Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Go To Church?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
The problem I have with Church goers are when they try and persuade you to go with them telling you you don't know what your missing and that its the best thing in the world and al that.

A mate of mine was seeing this really religious girl and he had to get rid of her cause all she talke about was how he should come with her and if they were goign to have a relationship he would have to embrace the church. HE dumped her straight away.

Personally I don't want to go, I don't beleive in it and if you ask em I tihnk its all a load of unbeleivable arse but I don't put it down to church goers and don't try and persuade them to become athiest so why shoudl they think its ok to try and persuade me to go with them to church.

I know exactly what I'll be missing by going to church time to sleep off my sunday morning hangover and have a fry up. Know exactly what I'll be doing.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don't knock church goers per se but as I have said, I doubt the sincerity of so many of them. In defence of the church though, I have a cousin who was all over the place until she became a born again Christian and she (and her family) do try very hard to adhere to the Ten Commandments, clearly it works for her. Tragically she has a neice who happens to be gay and she has no time for this girl. Shame that people take the Bible (probably the greatest work of fiction ever) as the truth.

Remember that Prince Nasseem boxer kiddie, who after getting comprehensively spanked in Vegas kept ranting "if it is written" about his loss ?

I mean, where the feck is it going to be "written" that some jumpy little flatheaded tosspot in leopard velvet pants is gonna lose a boxing match ??
Mental.

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
I used to pray on a Saturday afternoon, but they demolished my pladce of worship and built a retail park.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Only go to chruches for weddings/christnings etc.

Not religous in anyway so would never go there for a sunday sing-a-long, dont wanna get married in a church or have my kid christened.

Percy Tantrums

Jul 14, 2003
Brighton
I suppose that I had better declare my interest. I am a catholic priest so I find much of what written here about religion and about the catholic church interesting, generally ignorant and quite often prejudicial, but still interesting.

I'm wanting to preach to anyone about my beliefs as I subscribe to NSC as it is a football post but if anyone does want an open discussion about matters of faith they can contact me elsewhere. I would mind though, having a discussuin with NMH for these comments.

"It's right to vilify kiddy-fiddling priests and the rules that encourage them to see it as the only way for them to have a sex life (!!)"

I like to know what the evidence is, NMH, that i'm more likely to be a peadophile than you because I have taken a vow of celibacy?

There have been paedophile priests as there are paedophile teachers, social workers etc. We just more attention form the media such as yet another BBC programme on the church. I'm afraid that we just have to put our hands up and accept criticism when it is merited. However, it would be better if that criticism is at least informed on the subject. Don't you think NMH?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
tinx said:
The problem I have with Church goers are when they try and persuade you to go with them telling you you don't know what your missing and that its the best thing in the world and al that.

Okay, tinx, now replace the words "Church goers" with "football fans" and see what you get. D'oh, that would apply to most of us I suspect.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hi guys

I do well I sing in an Oratorio choir, so technically I go to church, although I don't go on a Sunday nowadays as I go swimming on Sunday mornings!

We are doing Messe De Minuit De Noel by Antoine Charpentier if anyone is interested...no I thought not.

PS Iam on an unsecured PC at work...hahahahaha

Bugger 'em

Percy Tantrums said:
I suppose that I had better declare my interest. I am a catholic priest so I find much of what written here about religion and about the catholic church interesting, generally ignorant and quite often prejudicial, but still interesting.

I'm wanting to preach to anyone about my beliefs as I subscribe to NSC as it is a football post but if anyone does want an open discussion about matters of faith they can contact me elsewhere. I would mind though, having a discussuin with NMH for these comments.

"It's right to vilify kiddy-fiddling priests and the rules that encourage them to see it as the only way for them to have a sex life (!!)"

I like to know what the evidence is, NMH, that i'm more likely to be a peadophile than you because I have taken a vow of celibacy?

There have been paedophile priests as there are paedophile teachers, social workers etc. We just more attention form the media such as yet another BBC programme on the church. I'm afraid that we just have to put our hands up and accept criticism when it is merited. However, it would be better if that criticism is at least informed on the subject. Don't you think NMH?

