Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone heard of a band called The Wedding Present?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
'George Best' was one of the two truly great British Indie guitar records of the late 80s - the other one being the first House of Love album (the Stone Roses' debut might have qualified as a third if they weren't such a bunch of pompous arrogant twats).

Brassneck is a good song, but practically anything of this album is better - Everyone Thinks He Looks Daft is one of the best opening tracks of all time... Right from the sharp intake of breath at the start you just know it's going to be something special. You really need to listen to the whole original album (tracks 1-13 on the CD) in one go (a bit difficult for today's kids with their attention deficit problems, I know) to appreciate it's true brilliance: a 45 minute unrelenting adrenaline rush from beginning to end.

But you should know all this already Richie - I thought you were supposed to be a music journo?

Last edited:

Trufflehound said:
'George Best' was one of the two truly great British Indie guitar records of the late 80s ... Everyone Thinks He Looks Daft is one of the best opening tracks of all time... Right from the sharp intake of breath at the start you just know it's going to be something special.

The greatest opening to any album, ever. But it only works if you turn it up very, very loud. Breathe in ... and ... GO!

Whilst living in Wakefield thay were the Band. I saw yhem maNY A TIMES PLAYING IN PUBS, 2,000 venues and a few local mates bands would support them.

Fast, furious with that classic Yorkshire attitude.

:ohmy:

LC

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Indeed I do Richie, actually quite well !!

The original drummer, runs the tea trolley at amex house or is that llyods tsb I can't remember now, bless him !!

Seagull Stew

On this subject, has any Weddo's fan got the album they made as "The Ukranians"?

The kind of sound to make you want to wear a silly hat, grow a moustache and dance with your arms crossed, kness bent to almost a squat and kicking your feet out in front of you.

Top Stuff :thumbsup:

Jul 20, 2003
They're playing at the Concorde in Feb

One of the greatest bands of all time

all of their albums are essential

In the early days of Nirvana Kurt Cobain was often seen in a Wedding Present T-Shirt

"Seamonsters" is one of my favourite British albums ever, more importantly Steve Albini has often commented that he considers it the best record he ever produced and the 'too much apple pie' song is Kennedy from the Bizarro album.

How the f*** anyone thinks they are qualified to write about guitar bands without having a thorough knowledge of the Wedding Present amazes me

just waiting for questions about has anyone ever heard of:

The Velvet Underground, Led Zepplin, Galaxie 500, The Who, Television etc. etc etc.

the ignorance of the Weddos oevre demonstrated in this thread appauls me - now go and listen to your Keane albums

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Trufflehound said:
'George Best' was one of the two truly great British Indie guitar records of the late 80s - the other one being the first House of Love album (the Stone Roses' debut might have qualified as a third if they weren't such a bunch of pompous arrogant twats).

Good calls. Notable that both George Best and HoL have cracking opening tracks – I can instantly hear the riff to Christine in my mind, even though I haven't played it for years.

I'd add Isn't Anything by My Bloody Valentine and Swagger by The Blue Aeroplanes into a Top Five Guitar Albums of that era.

Last edited:

Jul 20, 2003
bhafc99 said:
............... and Swagger by The Blue Aeroplanes ......

"pick a card, any card ......*DRUMS*.......... WRONG......*THAT riff*"

classic

Seagull Stew

attila said:
I've got 'George Best'..pretty good.
Len Liggins from WP has a sideline band called The Ukrainians who play..Ukranian music.
A mate of mine really liked the Wedding Present so when he got married
I gave him a Wedding Present album as a wedding present.
But he'd already got it.

Any chance of playing "Those were the days" by The Ukranians on Friday night?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
attila said:
Len Liggins from WP has a sideline band called The Ukrainians who play..Ukranian music.

(Edited because I can't spell Ukrainian)

I think you mean Peter Solowka, the second guitarist from WP. His dad was Ukrainian.

Len Liggins was (still is as far as I know) a mate of Pete's and they formed the Ukrainians together, but I don't think he was ever in WP.

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
pevenseagull said:
They're playing at the Concorde in Feb

One of the greatest bands of all time

all of their albums are essential

In the early days of Nirvana Kurt Cobain was often seen in a Wedding Present T-Shirt

"Seamonsters" is one of my favourite British albums ever, more importantly Steve Albini has often commented that he considers it the best record he ever produced and the 'too much apple pie' song is Kennedy from the Bizarro album.

How the f*** anyone thinks they are qualified to write about guitar bands without having a thorough knowledge of the Wedding Present amazes me

just waiting for questions about has anyone ever heard of:

The Velvet Underground, Led Zepplin, Galaxie 500, The Who, Television etc. etc etc.

the ignorance of the Weddos oevre demonstrated in this thread appauls me - now go and listen to your Keane albums

:lolol: and very true.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
AIT76 said:
Gedge has reformed The Wedding Present. They have a single "Interstate 5" out now, and an album and tour in the new year.

The original drummer is a guy called Shaun Charman from Hassocks who left to join The Popguns AND IS AN ALBION SEASON TICKET HOLDER.

http://www.westnet.com/weddoes/

Shaun used to work where I did a few years ago in Worthing. It was a little shock when he told me of his Wedding Present days as although I have not really heard much of their stuff had heard of the band.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
pevenseagull said:
"pick a card, any card ......*DRUMS*.......... WRONG......*THAT riff*"

classic

My favourite opening line. Saw the Blue Aeroplanes at The Zap on the Swagger tour and the dancer leapt and whacked the stage as he landed on his hands when they opened with that. You could hear the thud above all the amplification, nutter. How they managed to get all those guitarists on the Zap stage is a miracle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here