Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone else BOO Sven yesterday?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
I would say during his tenure, the one thing that has been fairly consistent is his squad selection (I grant you a couple of the World Cup selections are a bit different), but the core has stayed the same. Very few Gordon Cowans, Keith Curle, Paul Warhurst type players suddenly appearing in squads.

The core has been pretty much the same but only becuase in most positions their is an obvious first choice but there have been a lot of dodgy selections in the rest of the squad. I mean Michael Ricketts for fucks sake!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Les Biehn said:
The core has been pretty much the same but only becuase in most positions their is an obvious first choice but there have been a lot of dodgy selections in the rest of the squad. I mean Michael Ricketts for fucks sake!

With Ricketts it was a friendly he played in (which is what they are there for) and he had scored a bucket load of goals in the first half of that season.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
With Ricketts it was a friendly he played in (which is what they are there for) and he had scored a bucket load of goals in the first half of that season.

I just think in general he has made some poor choices, Phil Neville was another one who should have been no where near the team.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Every England manager has a few skeletons in their closet in that respect - the one-cap wonders didn't start with Eriksson. However, his complete failure to take friendlies seriously and actually USE them as an opportunity to try something different that he might actually use in a proper game, is the primary reason why England do not have a Plan B in backup when things are going tits up.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Every England manager has a few skeletons in their closet in that respect - the one-cap wonders didn't start with Eriksson. However, his complete failure to take friendlies seriously and actually USE them as an opportunity to try something different that he might actually use in a proper game, is the primary reason why England do not have a Plan B in backup when things are going tits up.

With regards to the Plan B there does seem to be one now in Crouch, but that has come about more by luck than anything else.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
With regards to the Plan B there does seem to be one now in Crouch, but that has come about more by luck than anything else.
Crikey. I think we're almost agreeing there.
:eek:

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
Could go down that route, although Gerrards best role is running in late from the midfield.

It does sound a bit too fluid for our Sven. I do fear that Crouch will replace Rooney.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
His past record would suggest he'll stick with 4-4-2 and just swap Rooney for Crouch (gulp). Remember Rooney going off v Portugal and he bought on......Vassell.

Ideally Cole should stay on the left, Beckham on the right, then have Lampard and Gerrard closely supporting Owen up front, with Carrick holding. Far too sensible for Sven though, surely.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
His past record would suggest he'll stick with 4-4-2 and just swap Rooney for Crouch (gulp). Remember Rooney going off v Portugal and he bought on......Vassell.

Ideally Cole should stay on the left, Beckham on the right, then have Lampard and Gerrard closely supporting Owen up front, with Carrick holding. Far too sensible for Sven though, surely.

He has made comments that Cole could play the Rooney role.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I like the way Gerrard feeds off Crouch. Crouchy didn't have the best of games on saturday, but he provided some valuable service to Gerrard. I guffawed when he did his bicycle kick though. I thought of the NSC crew sharpening their knives.

The World Cup holds no fear for me, even if we are Rooney'less'.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Sid James said:
Would it not be better to free Gerrard and have Cole continue to operate on the left ?

I agree with that. Think Gerrard is more direct and more disiplined in that role (no 40 yard passes to no one) while Cole is better on the left because he is also more disaplined there (less of a tendency to go up his own arse).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
He has made comments that Cole could play the Rooney role.
Which would then bollocks up the left side of our midfield, where Cole has been excellent for England all season. I know Downing could come in there, but Cole has the experience and we now KNOW he is very effective down the left for us. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here