Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any supermarket managers here?

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
If you scanned a mars bar, but threw two in, it would register an error, and the self-scan tills always have a supervisor.

The supervisor has a screen detailing every item going through the self scan checkouts. So they can glance over and ensure that what's on their screen corresponds to what's going in the bag.

Stealing through the self scan checkout is probably a lot more hassle than good old fashioned shoplifting.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
well that is entirely differant. the dimwit shouldn't have been serving her family, of course that is grounds to suspect collusion but this case is entirely different and any well trained security staff could question the staff member but the customer could not be accused of anything. You could ask the customer for the stock to be paid for but you would, in this case, have to assume he is entirely innocent.
Security didn't know it was family until the customer was stopped. If you actually knew how much stock goes missing then you would understand why certain processes are followed.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Security didn't know it was family until the customer was stopped. If you actually knew how much stock goes missing then you would understand why certain processes are followed.

I used to be head of Security for Virgin megastore so I am aware of stock loss procedures. You could certainly stop and ask the customer to return and pay for the goods but you cannot accuse them of anything until their identity has been established.

I'm sorry but the law doesn't give two shits about a shop's procedures, they care that the law has been followed to the letter and any security guard that wants to avoid prosecution should think the same way.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you scanned a mars bar, but threw two in, it would register an error, and the self-scan tills always have a supervisor.

The only way I could think of to cheat the system, would be to find two things of the same weight but different values, say a £4 tin of salmon and a 30p tin of beans, scan the beans but pop in the salmon
The people working on self service know all the tricks the customers get up to. Scanning one item and putting two in the carrier shows up straight away as a weight discrepancy. Scanning a cheaper tin and putting the expensive one in would be observed by the assistant.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
They're fairly sophisticated. The system knows the weight of every item in the store. When you scan a tin of beans, it expects an itemm of exactly the right weight to be bagged [the bagging section is a weighing platform].

The only way I could think of to cheat the system, would be to find two things of the same weight but different values, say a £4 tin of salmon and a 30p tin of beans, scan the beans but pop in the salmon.

Of course, if you're going to go to that much trouble, you could just use the old fashioned method of pocketing it!

Rubbish - all you would need to do is press the 'Skip Bagging' button and you don't need to bother putting it on the bagging area. Would they have that option if they knew the weight of everything in the store and were using it to catch people out? I think not.

Mar 13, 2008
They have to do this as it is illegal to have misleading offers. Boots are particularly bad for this and there are always bargains to be had (which they have to give you).

I once picked up a video in Woolworths, with a bargain price on it. Got to the checkout and it was more than twice the price marked on the product. The cashier accused me of sticking the label on myself. As I was only about 13 I walked out the store and left it. Nowadays I would ask to see the manager, demand the product at the advertised price and asked how he/she would resolve the matter of my integrity being called into question.

With shit customer service like that, no wonder woolies is going bust!

On the original question - I would probably keep it - depending on the price. You may well get found out if you shop there regularly.
They can withdraw it from sale but they have to withdraw all of that product to do so.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Rubbish - all you would need to do is press the 'Skip Bagging' button and you don't need to bother putting it on the bagging area. Would they have that option if they knew the weight of everything in the store and were using it to catch people out? I think not.

Which will flag up straight away to the supervisor I'm sure, and they will then watch what you've not bagged and check it compared to what you've actually scanned

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

You can only press skip bagging a certain number of times before intervention is required. The skip bagging option is supposed to be used when you have only bought a couple of small items and you dont need a bag or you have scanned a large item and it cant be placed in the bagging area e.g. a hoover or microwave.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Which will flag up straight away to the supervisor I'm sure, and they will then watch what you've not bagged and check it compared to what you've actually scanned
All shown on a main screen :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I used to be head of Security for Virgin megastore so I am aware of stock loss procedures. You could certainly stop and ask the customer to return and pay for the goods but you cannot accuse them of anything until their identity has been established.

I'm sorry but the law doesn't give two shits about a shop's procedures, they care that the law has been followed to the letter and any security guard that wants to avoid prosecution should think the same way.
The incident was captured on cctv as part of observations on checkouts and when security stopped the customer to tell them something had gone through without being scanned the reaction from the customer made them suspicious and on asking further questions found out they were a family member. A lot of security guards/officers/managers working in retail are ex police or ex military and know a wrong un.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Falmer Flutter ©;2688572 said:
Is the correct answer. The retailer can insist you pay the correct price, but as no contract has yet been entered into, the customer can walk away (not with the item, obviously).

You're obviously doing a law course at the moment because i have just learnt all this stuff over the last couple of weeks.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You're obviously doing a law course at the moment because i have just learnt all this stuff over the last couple of weeks.

Also if you make a nuisance of yourself and upset a manager you could end up with a banning order. Comes under the "management reserve the right of admittance" notice normally written at the bottom of a sign in small print.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My favourite personal story along these lines is when I was a student I went to the local Our Price to buy the new PWEI EP. Gave said 12" and £10 to guy behind desk, he looked a bit confused...fumbled around, gave me my record, my change AND my £10 back. So I ended up with more money and a free record. I struggled to suppress my glee as I scarpered out the shop.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I have just done my weekly shop at Sainsbury and got home and checked my bill.
I find that an item with a security device attached has not been swiped and therefore I have got it for free.
Now I have mixed feelings about this, as the poor cashier struggled to get this clip off and then obviously failed to scan it.
Now part of me says I should go back and pay this money to avoid the cashier from getting in trouble, but will she be in more trouble if I do.
The other part of me say’s b****x, I spend a fortune in there over a year treat it as a perk. What do you think guy’s?

I used to work for one of the Big 3 in a fairly senior H.O position. My advice is keep it. Or give it to a supplier as they get screwed most days and probably supplied it for free anyway (BOGOFs should be outlawed!) :love:

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
As a number of other posters have already pointed out there is no obligation on the trader to sell you the goods at the marked price. However Part 3 of The Consumer Protection Act 1987 makes it a criminal offence to give you misleading price indications about goods, services, accommodation or facilities. This applies to whatever way the price is being described whether this is through advertising, shelf pricing or verbally over the phone.

I would suggest that this why most traders will sell you the item at the marked price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here