Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been on holiday on their own?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Climbing the walls with boredom now that the footy season has finished and in serious need of a break. My partner can't get any time off though, so any suggestions for a good place to holiday alone? I'm only looking at a week or so.

I'm pretty good at doing my own thing generally, but somehow the idea of a holiday on my own just seems a bit, well, weird.....

So who's done it? And what was it like?

I always travel solo because I can do what i want, when I want and at my own pace. To me that is what a travel is all about,adventure without the set itinerary's of some travel groups. The thought of being trapped in a all inclusive resort with a boatload of overweight, overbearing, dullards is not for me. I land and hit the ground running. I can tell you loads of travel stories like getting lost in Thailand to getting lost in Peru at night. If you only have a week to spare I recommend Spain.

I once did a brilliant solo tour of eastern Europe by train.

Overnight trains between capital cities (saves on room costs). Three days/two nights in Berlin, Warsaw, Budapest and Prague. My time was my own - so I was able to indulge myself in whatever I fancied. And the schedule didn't allow for any boredom to kick in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. Went to Detroit on my own....through choice. Also went skiing on my own when a friend couldnt make it.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
ended up on my own on holiday after the nutty ex f***ed off 4 days early. that was in spain, had 4 fun days with two taxi drivers from belfast who met up with in a bar.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Done a driving trip of the UK on my own before, met up with people I know in Edinburgh and in Brighton though.

Did Interrail in Eastern Europe also, over and back on my own but was staying with someone in Slovakia.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Been a few times on my own as I do contract work and somerimes have to take holidays at very short notice. It's fine and dandy. You get to slob on the beach for as long or as little as you like without having to take account of anybody else's preferences, or sightsee or not sightsee. Has to be said, its not the best thing eating by yourself in the evenings, but you'll always find a bar with the football on, and get chatting to people, and not seem like too much of a saddo. Better by far to go than not go :thumbsup:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I'm setting off on my own next Monday on a twelve day tour of the eastern US. I've been able to plan exactly the itinerary I want to do without having to justify the amount of time spent in the car to anyone. And I'll be able to play the music that I want to play, at the volume I want to play it at.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
As Juan says, it's a key advantage of going on your own that you can do as much or as little as you want and see the things that you want to see at a pace that suits you without having someone saying "can we do this" or "I don't want to do that".

I've enjoyed holidays both on my own and with others, there's certainly a lot to be said for both options and nothing 'weird' about either.

As go destinations, may I suggest Barcelona.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
not been on hols on my own but going to the heineken opener festival in poland on my own coz my mate has pulled out, even though i have paid for his ticket and flight.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
It's a mistake to think you can't travel on your own. I have been many times - that way you go where you want to go and do the things you want to. There are always a lot of other single travellers to hook up with.
Backpacking is a good way to meet other travellers - and you share ideas and experiences.

If travelling alone feels a bit duanting - there are always adventure tour operators like GAP, Intrepid etc where you can travel in groups with a lot of other singel people - but not a singles holiday. And you get to meet people from all over the world.

But, above all else - don't miss out on your holiday!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was meant to meet up with some people in Cuba, but due to a lack of internet points in the country and no mobile phone, I spent much of the 6 weeks on my own. Great fun as it meant you had to be far more active to make acquaintances and not rely on your travel mates for company. Did and saw far more than I would have done if I had met up with the three girls in the first five weeks.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
It's odd you mention this because I was just thinking about that very topic while I was at work today.

I fancy a few days away to relax and clear my head, and perhaps on my own would be the most relaxing. I'd still like a trip with other people at some point soon but I fancy a nice change of scenery to clear my head.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I did Reading festival on my own after a mate pulled out. Bit weird at first but met some cool people; never tried I with a holiday though!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Been away loads on my own and really enjoy it, do not consider myself a sad git AT ALL for going solo. The benefit is being selfish, eat, sleep and do anything you want in your own time. My only concern would be if the holiday was too long, a week alone sounds just about right though. Enjoy.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I did Reading festival on my own after a mate pulled out. Bit weird at first but met some cool people; never tried I with a holiday though!

I did a dance festival on my own in '07 due to someone pulling out, met some people I'm still in touch with to this day and usually end up meeting up with at / going to gigs with.

Without Limits

Jan 14, 2007
Lewes Road Area
I have been to Corfu on my own but it was during a World Cup so I had plenty to do. Sun the Bar for the Football.

I would suggest somewhere like NYC as loads to do or even Vegas.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Haha... didn't take long for the first suggestion that I've got no friends!! I have - but they're mostly married, and the ones that aren't would definitely be on the pull all the time. Not the kind of break I'm after.

But I think you guys have convinced me. I'm swaying towards the USA. Have been there a few times before, but plenty of places I'd still like to see and the freedom to do exactly what I want is very appealing.
:thumbsup:

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
I can second Lord Bracknell's suggestion. Cheap flight to Ljubljana, then by train to Zagreb, Belgrade and Budapest before another cheap flight backfrom Bratislava. 10 days for the whole trip, hotels found on arrival and a non-stop parade of Balkan superminxes to keep the loneliness at bay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here