Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else think next season coul dbe one big disapointment?

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
Fair enough. Though with the dismantling of the championship winning squad already, I'm not at all confident that promotion will happen next season. I hope I am wrong of course for all our sakes.

No lets get this right !! we are dismantling a league 1 winning squad and bulding a championship winning squad.
Ok Bennett going is a bit of a blow but if I was offered Lua Lua in his place I would see that as a major step in the right direction.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ok Bennett going is a bit of a blow but if I was offered Lua Lua in his place I would see that as a major step in the right direction.

Too right Locky! It'd be like trading in a thoroughbred racehorse for a thoroughbred racehourse that can do back-flips! * THUMBSUP SMILEY*

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Aaaaaah! Summer in Brighton. A time when the sun shines (in between the squalls) and fishermen go out to cast their nets on the waves. That's in the real world of course. In the world of keyboard warriors where going outdoors and braving the elements is a step too far and the sun never shines, a fishing trip on here has to suffice.

So welcome to the world of Goring Gull......he turned his face from the real world and he cast his net.................

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Amazing that we are only in early June and there are already people worried. Never in my 21 years watching the Albion have I trusted the club to find the right players and ensure we are a decent Championship side (that doesn't mean top six necessarily but certainly top half). We have a rich chairman, new ground, fantastic young manager and have taken John Stephenson from Watford who obviously knows the transfer market inside out.

Yes, losing Bennett will be a blow but if, as expected, it is followed by Buckley signing then it is not the end of the world and the club will survive. I trust the club to bring the right players in and know that the staff will be working constantly all summer to ensure it happens. If we are still struggling to bring in decent players come August then it might be time to worry but with still two months to go until the start of the season, I am not concerned at all.

Let not people forget that we also have budding potential at the club. We are not just trying to build on an overachieving bunch of chancers who managed to excel, with a couple of incomings to replace same, who are outgoing (if we do have more leaving).

When we last got relegated from the Championship division, we were shedding players to try and stay afloat as a business and still maintain plans for Falmer. Some of our hopes for the future included Cox and Robinson.
We'd been lucky to get some ££ for players like Virgo, and were unlucky to lose Zamora for such a small amount when many had cited as much as £6million on his head (not an unfair assessment actually - oozing talent and potential and probably still worth that or more, now).

HoveHorace

Premiership please !
Jan 20, 2011
Hove
The only thing that would concern me is losing Poyet. And as I don't think this will happen then everything will be fine.

New players will strengthen the squad and a mid table finish and cup run will get the "sold out" Amex buzzing.
:amex:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Investment in the playing squad for much better quality players than we have now has to be forthcoming and Tony Bloom is no mug. He doesn't want the Amex with gates of 10,000 from 2012/13.

Lets see how our squad looks on August 6th, at least then we will have a better idea of our prospects.

"has to be forthcoming"? I don't underdtad why we get to demand success. We would definitely stay up with the current quality of the squad, so I'm guessing you are demanding more than just survival next year.

I think there are going to be some VERY negative and VERY worried people come August 6th, but as at the start of this season, their fears will be unfounded.

In Gus we trust.

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
Be Happy with the new Stadium, weve waited long enough for it, on those journeys to gillingham Falmer seemed a million years away !!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well lets put it this way, there will be two angles to next season....

1) The true Albion supporter who has seen the club through all the years, the days of 40k+ crowds, the final against manure, the Goldstone, the stripping of the club, the near death of the club, the Gillingham years, the Withdean years and now the Falmer years will be overyjoyed no matter what place (excluding relegatin of course) Albion finish. These people are the ones who care about the club and live and breath Brighton & Hove Albion.

2) The new bandwagon, JCL, buying a ticket cause its "the thing" to do, supporter manure really, like a new shiney stadium and over wank "supporters" who unless the club finishes first by a country mile and make the FA cup final will be bad mouthing Poyet, Bloom and the squad for what a terrible team they are.

Then there is my angle

3) f*** those number 2's as myself and many others dont have time for them. Go back to your tele turn on sky and support your BELOVED Manchester United. :wanker:

1) We never had 40k+ crowds, ever. New comers or old timers will be equally excited when the season kicks off.
2) You are so wrong about new supporters. They are ALL welcome and will enjoy it as much as everyone else.
3) Do you think your 'angle' on it is warranted or valid, being that you don't support Brighton?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
If we can be sensible and forget the Premiership and the team can keep around six points clear of the relegation zone then we will not loose too many season ticket holders at the end of the first season at Falmer.Those supporters who have stayed on since the Goldstone days will have more patience however the first time supporters will have alternate interests and will go back to them if the club does not bring in the types of players required to improve the teams position in the league.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we can be sensible and forget the Premiership and the team can keep around six points clear of the relegation zone then we will not loose too many season ticket holders at the end of the first season at Falmer.Those supporters who have stayed on since the Goldstone days will have more patience however the first time supporters will have alternate interests and will go back to them if the club does not bring in the types of players required to improve the teams position in the league.

I think that having Falmer will make the results on the pitch less important as the match day experience will be so much better than we have EVER known once we get into this state of the art stadium. It won't be just about the football it should also be a regular social event in pleasant surroundings..

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Once the novelty of the new stadium wears off anyone else think if we don't make any BIG signings and we struggle that there will be a hell of a lot of disapointed season ticket holders next season?

Will be hard to live up to the incredible heights of 2010/11.

All depends on transfers in.

We know the so-called bad news (Murray, and allegedly Bennett out).

