Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone had General Anaesthetic here beofre?

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I had a hip resurfacing op 3 years ago. The doctor did worry me a bit as she said they would use an epidural but, after I blanched a bit, she said "Oh no we'll knock you out too as there's a certain amount of "carpentry"". Well they knocked me out which was fine but broke three needles on my back trying to get the epidural in so I just had the general. Woke up VERY woozy and kept drifting off. Was as right as rain after the night although I didn't sleep much as I had slept earlier.
Do all the exercises the physio gives you - they may seem daft but it helps recovery no end
Good luck

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
I had it a few years ago for my teeth (I don't like injections, and didn't want an injection in my gum.) It's really strange afterwards, I didn't know anything or even who I was, really weird. I've since had an injection and it wasn't too bad, but that's another story...

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
ive had it twice once b4

first time for my teeth i felt really ill after and didnt want any food

second time was for my teeth as well that felt better

i actually liked having anesthectic

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I've had a GA a few times now, it's fine except I'm usually very sick afterwards. Last time, the anaesthetist told me that if you suffer from travel/motion sickness then you are much more likely to feel/be sick after a GA. He told me the best way to avoid it was to try and not move your head at all when you come round. Of course, I didn't heed his advice, as I was too interested in what was going on around me, and was sick again but maybe it will work for someone.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I've had one. I remember the injection going into a vein on the back of my hand after which I could weirdly (but nicely) feel the sense of relaxation travelling up my arm. It took about 5-6 seconds to reach my neck, after which I was out!

DC Rules

Could It Be Forever?
Sep 19, 2006
I had a GA in April for spinal surgery, that went ok but they nicked the dural sac of fluid round the spinal cord so I had to lie flat for 2 days to let it heal. A week later I suffered a Pulmonary embolism, where a blood clot went to my lungs and also forced its way through my heart, so I suffered a stroke too. I spent 24 hours in ITU, touch and go if I would pull through...but obviously I did.
I hope your op has gone ok.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
i had one a few years back when they whipped my appendix out. i didn't even start counting. i just remember turning to my girlfriend and saying 'i think i'm going to throw up.' next thing i knew i was in the recovery room with a nurse holding a bowl in front of me that i was puking into. then, apparently, i passed out again. the first thing i really, clearly remember is waking up a second time and endearing myself to the recovery room nurses by slurring very loudly 'what the f*** is going on!?'

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Surprised no one's gone for the "prick up the arse" gag yet when referring to the pre-med! Or don't they do that anymore?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here