Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone had General Anaesthetic here beofre?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just think of it as like having a dose of Rohypnol, but without the feeling of guilt, disgust, bitterness and overriding desire for bloody vengeance afterwards.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I guess it's very similar to the first stages of being executed by lethal injection. :p

:lolol:

I bet you've really cheered Mr. Trousers up there, and have assuaged all of his fears about what's to come.

The patient has the easiest part of the operation.

I recall my tongue started to feel kinda chewy, a bit numb....then I was out by about "4". Next thing I knew about anything, I was waking up on a gurney (back part raised) and looking at my pal who'd volunteered to drive me to the hospital.

Recovery is the tough part, but then it won't be a problem if you follow all instructions and take care not to damage anything that's just been done. Soon enough, it'll be a vague memory.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Going for my 11th in a couple of weeks, and yes, i do want a medal!

The injection will take about 4 seconds to work, the next thing you know you'll be waking up all woozy with a nice nurse shouting at you to wake up! You may be really sick (I normally am) but they can fix that really quickly.

Please PLEASE adhere to the nil by mouth rules else you will die - no two ways about it.

Yep, agree with the nausea but if you tell them they'll give you something straight away. It's not an unpleasant experience and 99.99999% safe.

D

Deleted member 2719

Blimey - I had visions of sitting in the pre-op ward waiting for it to take effect - it really is that quick?

Just a little nervous of anything that I dont understand or had before - that involves something like this.

Having hte Meniscus fused together, the anterior cruciate 'dealt with' - appraently if they find it is in a real mess then I will be back in again shortly.

My real concern is that I have not played any cricket this season and a knee injury at my age could be the death knell on any competitive sport - I'm nearly 37 before you ask

Snapped my anterior cruciate nearly 10 years ago at football i was 35 - i decided not to have the initial reconstruction as i was threatened that i had had too much time off work because of the initial injury.
I do get pain from it now at times so you are probably doing the best thing while your young but i am afraid the physio will probably tell you to quit the cricket.

Best of luck with it.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
When I had my general anaesthetic they tried to find a vein in my arm but after 20 (yes twenty) failed "pokes" they came to the conclusion that they couldnt't find one, so just gassed me instead. Very weird feeling, told me to count to 10, reached about 6 before I was completely out. A split second later I was coming round. Very odd experience, didn't feel a thing during my operation. I was sick afterwards but only briefly and it could be because I hadn't eaten anything in forever.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My 75yo mum had knee surg. last wednesday and was given a GA, the op was at 10am and i picked her up at 2pm, she was a bit groggy but up and fine by the next day.:)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I had an arthroscopy about 3 weeks ago now. Expected to be a torn cartilage, but found to be a damaged kneecap. I have a lovely picture of my anterior cruciate ligament and all the bones and cartilage around my knee. The surgeon said it was all in perfect order apart from the knee cap, which looked like the roof of a cave!

The general anaesthetic was swift. I don't recall counting at all, as I was pretty relaxed going in. I've had a general a few times before, and have never got beyond 5, even when counting fast!

Coming round whilst being wheeled along corridors is a bit disorientating, but at least when I woke up this time I still had a gown on. I was really concerned when I had some metalwork removed from my arm and woke up in a mixed ward totally naked under a thin sheet! That was the last operation I'm planning to have at the Royal Sussex!!

I don't know what the stats are on nausea afterwards, but I've always felt fine and tucked into food pretty swiftly.

As for your recovery, just don't overdo things and hopefully you'll be as good as new in a couple of months. My recovery is going well, but the biggest leap forwards was when the stitches were removed and I found that I could bend my leg fully. It had been the stitches that were making it painful up to then!

Just relax and take it as it comes, Mr Trousers, and it'll be a doddle. Hope it goes well. :thumbsup:

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Not sure driving will be on your agenda anyway what with it being the knee that's under the knife but be aware you can't drive for 24 hours following a GA so make sure you've got a lift sorted:)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not sure driving will be on your agenda anyway what with it being the knee that's under the knife but be aware you can't drive for 24 hours following a GA so make sure you've got a lift sorted:)

I found it difficult driving 4 days after the operation. I really wouldn't recommend it until your stitches are out, as if you had to brake hard, you probably couldn't.

I can remember the anaesthetist and the doc having a chat about what to do.
I knew a guy who went on one of those "Climb to near the top of Mount Everest" holidays. Way up as far as the trip went, he fell ill. The lack of oxygen meant that he kept drifting into unconsciousness as he lay in his tent.

He overheard a conversation outside between the tour leader and a doctor about where the best place could be found to bury the body.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
The reason you will DIE if you eat is all to do with the muscle relaxant part of the operation which makes choking all the more likely.

As for general anaethetics, I can't beat BAG but I have had FIVE of them in less than 12 months. On four of these occasions I've drifted peacefully off while muttering something pretentious and awoken, as if from sleep, in the recovery room. The only downside being someone shouting my name in my ear. An absolute breeze, it has to be said and since you will also be having orthopaedic surgery here's hoping yours goes similarly.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
The last one I had when i woke up i was shivering like crazy, really shivering, whole body going mental, big jab in the arm and i calmed down instantly!
Apparently it's a reaction to the metalwork?
Drugs, amazing things.

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
I thought it was ace, when I woke up I told all the doctors and nurses to kiss each other and that I loved them, I was in a state of euphoria - for half an hour or so. Then you'll need some morphine to keep the pain at bay for the next day...

Epidural and a happy pill was great too - could see the surgeon hammering away at my knee and felt the thuds coming up through my body. He then pulled a strip of muscle out to the side and I remarked how cool it was.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
GA is fantastic. The feeling of being absolutely shitfaced for a few seconds before it takes effect is marvellous. Waking up isn't so much fun although they had me on Morphine a couple of times for a throat operation. The wierdest of wierd dreams and again something in hindsight that is bizarely enjoyable.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Just a little nervous of anything that I dont understand or had before - that involves something like this.

I had my first ever general anaesthetic only a couple of months ago (I'm 36 before you ask) and to be honest I was absolutely shitting myself.

BAG calmed me down considerably (thanks for that m'love), and it really was as easy and straightforward as she said it would be. Actually it was easier, because I didn't feel at all sick when I woke up.

It really is a very peculiar feeling though, because I didn't feel like I was "going" at all when the anaesthetic went it, I was literally lying there awake, and in a second, I was waking up hours later with it all over and done with. All very bizarre, but not at all unpleasant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here