Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone else BOO Sven yesterday?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Which would then bollocks up the left side of our midfield, where Cole has been excellent for England all season. I know Downing could come in there, but Cole has the experience and we now KNOW he is very effective down the left for us. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Play 3 across the middle, with Gerrard the left of 3 central midfielders.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
I think we all KNOW that changes will be minimal.

No Italia 90 three across the back happening here.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
Play 3 across the middle, with Gerrard the left of 3 central midfielders.
Joe Cole MUST start wide left for us. Its a no brainer. He's got the tricks and pace to go round someone, and he's just as dangerous cutting inside. Him and Ashley Cole combining in that area is without doubt the best way to set up that left hand side for us.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Joe Cole MUST start wide left for us. Its a no brainer. He's got the tricks and pace to go round someone, and he's just as dangerous cutting inside. Him and Ashley Cole combining in that area is without doubt the best way to set up that left hand side for us.

I do think he wants to keep the idea of a deep lying striker and Cole can play this role, so things may be tweaked to allow that to happen.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A tweak that'd just end up unbalancing the whole team. You could well be right, it sounds right up Svens street, that does.

Last edited:

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
I don't agree with moving Joe Cole but I guess he also thinks Ashley will bomb down that left flank with gusto.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
Not sure if it will.

You will lose a bit of width, but a holding midfielder will put a lot of needed balance in the middle.
The balance would come from playing Gerrard/Lampard/Carrick in the middle, with Cole/Becks wide, behind a lone striker. Perfick.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Since when has Beckhams game ever been about pace ? I don't think I've seen him skin a fullback once in his entire career. Beckhams strength is that he can land a 50-60 yard pass on a mousemat. The whip he gets on the ball means he doesn't even need to go round a player. IF he's on his game, then Beckham must start wide right (he will anyway obviously). It just would've been nice to have had SWP as an option if Beckham is smelling a bit. Will just have to take a punt on Lennon as backup I guess.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Since when has Beckhams game ever been about pace ? I don't think I've seen him skin a fullback once in his entire career. Beckhams strength is that he can land a 50-60 yard pass on a mousemat. The whip he gets on the ball means he doesn't even need to go round a player. IF he's on his game, then Beckham must start wide right (he will anyway obviously). It just would've been nice to have had SWP as an option if Beckham is smelling a bit. Will just have to take a punt on Lennon as backup I guess.

If you are going to play a lone striker, the 2 wide players need to get up to support him and that is not Beckhams natural game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not really. The lone striker will need decent delivery from wide areas (something that Cole/Beckham will provide). The support will come from Gerrard/Lampard.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Cole & uumm Cole on the left is a great attacking partnership of sorts, as we know Cole (thats A Cole) likes to get forward...what worrys me is he does it too much and just gets caught out, and Cole (thats J Cole) does'nt like to defend that much...meaning we could get caught out quite abit.

Personally I still think it is the best option, but if Bridge had stayed fit all season then I would have him swapping with Cole (thats A Cole) as I still believe Bridge is one of the best crossers of a ball we have...and the only one from the left side. Yes Cole (thats J Cole) can cross...but he much prefers to cut in and do the business himself, with Crouch up front then Bridge would've been great. But as I said somewhere earlier in this post...he's been abit unfit, so Cole & Cole it is...for me....ok? :down:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
oh yeah sorry *cough* i eerrmm... *cough* yeah

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here