Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone else playing Wordle?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As a newcomer to this I often wonder if I’m making good guesses that have already been answers.

Is there a list of previous answers and, most importantly, if so would checking it be counted as cheating? I could google the first part but don’t want to if the answer to part two is β€œyes”.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
As a newcomer to this I often wonder if I’m making good guesses that have already been answers.

Is there a list of previous answers and, most importantly, if so would checking it be counted as cheating? I could google the first part but don’t want to if the answer to part two is β€œyes”.
All previous answers here

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham

I don't see it is cheating but others might have a different opinion.

I always do my daily Wordle before coming to this thread so I'm not influenced by anything already posted in terms of difficulty or cryptic clues etc.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hard to be disappointed with that. But I am.

Wordle 904 3/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

1702170147167.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I must confess that six months ago I copy and pasted the list of previous answers into a word document, ordered them alphabetically, and update it daily. So I never guess a word that has gone before (either as a start word or in game play). And I have stopped making mistakes. And on that basis I'm pretty miffed that my average is what it is.

I never ever look at anyone else's guesses before making my attempt. I think that if you look at the pattern of guesses of a few people it would give quite an advantage.

So, given that if I never try a word that has gone before, and never make a mistake, it is beyond the laws of mathematics that my average should be statistically significantly higher than that of another player. It would be interesting to see whether this is the case or not. If it is the case.....I'd struggle to work out how.....

Incidentally one reason I don't play cards for money is that in some games remembering what cards have been played is necessary and in others reading the body language of other players is key. I might be able to do the former to a degree but I cannot 'read' people who can dissemble for fun.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I must confess that six months ago I copy and pasted the list of previous answers into a word document, ordered them alphabetically, and update it daily. So I never guess a word that has gone before (either as a start word or in game play). And I have stopped making mistakes. And on that basis I'm pretty miffed that my average is what it is.

I never ever look at anyone else's guesses before making my attempt. I think that if you look at the pattern of guesses of a few people it would give quite an advantage.

So, given that if I never try a word that has gone before, and never make a mistake, it is beyond the laws of mathematics that my average should be statistically significantly higher than that of another player. It would be interesting to see whether this is the case or not. If it is the case.....I'd struggle to work out how.....

Incidentally one reason I don't play cards for money is that in some games remembering what cards have been played is necessary and in others reading the body language of other players is key. I might be able to do the former to a degree but I cannot 'read' people who can dissemble for fun.
I've always shied away from this, and also the places where you can enter the letters you know and get a load of word suggestions. But I might try downloading the list of previous answers and give it a go for a while - and see if, overall, my scores improve. I think it might at least reduce the guesses when there are too many choices - so, for instance if there are four obvious possibles, and two of them have already been used, I'm increasing my chances of getting it right next go from 4:1 to evens.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021

I suspect your average is much lower than the average of all wordle players, however higher than the small subset of NSC players who declare their results. However, there are lots of people who only post when they've had a good result, but never post their averages. So you are probably above average for the whole of NSC players.

BTW no update to League Table this week, putting up Christmas decorations took longer than expected.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Wordle 905 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Forgot to implement one of my rules on go 3 and paid the price with a 4….

overall. 2023
Streak 103. 103
Played. 695. 345
Average. 3.94. 3.82
best Streak. 157. 114

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here