Yes I'll take that. Your vow of celibacy precludes you from a 'God-given' (natural) pleasure with a natural member of the natural sex to be with. REGARDLESS of where else you may find paedophiles and that heinous crime, I don't believe their profession exacerbates the problem (and then hides it, but that's a matter that has been revealed and shown in the media).
I would have to worry about several points about your religion, one being the concept that Mary remained 'The Virgin Mary' throughout her marriage and life. She apparently gave Jesus some siblings, so she only managed to remain untouched for the one birth, then she should have 'consummated her marriage' - since Joseph and her didn't even get it on even for the months of incubation (huh ? ?)?.
So, worship of this matriach, the vow of celibacy, surrounded with young choirboys ....... the church as an organisation doesn't encourage it I don't imagine, but the situation that these men are placed in does in my opinion.
Where I might worry about sending my 'little cherub' to a boy-scout leader or tester - I see more reason to worry about a place where he would be dressed in a little smock with frilly fringe, to the charge who is single, doesn't go with women, worships a mythical untouched woman and places all other women as untouchable, and goes through life under an imposing doctrine frought with pitfalls for guilt and has to lead and teach about personal and societal spirituality.
Is there a reason why the paedophilia has been (and in a recently high-profile way) discovered to have run THICK in your profession - despite the rather odd denials and *cover-ups that the high-ranking priests insisted on - to protect the daiety over the victims (*the "holding hands up" and "acceptance of criticism" hasn't actually been seen to have happened now, has it Percy? The Catholic Church had to get busted, denied allegations, hid the truth)

I have no problems about people being religious, catholic, or buddhists (where they chant in a language they don't understand to images and scrolls, in order to enforce and manifest personal desires), or any other religious people . But why do I need to be more informed ? Perhaps we all could have been more informed and sooner if so many LEADERS of your organisation weren't so keen to overlook it (see also 'encourage' which is the same as 'overlook' in my book when the leaders do nothing, then protect their men from criticism and discovery)

I can also see with my own eyes when people cross themselves overtly during sports, and lay things on the pavements for Macumba while lighting a holy candle-in-a-jar showing a picture of Jesus or Mary . They don't represent all corners of your religion, I know that - just as some terrorists had apparently pointed to The Koran for their reasons in killing people of another belief or culture, and their religious leaders condemned them (as do most educated members of that belief) for going against the doctrine and for citing it in their reasoning.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rambo said:
Wow this is a deep thread.
Brighton is my Religion, Withdean is my church.
:D

It is said that football is a religion in itself.

I support Brighton & Hove Albion but I worship God & Jesus

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Juan Albion said:
Okay, tinx, now replace the words "Church goers" with "football fans" and see what you get. D'oh, that would apply to most of us I suspect.

Have I missed your point or something Juan ? I can't ever remember anybody ever needing to try and coerce me into going to a game but I have had more than one person (oh so many more) try to pesaude me that going to church is great. Sorry, it's not, it's boring and pointless.

Fact is, I know there's an Albion, I can see 'em, can hear 'em, can even touch or smell them at a pinch and more often than not I can talk to them and get an answer (of sorts).

Can't do that with God, Allah, Budda ect.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Juan Albion said:
Yes, you have completely missed the point. Try reading it again, it is very simple stuff.

Having looked at it again if there really was was any point it clearly wasn't worth making. Please note, it's official :-

THERE IS NO HIGHER AUTHORITY

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Sunday mornings are made for tea and friends not standing in a cold room full of homophobics and kiddie fiddlers !!

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I've no problem with anyone worshipping whatever they want, provided they don't try and stop other people doing what they want, or worshipping whoever they want.

The argument against this is often based on the question: "What do you base your morals on?", so I answer it now. I think humans carry their moral code within them as part of "human nature". This is something that has evolved as we have, as a species.

I don't think anyone who goes to church, or takes part in any other religious experience is sad. I know a lot of people who have or who do, and they're wonderful people in many ways. I think religion is a natural part of humanity, and part of the human mythological history that many of us love. I do think, however, that on a factual scientific level all religion is untrue.

Percy Tantrums said:

I also must add that I find it odd that the most evasive poster on this subject stops in to call my opinion uninformed (out of personal defensiveness, apparently) but states he is a religious authority hired to teach others. I can't accept the statement that "this is a football site" as a good enough evasion, and since this is a thread about church and religion why not put better input than this brief 'tantrum' that doesn't educate me or anyone else as to why any critique has no basis.

Are you another one denying the existence of kiddie-fiddlers among the choirboys too ? Denial isn't just a river in Egypt mate, if you've got the chops to wear the fancy robes and recite the writings (by rote, I suspect), then let's see a little more about this from the inner sanctum eh?

I'm serious mate, not trying to be a 'mocker' - but will let you know I am going to have to fall short of calling you 'father' or give creedence to the concept that God is on your side like some Harry Potter with etherial backup.

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
I used to hate going to church as a child. It was always cold and would seem to last an eternity. I've been to midnight mass on occasions but do not feel the urge to go again.

On occassion I do pray but from the comfort of my own home. I'm not overly religious but I would love to belive there is more to life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here