Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else think next season coul dbe one big disapointment?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't share the pessimism. Murray has been replaced, I still think another decent striker will be purchased. Bennett although a decent player, largely had his mind elsewhere since January and turned in some piss poor showings. Gus will take steps to replace him with a better or at least equal player.

Investment in the playing squad for much better quality players than we have now has to be forthcoming and Tony Bloom is no mug. He doesn't want the Amex with gates of 10,000 from 2012/13.

Lets see how our squad looks on August 6th, at least then we will have a better idea of our prospects.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
If people are really expecting us to be amongst the big boys next year then they may well be dissapointed. We as fans have to be realistic and more importantly patient.
For me next season is about staying up, playing entertaining football and maintaining our new larger fanbase. Anything else should be seen as a bonus. I for one will just be happy to be watching the team i love playing in one of the worlds best suported leagues against some huge clubs.....cant fooking wait!

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
I wonder what the topic starter's definition of a failure would be for next season? Outside the top 6? Finish 20th? Relegation?

I cannot see the latter happening with Poyet in control. I feel a finish in the top ten would indicate a pretty successful return.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is something that will make my blood boil if we have friendlies against all thes eother rubbish sussex sides hardly preparation we needto be getting ready to take on teams in the championship.

I think we had a thoroughly shit run of pre-season results this year didn't we? I remember being concerned but as those with calmer personalities stated at the time, it really doesn't matter, it's just preparation for the season and counts for nothing.

Next season has the potential to be the most exciting in decades so obviously could easily become an anti climax, who we sign rather than who we sell will be what makes or breaks it imo. At the moment it looks pretty shit but we have a while to go, keep your nerve.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
If people are really expecting us to be amongst the big boys next year then they may well be dissapointed. We as fans have to be realistic and more importantly patient.
For me next season is about staying up, playing entertaining football and maintaining our new larger fanbase. Anything else should be seen as a bonus. I for one will just be happy to be watching the team i love playing in one of the worlds best suported leagues against some huge clubs.....cant fooking wait!

Agree with all of this. The part I highlighted, staying up and playing attractive football? Are these two compatible? Surely if we are playing 'sexy football' we should be replicating the success of Swansea, not losing games?

As for the fan-base, well I just cannot predict how those dizzy numbers are going to go!! Considering a generation missed out on watching Brighton at home, those season-ticket sales are amazing. The real test is 2012/13 and the seasons that follow..

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This is something that will make my blood boil if we have friendlies against all thes eother rubbish sussex sides hardly preparation we needto be getting ready to take on teams in the championship.

My guess this year is they will play reserve sides against the Sussex teams. It is a great benefit to the local sides and gives them much needed revenue, so don't begrudge them eh?

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton

Agree with all of this. The part I highlighted, staying up and playing attractive football? Are these two compatible? Surely if we are playing 'sexy football' we should be replicating the success of Swansea, not losing games?

As for the fan-base, well I just cannot predict how those dizzy numbers are going to go!! Considering a generation missed out on watching Brighton at home, those season-ticket sales are amazing. The real test is 2012/13 and the seasons that follow..

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It is a great shame to lose our goal getters/assists and I think we will find it tough without them. All I pray for is we don't struggle and hold our own in the higher echelons of the Championship, for me personally that would be success.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It could be a flop atmosphere wise as they can take time to build as all the singers have been split up-again(yeah right 4 roofs a home at long last on the back of a promotion)-on the pitch i really cannot see us even coming close to another 12 match losing streak with the class of the management team at our disposal-

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I think ya have to look at it from a realistic stand point, there is a great manager in charge, and he has got us playing some lovely footy. But i think 16th up would be a good return to the championship

I used to be a hammers season ticket holder and had many ups and downs with them, i still follow them as know people that used to play for them, and still go a few games a season, but i have moved house and financially i cant go any more, could get a season ticket, but travel costs are over the top. I will always have a soft spot for West Ham but the new owners and manager have put me right off.

With the missus being a gull i have fallen in love with them, i think there going to do very well and i really hope they stay up which i have no doubt they will.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think ya have to lool at it from a realistic stand point, there is a great manager in charge, and he has got us playing some lovely footy. But i think 16th up would be a good return to the prem league.

I used to be a hammers season ticket holder and had many ups and downs with them, i still follow them as know people that used to play for them, and still go a few games a season, but i have moved house and financially i cant go any more, could get a season ticket, but travel costs are over the top. I will always have a soft spot for West Ham but the new owners and manager have put me right off.

With the missus being a gull i have fallen in love with them, i think there going to do very well and i really hope they stay up which i have no doubt they will.

I think that there are plenty like you in the extra 12000 season tickets sold this year. Having been a West Ham fan at least you won't have high expectations next season. lol

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think ya have to lool at it from a realistic stand point, there is a great manager in charge, and he has got us playing some lovely footy. But i think 16th up would be a good return to the prem league.

I could only have 1 love-get rid of the missus

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here