Good news:
I'm pleased about all the players released. If being ruthless for the higher level, Brezovan and Elphick could go too. I know that's harsh on Brighton-lad and injured Elphick, but as Brendan Rodgers stated last week, you can't have any room for sentiment on moving up a level.

Hoskins in.

In June to August, Im sure Bloom & Poyet with the riches we've never had before, will try to get quality in.
(Still too early. Even with the PL big clubs, its' still behind-the-scenes transfer stuff, with rumours through the Media).

Overall, I trust Bloom and Poyet won't disappoint us.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Which is why TB will make it work.

Quite. TB has a HUGELY vested interest in making it work. He'll be aware that many of the STs have gone to JCLs who won't bat an eyelid at cancelling the Direct Debit if the club doesn't progress. TB is under few of the monetary constraints of Dick Knight, and can inject fresh funds as and when he sees fit. Particularly if he sees things starting to go pear-shaped. For that reason alone, nobody need have any cause for concern whatsoever at this stage in the game. Buy the ticket, enjoy the ride!

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
"has to be forthcoming"? I don't underdtad why we get to demand success. We would definitely stay up with the current quality of the squad, so I'm guessing you are demanding more than just survival next year.

I think Clippedgull was making the point that new signings 'need to be forthcoming' if we are to maintain the feel good factor and sense of momentum that has been built under Gus & Tony - without it we wouldn't have sold anything like 18,000 season tickets.

I think you're dead wrong on the 2nd point. If we go into next season with the current squad but without EB, we will struggle badly and that would be a disaster for the following year's ST sales. I still have faith that Tony & Gus will bring the right people in, but will feel much better when they sign on the dotted line. I sincerely hope that our management team have more ambition than a number of people on here who think that mere 'survival' in the Championship is a good outcome for this club. Sorry folks, but I think most of us want something more than that.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
1) We never had 40k+ crowds, ever. New comers or old timers will be equally excited when the season kicks off.
2) You are so wrong about new supporters. They are ALL welcome and will enjoy it as much as everyone else.
3) Do you think your 'angle' on it is warranted or valid, being that you don't support Brighton?

Of course new supporters are welcome, was more of a reference to the people who have just bought a ticket but in some instnaces have tickets are London clubs as well. I like to think I support Brighton, perhaps a as recent as 7 months ago I didn't but through circumstance have come to read and follow the club as best I can. I get as excited watching match feeds, seeing results and transfer bits with Brighton as I do with Villa.

BrightonGuy

Jun 3, 2011
Brighton
Once the novelty of the new stadium wears off anyone else think if we don't make any BIG signings and we struggle that there will be a hell of a lot of disapointed season ticket holders next season?

Novelty of the new stadium!!, we have 100's and 100's of people on a waiting list for their chance to even have a season ticket (I got mine in early thankfully)
we are at a state of the art stadium with huge plasma televisions in the gangways, Large tele screens going in, a beautiful looking pitch, the highest quality of seats (all padded). This is going to be one of the best quality stadiums for a wery long time, and yet you still complain that it wont be as good as it is said to be. Well i Personally believe that the next coming years will be some of the best the club will have (people do have other opinions i know).There is a long way to go before the "Novelty" of the stadium wears off.

we are a good club that is progressing and on the way up. Also we have good finacial backing and although we have sold a/(some) very high quality player(s) (depending on what is happing with Bennet) we as a club will and have replaced them with as good as if not better players.

Yes i agree we have hyped up the next season rather a lot but what is a club (infact anything) without hopes and dreams. I will tell you. It is a club that is going nowhere and that is why i cannot disagree with your post more.

One Final point here
We have last season already beaten the likes of Portsmouth and Watford in cup matches and there are clubs much worse than that in the chapionship and that is why there is no reason why we cant get at least mid table in the championship.

:amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex:

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Of course new supporters are welcome, was more of a reference to the people who have just bought a ticket but in some instnaces have tickets are London clubs as well. I like to think I support Brighton, perhaps a as recent as 7 months ago I didn't but through circumstance have come to read and follow the club as best I can. I get as excited watching match feeds, seeing results and transfer bits with Brighton as I do with Villa.

If Brighton are moderately or more successful, the fan base will grow, helped by the likes of trophy-less Arsenal (who have many season ticket holders and fans in Sussex) and Spurs, raising season ticket prices ranging from £951 to £1,944. Southern PL clubs other than Fulham are pricing fans out.

Separately, dealing with "if we don't make any BIG signings":

Far too early know the secrets held by Bloom, Poyet, and their scouts, and agents.
Even at the top end in the PL with very determined journalists, very little other than lies or guesses, has leaked out yet.
The Club will let us know when players have signed on the dotted line, before rivals gazump.
Unfortunately, we're left in the dark.

Last edited:

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
If Brighton are moderately or more successful, the fan base will grow, helped by the likes of trophy-less Arsenal (who have many season ticket holders and fans in Sussex) and Spurs, raising season ticket prices ranging from £951 to £1,944. Southern PL clubs other than Fulham are pricing fans out.

Fair point, it appears ive made myself look like an absolute twat :lolol:

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
While I share your optimism, I don't agree that Hoskins is better than Murray. We'll miss Glenn, no doubt, he made such a difference to this team.

Disagree also, I think you have spent far too long with your Pala*se supporting mates. Hoskins scored almost the same amout of goals in a side that got relegated, do you not think he would have scored more in our team?... serious question?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
14 years without a proper football ground-back in the Championship on the back of a 4 piece of silverware in 10 seasons,added to the fact that we finally move to Falmer playing really decent football,with a young ambitious chairman and manager,have 20,000 plus gates-the only let down will be the final whistle each week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here