Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone else playing Wordle?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Wordle 905 3/6
🟨⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟨🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Wordle 905 3/6*

🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

put the kettle on for morning tea.
started Wordle.
finished before it boiled,

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I must confess that six months ago I copy and pasted the list of previous answers into a word document, ordered them alphabetically, and update it daily. So I never guess a word that has gone before (either as a start word or in game play). And I have stopped making mistakes. And on that basis I'm pretty miffed that my average is what it is.

I never ever look at anyone else's guesses before making my attempt. I think that if you look at the pattern of guesses of a few people it would give quite an advantage.

So, given that if I never try a word that has gone before, and never make a mistake, it is beyond the laws of mathematics that my average should be statistically significantly higher than that of another player. It would be interesting to see whether this is the case or not. If it is the case.....I'd struggle to work out how.....

Incidentally one reason I don't play cards for money is that in some games remembering what cards have been played is necessary and in others reading the body language of other players is key. I might be able to do the former to a degree but I cannot 'read' people who can dissemble for fun.

I've always shied away from this, and also the places where you can enter the letters you know and get a load of word suggestions. But I might try downloading the list of previous answers and give it a go for a while - and see if, overall, my scores improve. I think it might at least reduce the guesses when there are too many choices - so, for instance if there are four obvious possibles, and two of them have already been used, I'm increasing my chances of getting it right next go from 4:1 to evens.
And there you have it. The perfect example, where after the second go, I could think of at least four words that would fit. And I know I have exactly the same set of last four letters before, with the same conundrum of which to choose. I knew the one that was 'right' before - so that reduced my odds by one. But I got lucky with the one I did choose. Exactly when a list of previous words would help.

Wordle 905 3/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
And there you have it. The perfect example, where after the second go, I could think of at least four words that would fit. And I know I have exactly the same set of last four letters before, with the same conundrum of which to choose. I knew the one that was 'right' before - so that reduced my odds by one. But I got lucky with the one I did choose. Exactly when a list of previous words would help.

Wordle 905 3/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Funnily enough, I am sure I went for the one that had come up before on my third go

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
AlmerΓ­a
Wordle 905 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟨⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟨🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Probably should've got a 3 there but I was sure the solution had come up before. In fact, I'd have bet my...casa on it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
AlmerΓ­a
I've always shied away from this, and also the places where you can enter the letters you know and get a load of word suggestions. But I might try downloading the list of previous answers and give it a go for a while - and see if, overall, my scores improve. I think it might at least reduce the guesses when there are too many choices - so, for instance if there are four obvious possibles, and two of them have already been used, I'm increasing my chances of getting it right next go from 4:1 to evens.

I think checking the list of past solutions is permissible but using a crossword solver type thing is surely just cheating.

However, I don't tend to check past words myself as I see remembering them as part of the game. Obviously, it's useful to know as it can narrow down your options but sometimes I do use a word in guess 2 that I know has already been a solution. eg. When the A in 3rd place goes yellow, I guess SALAD, to check the position of A and to try S in first place. Similarly, when I get all greys, I often go SOUND. Of course it rules out a 2 as those words are past solutions but I find it makes the 3 more gettable.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Earlier in the year, when I was thinking of variations on NSC wordle competitions, I came up with an idea that we should all start a round using the same starter word, and then see how many goes it took everyone to get the solution.
Then the next day, choose another starter word and go again.
I was interested to see whether it is people's starting words, or the tactics used after the first go make the biggest difference between players.

But I assumed that people would be precious about their starters, and worried about the impact on streaks etc.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
AlmerΓ­a
Earlier in the year, when I was thinking of variations on NSC wordle competitions, I came up with an idea that we should all start a round using the same starter word, and then see how many goes it took everyone to get the solution.
Then the next day, choose another starter word and go again.
I was interested to see whether it is people's starting words, or the tactics used after the first go make the biggest difference between players.

But I assumed that people would be precious about their starters, and worried about the impact on streaks etc.

I do like that idea in theory but I would be a little worried about my average slipping (pathetic, I know :lolol:)

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Wordle 905 4/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 906 3/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Played 632, Current & Max Streak 271, Average 4.09 (2586/632)

2023 - Played 346, Current & Max Streak 271, Average 3.99 (1379/346)

Forgot to post yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here