighton, the residents of Woodingdean have organised a peaceful demonstration to be held at the site on Sunday 9th October at 2pm.

The residents and concerned individuals want to show Brighton & Hove council their view that they need to rule out Happy Valley from it's considerations for the planned consultation about a permanent or tolerated site for travellers. The residents feel that Happy Valley is not a suitable candidate for a site and are meeting there to show their unity against such plans.

It is reported that over 1,000 people attended the meeting on the 16th that was held by Simon Kirby, Conservative MP. Mr Kirby will be in attendance at the demonstration and they hope to have similar numbers attend.

How does that concern 'Lucas'?

It's not her constituency. She's not a Brighton & Hove City Councillor.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

You don't take too much notice of local politics then?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

A tenuous link with the Greens ? No need to campaign against a travellers site in Happy Valley if B&HCC go ahead with plans to build 11,000 new homes within the city boundaries because the pikeys wont have anywhere to park their caravans.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The law was changed a while back to extend the range of situations in which householders could make adjustments to their house without needing to seek planning permission. I suspect this is one of them. As deletebeepbeep says its mostly to do with visibility.

I remember putting in an objection when a certain LDC councillor had to apply for planning permission before the law was changed :wink:

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
I note her next project is underway at the same dwelling!!!!

Wind.jpeg

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Yes I did read the article. However when I looked into installing solar panels a while ago I was informed I would require planning permission (as was a neighbour) as we live in a conservation area!

But perhaps the new law Kumquat points out will allow me to look into this again. I am sure the council quoted something called Article 4. When asked someone in the planning dept earlier they wern't to sure!

Some conservation areas are subject as to what is know as Article 4's where the Council are particularly concerned about the character of an area. They effectively remove all permitted development rights.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Yes, a reasonable amount.

Why would 'Lucas' get involved in a council matter regarding the concerns of Woodingdean residents? As it points out, the local MP is already involved.

As I understand it, the original idea for find more bases in the City for these poor people, came from her direction.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I now have Solar Panel adverts at the top of the page. :yawn:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As I understand it, the original idea for find more bases in the City for these poor people, came from her direction.

It probably came as a result of Green Party policy - of which she is of course the leader - which the current Council administration is endeavouring (almost certainly with a lot of difficulty) to resolve.

I'd prefer the resolution route - sadly, they're not going to go away - rather than one particular Tory Councillor who distributed leaflets actively encouraging the travellers to set up in Preston Park, Queens Park and The Level.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
If I remember part 40 Permitted Development rights were introduced in 2008 to remove the need to apply for planning permission for some microgeneration....
wait....
Just looked, it says this

INSTALLATION OF DOMESTIC MICROGENERATION EQUIPMENT
Class A
Permitted development
A. The installation, alteration or replacement of solar PV or solar thermal equipment on—

(a)a dwellinghouse; or
(b)a building situated within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse.
Development not permitted
A.1. Development is not permitted by Class A, in the case of solar PV or solar thermal equipment installed on an existing wall or roof of a dwellinghouse or a building within its curtilage if—

(a)the solar PV or solar thermal equipment would protrude more than 200 millimetres beyond the plane of the wall or the roof slope when measured from the perpendicular with the external surface of the wall or roof slope;
(b)it would result in the highest part of the solar PV or solar thermal equipment being higher than the highest part of the roof (excluding any chimney);
(c)in the case of land within a conservation area or which is a World Heritage Site, the solar PV or solar thermal equipment would be installed—
(i)on a wall or roof slope forming the principal or side elevation of the dwellinghouse and would be visible from a highway; or
(ii)on a wall or roof slope of a building within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse and would be visible from a highway; or
(d)the solar PV or solar thermal equipment would be installed on a building within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse if the dwellinghouse is a listed building.

I imagine when you looked into gettign PV it was either before the 2008 amendment, did not meet with the caveats set out in (c) or there is an article 4 direction on your property/area removing these permitted development rights (unlikely).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Are you John Catt in disguise?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

No. It was from the last Labour government

"The Housing Act (2004), in conjunction with Circular ODPM 1/06, requires councils to assess the needs of Gypsies and Travellers and, via the Regional Planning Body, to include how this need will be met in local development plans."

I do.

Has she got planning permission? Are they visible from publicly accessible areas?

I'm not that au fait with householder stuff but I think planning permission is only required when panels are fitted on the principal or side elevation walls and they are visible from the highway. Probably get away with it on the rear elevation, unless that is also visible from a pubilc highway.

Have you not got something better to do with your time? You must be a nightmare neighbour.

We're doing the same as CL in a few weeks and also live in a Conservation Area.

You're more or less correct here; there's some general requirements about panels being sited so as to minimise impact on appearance of the building and amenity of the area (yawn!) but planning permission is not required in a CA unless the panels are being mounted on a side elevation/wall and visible from the highway. Some minor technical points about fitting - ie no protrusion above the roof ridge line and a max of 20cm elsewhere - but there are no planning restrictions about visibility from the highway in a CA, unless they're wall mounted as above or stand alone systems (where there are also some other conditions).
Bring on the 46.3p/kwh I say.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I'd have thought tories would be applauding this even if it wasn't all fine, with their party intending to scrap planning regulations?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here