Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else think next season coul dbe one big disapointment?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
So What

We lost our 'Star' striker although there are suggestions that perhaps ( whether justified or otherwise ) he would not have much forwarded our cause in the Championship. EB may be going although there is still (as far as I am aware) nothing definite, and I accept that wouldl be disappointing.

So we may have lost two of our better players this close season BUT the club is much bigger than those two and we have already acquired the services of Will Hoskins, who many say is far more appropriate to our needs than GM was. I read an article today (admittedly on another board) which suggests the acquisition of Will Buckley MAY happen on Monday.

We are supporters of said BHAFC and, despite everything which has happened as mentioned above, and may have happened over the past 12/14 years, we are surely looking at the most exciting time which any one, if not all of us, has ever experienced.

Proud to be an Albion fan !

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If I were pushed, which I'm not obviously, and who gives a tuppeny toss about my prediction, except me and my cat... I'd say we will finish around 9th.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Once the novelty of the new stadium wears off anyone else think if we don't make any BIG signings and we struggle that there will be a hell of a lot of disapointed season ticket holders next season?

Just how long does this take i wonder-having had the honour of driving past it to work every day since it's birth i still cannot see anything fade from it's beauty-absence makes the heart grow fonder-14 years makes this heart very strong indeed-i suppose it's like being a parent.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Because we have wasted the last twenty years and none of us are getting any younger. It is a bit like all the people who have passed away since the Goldstone and will never get to see The Amex. Life is too short for more mediocrity over the next few years. We have the chance to push on, and we should take it - NOW!

Fair enough. Though with the dismantling of the championship winning squad already, I'm not at all confident that promotion will happen next season. I hope I am wrong of course for all our sakes.

I'm not on board with any rush to make the promotion playoffs and be top of the league material in no time flat.
It would be one-hit wonderful and with such instant successes we'd be back down to earth or worse and passing blame.

NSC-ers suggest Gus isn't yet the ready-for-prime article and could hone his professional with us, yet imagine we will be rocketing up the league while he's learning management! It doesn't work that way, and our squad has to hone their talents too. Some will stay and some go, and eventually we might get a steady group of Albion stripes.
Best the murray type be off now and on their way if they want to see the fast money elsewhere, and best the expectations of newbies used to watching Chelsea follow suit. No spoiled players, no spoiled fans either. Natural Albion, that's the ticket to longevity and pleasure watching fair game at The Amex. Win or lose, let's take it on and take what comes a step at a time.

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
Simply put if you score 20 goals in a struggling and relegated team aka bristol rovers you are a better player than one who scores 20 in a team that pisses the league !!

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
We have to be realistic and get used to playing in the new stadium. Why would it be a disappointment - we won't be brilliant but I reckon we can remain in the Championship and not be threatened with demotion. Mid table mediocrity would suit me.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Simply put if you score 20 goals in a struggling and relegated team aka bristol rovers you are a better player than one who scores 20 in a team that pisses the league !!

On closer inspection the conclusion could be that the former would have scored more goals-we worry that we have lost a 20 goal a season striker & forget we have just signed a potential 30 goal player.Pls note the exchange rate to the Championship will equate to less than 30 goals but you get my drift.

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
On closer inspection the conclusion could be that the former would have scored more goals-we worry that we have lost a 20 goal a season striker & forget we have just signed a potential 30 goal player.Pls note the exchange rate to the Championship will equate to less than 30 goals but you get my drift.

Yes exactly, but having played 4 many years as a "striker" I know first hand how HARD it is 2 score goals in a struggling team coz u simply dont get the chances :)
I mite have now blown my cover on here with this response !!!

I'm suspecting that Murray left just in time, for Glenn Murray.

Doesn't have to move house, still in a city a comfortable distance from croy and londinium, with new family not having to uproot.
Playing for a new club with lowered expectations, less challenging manager who probably doesn't insist so strongly on achieving targets - being a lazy sod after all.
Less competition - Brighton wanted to go up the league and no messing, they already had Hoskins lined up to add to my woes - and he looks like he was going to give me a bit of work to do to keep my place. Gus is also lusting for his own success in the job. He's been at the top as a player and insists on going there as a manager too.
More money for the same work, because if I don't get goals at BHAFC my stock was only going in one direction - no way am I top Championship quality.
I didn't like it that much with Brighton, or get along with other players particularly.
The caravan I signed for palace ....they made me tea and a cupcake.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I'm not on board with any rush to make the promotion playoffs and be top of the league material in no time flat.
It would be one-hit wonderful and with such instant successes we'd be back down to earth or worse and passing blame.

