Good graphics, though.

Yeah, for 1989.

RM01269_1_lq.jpg

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Safeway said:
Wozza, are there any other such games where you can like drive all over the country?

I think you can with MS Train Simulator - the add-on is just a graphics pack, I believe, although I could be wrong. (I'm sure there are reviews online).

Train sims are very popular in Japan, even for consoles. You can buy a PlayStation train controller which is literally just a stop/start lever.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Fast sounding like a Train Simulator expert. The original game comes with a small number of lines from various countries - UK, Japan, USA so you can get used to the different signalling systems and train controls.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
m20gull said:
Fast sounding like a Train Simulator expert. The original game comes with a small number of lines from various countries - UK, Japan, USA so you can get used to the different signalling systems and train controls.

Do you collect train numbers????

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Seagulls over Lewes said:
There's no driver in the train on the right are they on strike again.

Nah, he's just going the wrong way, heading for Brighton station.

By the way, be careful if you bash this 'game'. Here's a news story written by an ex-colleague... and a news story about the backlash. :)

MICROSOFT TRAIN SIMULATOR: WHY DID THIS TRAGEDY HAPPEN?

Hot on the heels of its Flight Simulator, Microsoft has plumped for an logic-defying follow up: Microsoft Train Simulator. Why is this happening?

Trains. As far as we can work out, they go backwards and forwards along a track. Sometimes they're early, sometimes they're late. Sometimes they fall over and people get hurt. You don't steer them as such, you just make them "go". Already you're seeing that this isn't the most obvious transport experience to build a game around.

Microsoft is though, and you can check out the shots right here. It looks pretty lovely, with England's green hills rolling seductively into the distance. But let's not get sidetracked: this is a pointless "game".

People like cars. People like planes. People hate trains. Trains are a pain in the arse. Not only do they cost a mint, but if they stop working you're screwed. You're left stranded miles from home, with a station officer braying insincerely over the tannoy. Because the train company is so sorry that you're not going anywhere.

The few people that do like trains spend their days watching out for them and writing down their numbers just to make sure they do exist. Well done. You're not wasting your life.

Pretty soon, you'll be able to drive bullet trains across the States, or cut a swathe through English countryside in the Flying Scotsman. The screens show plenty of dials and meters, but surely driving a train isn't anything like as hard as a plane is to fly. If we climbed into the cockpit of a plane, we wouldn't expect to get it moving. But how hard can driving a train be? More to the point, how interesting can it be? There's no traffic on the rails to dodge, just miles of clear track. Fantastico.

It doesn't matter that the "distinctive hissing" of the flying Scotsman has been accurately replicated. It doesn't matter that you can hear the "throaty rumble" of a Dash 9 diesel. We've never heard anything as ridiculous as this in all our days.

Better still, you can be a passenger on any of the game's journey. That is, just watching the monitor like you're looking out of a train window. Presumably for hours. No, no, no, no, NO! That's all wrong. It's like Microsoft sat down and thought, "How can we make this game even more dull?"

Come on Microsoft, prove us wrong. Train Simulator is slated for a release in spring.

MICROSOFT TRAIN SIM FANS IN WILD BACKLASH RIOT

Trains are boring. Fact. There are some very, very mad people in the World. Fact. You wonit believe this...

When we first got our hands on Microsoft Train Simulator, we were perplexed. The notion that anyone would want to spend their time driving a train on a PC seemed utterly farcical to us. We felt the need to ridicule the UK-developed game in public. We were so wrong.

Dean Scott, former CVG Online writer since moved to take up honours as reviews editor on Dennis UK's PlayStation mag, The Player, penned a news piece titled, "Microsoft Train Simulator: why did this tragedy happen?" on March 9. Since then, we have been battered by Microsoft, developer Kuju, and now the general public.Dean today received a barrage of mail from enraged train enthusiasts regarding the story. "Someone got hold of it and posted it on a message board or something," an embattled Scott told us. "It's like the train fans of the world have united and all six of them mailed me this morning. The kids love me, man."

Look. Dean now loves trains. CVG loves trains. We can't wait to get our hands on Microsoft Train Simulator. Choo choo. Ivor the Engine, and all that. We've even posted some new shots for you right here. Happy now? Good. Then you'll stop sending us the utterly brilliant complaints you'll find below. All have been posted in original form.

Author: Unknown
Congragulations, you just made my idiot list. You have no idea what you are talking about with the train simulator! If your going to do a review do it right! Don't talk out of your ass! Just for your info, there are millions of train lovers (and now Dean Scott haters!) out there! Microsoft deserves credit for this, they spent 3 years working hard on it, do NOT trash thier work when you have no idea what the game is acually like! You'll be eating your words when you find out just how exillarating it is to drive a train. And about how it can't be hard to get a train moving, you couldn't get a real train moving if your life depended on it! Opinion: People hate trains.Fact: I hate you

Author: Bruce Kennewell, Australia
Dean, you really don't have a clue, do you? Let me fill you in on something; next to philately (that's 'stamp collecting,' Dean), model trains comprise the world's most popular hobby. That's quite a big potential customer base, Dean.You think MS are doing this for the fun of it?Stick to "reviewing" stuff that you are familiar with (most likely FPS's) and study hard at school.

Author: cdcruz
you are a real wanker about your review on train sim, just wait for the sales figures to prove you wrong

Author: C85airman
Your a real ass

Author: Nd4more_spd
You Asshole are so wrong about Train Simulator , most
of what you wrote is just a lie , first of all there
is a traffic in MSTS and second of all , try to move
one of the Steam Locos .., Yes , some peopl like to
whatch trains but so do people like to whatch trains ,
and the only one who is wasting your time is you
because you wrote a big review that talks shit
about MSTS ..,
Sorry but you way wrong ...

Author: ngortva
I just read a review that you wrote on Microsoft's Train simulator. You obviously have no clue what you are writing about. I am sure you did not have a beta version of the game. I can see this fom the fact that you put the logo of your stupid site on screenshots that other people made. I hope no one paid you for writing this review. Don't write about stuff you have no clue about!

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
Most Microsoft sim games are a rip-off. £50 to drive a unrealistic train and the same price to pretend to fly a plane. Rather send that money on a good night out tbh

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I wonder if the train gets attacked by a gang of pre-pubescent wannabes while passing trhough Fishersgate ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here