Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone else playing Wordle?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It seems right that averages come down as more and more solutions are used up and become no longer valid. Made up example -- at the very start of the Wordle epoch, there may have been 10 possible words that start with STA but now there are, say, only 5. This greatly reduces the number of guesses needed.
That’s if people use lists of previous answers and the like..
I don’t use such lists and don’t want to.
thats probably why I came bottom in my group. (y) ;)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Wordle 975 4/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟨🟨⬜🟩⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

straightforward.
Quite a relief not having to worry about what other people are doing now.(y);)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wordle 975 3/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟨⬜🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

1708332985726.png

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Wordle 975 3/6*

🟨⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I had to check several possibilities against previous answers, but still got lucky given the number of possibilities.

Best & current average 174
Played 765
Average 3.90

S 50
A 3.42

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wordle 975 2/6*

⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Now read my spoiler!

Since I changed starter word my total average has come down from over 4 to 3.96 and my competition average was 3.38, and this is pretty much down to some generous info you put on this thread.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Wordle 975 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟩
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

A 4-4 draw, still all to play for in the second leg.
Phew, I was expecting an early setback. Good that we’re still level pegging after a dramatic first leg.
I came last in the previous competition and wondered why. When I thought about it, I realised that a new Wordle player (as I was) was at a big disadvantage because they had no prior knowledge of which words had been used. I don’t like the ability to use a list if necessary but if you don’t, you’re unlikely ever to catch up with the knowledge that experienced players have. All that said, I found that once you've had a good look at a list, and used it a few times, you use it less and less because you know what’s on it. Today and yesterday for instance I didn’t need to check a list at all. But online tools that give you all possible answers are strictly off-limits. That’s simple cheating IMO, and drains Wordle of any skill at all (and there’s not a huge amount to start with β€” it’s a game of luck first and foremost).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Phew, I was expecting an early setback. Good that we’re still level pegging after a dramatic first leg.

I came last in the previous competition and wondered why. When I thought about it, I realised that a new Wordle player (as I was) was at a big disadvantage because they had no prior knowledge of which words had been used. I don’t like the ability to use a list if necessary but if you don’t, you’re unlikely ever to catch up with the knowledge that experienced players have. All that said, I found that once you've had a good look at a list, and used it a few times, you use it less and less because you know what’s on it. Today and yesterday for instance I didn’t need to check a list at all. But online tools that give you all possible answers are strictly off-limits. That’s simple cheating IMO, and drains Wordle of any skill at all (and there’s not a huge amount to start with β€” it’s a game of luck first and foremost).
As a new Wordler I do sometimes look at previous word lists, but like you I'm doing it less and less now. I found early on I was constantly missing 50/50s and the word I'd picked was a used one.

I'd no idea online solvers were a thing (mind you, I had to ask on here about previous answer lists). Like you say, what would be the point? Today I was down to only one possibility on two, which I suspect will never happen again, but the ten minutes staring at it before going 'aha' were the whole point of the exercise. I find myself sometimes forgetting words now I'm older, almost like I have to delete some brain files to make room for other stuff. I've found Wordle to be really useful to my every day word recall. It 'wakes my brain up', which is why I do it in the morning.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Agreed, life’s too short!
The missus and I have a daily competition for fun but I just find it interesting to check how the NSC folk are doing without the hassle of competing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here