NSC-ers suggest Gus isn't yet the ready-for-prime article and could hone his professional with us, yet imagine we will be rocketing up the league while he's learning management! It doesn't work that way, and our squad has to hone their talents too. Some will stay and some go, and eventually we might get a steady group of Albion stripes.
Best the murray type be off now and on their way if they want to see the fast money elsewhere, and best the expectations of newbies used to watching Chelsea follow suit. No spoiled players, no spoiled fans either. Natural Albion, that's the ticket to longevity and pleasure watching fair game at The Amex. Win or lose, let's take it on and take what comes a step at a time.

Nail and head! Why the demand for instant success, sorry forgot it seems the modern way - and if we loose a few supporters along the way so what there will be other. I feel we will drop attendance slightly next season no matter what our achievement but will still be 20K+ regularly plus this squad will only get better. For me a midtable finish and attractive football coupled with a comfy chair, decent pie and Dark Star will keep me coming back for more.

Relax and enjoy the journey!

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Well lets put it this way, there will be two angles to next season....

1) The true Albion supporter who has seen the club through all the years, the days of 40k+ crowds, the final against manure, the Goldstone, the stripping of the club, the near death of the club, the Gillingham years, the Withdean years and now the Falmer years will be overyjoyed no matter what place (excluding relegatin of course) Albion finish. These people are the ones who care about the club and live and breath Brighton & Hove Albion.

2) The new bandwagon, JCL, buying a ticket cause its "the thing" to do, supporter manure really, like a new shiney stadium and over wank "supporters" who unless the club finishes first by a country mile and make the FA cup final will be bad mouthing Poyet, Bloom and the squad for what a terrible team they are.

Then there is my angle

3) f*** those number 2's as myself and many others dont have time for them. Go back to your tele turn on sky and support your BELOVED Manchester United. :wanker:

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Gus says that we have a list of target new signings. Well, it all comes down to how successful John Stephenson is in getting these players. There's still plenty of time, but I think most of us are gutted to see Elliott going. It will take more than a 1 in 1 out replacement to restore confidence this time - I haven't lost the faith but I'll feel much better when I see good Championship players signing on the dotted line.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Well lets put it this way, there will be two angles to next season....

1) The true Albion supporter who has seen the club through all the years, the days of 40k+ crowds, the final against manure, the Goldstone, the stripping of the club, the near death of the club, the Gillingham years, the Withdean years and now the Falmer years will be overyjoyed no matter what place (excluding relegatin of course) Albion finish. These people are the ones who care about the club and live and breath Brighton & Hove Albion.

2) The new bandwagon, JCL, buying a ticket cause its "the thing" to do, supporter manure really, like a new shiney stadium and over wank "supporters" who unless the club finishes first by a country mile and make the FA cup final will be bad mouthing Poyet, Bloom and the squad for what a terrible team they are.

Then there is my angle

3) f*** those number 2's as myself and many others dont have time for them. Go back to your tele turn on sky and support your BELOVED Manchester United. :wanker:

The club had many thousands of glory-hunting, bandwagon jumping supporters during the glory years of the late 70s, so this is hardly a new phenomena. I have to disagree with you on the last point, if we want to be a top Championship / Premiership club with real ambition, we MUST keep the No. 2s. To do that, the management must not listen to people on here saying that 19th place is good enough - we need the players to compete with better Championship teams. It is VITAL that the sense of momentum and direction is maintained.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Surely a lot of the success at home (and away?) is down to us being positive being loud and getting behind the team (and Gus) and making the Amex as intimidating as possible to the opposition and an extra man for the team.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
The club had many thousands of glory-hunting, bandwagon jumping supporters during the glory years of the late 70s, so this is hardly a new phenomena. I have to disagree with you on the last point, if we want to be a top Championship / Premiership club with real ambition, we MUST keep the No. 2s. To do that, the management must not listen to people on here saying that 19th place is good enough - we need the players to compete with better Championship teams. It is VITAL that the sense of momentum and direction is maintained.

I do see your point and you are right in the sense that every club does need the glory hunting fans as they fill the seats, buy the food and the merchandise to give the club revenue. I have no doubt that momentum and direction with be kept at the club and Bloom/Poyet will keep the lads going in the path they wish. I just think that Blooms number one priority next season is to STAY in the championship. Not that I doubt the club has the talent to but get the first year out, get the hype in, the new stadium all of those things and stay in the championship. After a year of "getting their feet wet" so to speak it will be a much smoother ride in whatever direction they want to take the club.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The one thing that would bother me is that if we struggle direct debit season ticket holders might decide to stop coming thus affecting revenue. Can't see that as a serious worry as although I don't think we'll surprise anybody I don't think we're be dragging ourselves off the bottom either.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I don't think we'll surprise anybody I don't think we're be dragging ourselves off the bottom either.

As I said above, it all depends on the business we do. The 'net' position at the moment is a worry - no question. We will seriously struggle without a good replacement for EB. Fingers crossed for some positive transfer news soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here