Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone ever walked a long distance footpath?

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Have walked the South Downs Way and the Greensand Way this year plus done sections of the Pennine Way, South West Coast Path, Wye Valley Walk and North Downs Way.

Anyone else walked any? I might have time to do one in February. Any tips for a good one at that time of year? (seriously)

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Cardiff to Leeds Brightonian way looks good.set off on the 12th from Cardiff and try to get to Leeds for the 22nd. Quite a walk but would be worth it.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I walked back from the pub last friday night, it normally isn't that far, but the way I was wobbling it was a foookin' long way I can tell you.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I did most of the south downs way quite a few years ago. More recently I did the Coventry/Warwickshire one day 40 mile circular walk. I wouldn't recommend walking that far in a day.

I've no idea about what's good in February. Where do you stay on the way of the ones you've done?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I hear that the Great Wall of China is a nice walk. Might take a while though!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have walked the South Downs Way and the West Highland Way in Scotland.

The West Highland Way was superb, started along the banks of Lock Lomond and finished in Fort William. The scenery is amazing. We did it in October (its was 16 years ago though) might not be a good idea for February due to the weather but certainly worth bearing in mind for the future.

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I've done the Wealdway (Gravesend to Eastbourne), the Medway (Turners Hill to the Thames Estuary) and the Wey/Arun (Weybridge to Littlehampton). All were excellent. We do them in bite-size pieces, about 10-12 miles at a time on average with a requirement for a good pub lunch at the halfway point! We're starting the Greensand Way next. What's it like?

Would love to do the Southwest Coast Path. How was that?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Walk?

Is that like when you don't use the car and move those dangly things below your belly?

*awaits sexual innuendos galore*

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
February is the worst month of the lot. It will be so barren and dull, muddy, probably raining. The only tip I can suggest is to take binoculars as there may be something in the distance to break the tedium. A bit of a long shot really.

It has got to be a punishment. Have you got a bad enemy? The months May to September are much better. April and October are a marked improvement. March and November are not totally horrid. December and January are pretty dire. But February is the pits.

You can take a dictionary to look up all the words beginning with D to describe it: dank, dull, dire, dank, deign (this is one that needs a dictionary), and lots of others like depressing, dreary .....

Last edited:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Not in Enlgand again but the G8 Alpine way path is pretty dramatic. starts in South West alps near to Digne-les-Bains and goes all the way through to Italy and beyond i think. most amazing views and quite easy on the legs apart from some north face of the Eiger type accents which even in May/June/July last year were snow covered.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
goldstone said:
I've done the Wealdway (Gravesend to Eastbourne), the Medway (Turners Hill to the Thames Estuary) and the Wey/Arun (Weybridge to Littlehampton). All were excellent. We do them in bite-size pieces, about 10-12 miles at a time on average with a requirement for a good pub lunch at the halfway point! We're starting the Greensand Way next. What's it like?

Would love to do the Southwest Coast Path. How was that?

Have thought about the Wealdway but thought it would probably be too muddy in Feb. I generally do the same - bits of the hike in a day using a car and public transport.

The Greensand Way is excellent for this. The Surrey section is particularly recommended as it is quite wild for this part of the country.

My wife and baby are away for two weeks in Feb so have about 4 days holiday I can use to do most of a hike in one go. Have thought about the coastal section of the Cleveland Way to tie in with the Leeds game, or the Isle of Wight Coast Path. I think coastal walking is probably the way to go at that time of year since looking at the sea in Winter can be perhaps be more interesting than during the summer.

Would like eventually like to do all the SW Coast path, only done sections in South Devon and Cornwall. Very challenging because of the up and down nature of the coast but perhaps the best walking country in Britain bar none

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Repugnant Toad said:
Not in England, but the Inca Trail was pretty tough (26 miles). Not so far, but up and down, and up and down, and ... so on.

Did the Inca Trail in 2003. Was an amazing experience - left me breathless in more ways than one!

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
perseus said:
February is the worst month of the lot. It will be so barren and dull, muddy, probably raining. The only tip I can suggest is to take binoculars as there may be something in the distance to break the tedium. A bit of a long shot really.

It has got to be a punishment. Have you got a bad enemy? The months May to September are much better. April and October are a marked improvement. March and November are not totally horrid. December and January are pretty dire. But February is the pits.

You can take a dictionary to look up all the words beginning with D to describe it: dank, dull, dire, dank, deign (this is one that needs a dictionary), and lots of others like depressing, dreary .....

Feb can be more promising than you think. The days are lengthening and rarely that cold. Mud is the worst enemy of the late winter walker, but given that my Mrs and baby are away at that time, it might be the only opportunity for lots of hiking days all at once for quite awhile.

Incidentally one of the worst months for hiking is August. Bloody hot and everyone else is out in the countryside because of school holidays. Give me Feb-early June or Sept-Nov anytime

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What is there to see in February? I am open-minded.

Pictures
if
you want.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Pictures of Pendre :lolol: :lolol:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Some people will know that Pende goes a bit squelchy in February (make sure yer boots ain't gotta leak), but this means they can't build houses. They will have to drain the water into a pond like Brooklands (east Worthing).

What they are doing is putting builder's rubble on it to make a quick pile.

Anyrate I asked the Planning Officer how many customers they would need to justify building a railway station. He said it was a quarter of a million a year.

Before that I suggested to the mixed political gatherring of well known busy-bodies, what they would think about a limited development giving the public a designated open space. Basically, they were well keen on the idea. I said, make sure that the local plan designates the site for Recreation and Tourism, including sporting activities. To keep the options open for whatever.

Basically, if Falmer comes a cropper (and I can't make the Falmer cost figures add up), Pende represents the best alternative.

Realistically, Falmer just about promises to be a better bet. I am just going along with the crowd in this. I think Pende was always a better choice.

What I am really saying is that Pende is a better bet for any investor than the Arsenal ultra-expensive scheme, a better bet bet than Wembley, better than any stadium location in the whole of England. And if your really want to stuff Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, and Portsmouth all at the same time, Falmer ain't gonna do it. Only Pende can do this.

The Inspector seems to think we are only a provincial club.

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Pende.htm

Have you ever tried those mushrooms, those ones with the blue and white stripes

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here