Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any supermarket managers here?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Although you posted that the tag had been removed but the item didn't get scanned you were lucky the cctv cameras weren't zoomed into the till you went through. .

Why is he 'lucky' about that? He's done nothing wrong. He didn't even KNOW it hadn't been scanned at the time.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I just wondered if these devices were coded in anyway.
She would have the device but not appearing on her till roll?
The till roll has info on it to identify the cashier , as to the booze tag any large supermarket would have hundreds of these in circulation so any discrepancy wouldn't show up until the next stock-take.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why is he 'lucky' about that? He's done nothing wrong. He didn't even KNOW it hadn't been scanned at the time.
Security would assume (wrongly) that he and the checkout operator were working in collusion. He would have been stopped and although it was a genuine mistake would have had to pay for the goods.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Security would assume (wrongly) that he and the checkout operator were working in collusion. He would have been stopped and although it was a genuine mistake would have had to pay for the goods.

Security would have absaloutely no right to assume anything. Any guard that assumes this would be firmly on the wrong side of the law and would probably lose their job if the customer followed it up.

The customer could kick up a right fuss for being humiliated because the till monkey didn't do their job correctly and probably get some nice vouchers and stuff.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've seen them in a carrier bag hanging from the corner of the till.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Security would have absaloutely no right to assume anything. Any guard that assumes this would be firmly on the wrong side of the law and would probably lose their job if the customer followed it up.

The customer could kick up a right fuss for being humiliated because the till monkey didn't do their job correctly and probably get some nice vouchers and stuff.
In retail , the term is "skip scanning" when an item is not scanned intentionally. I personally know of this happening very recently where the cashier was dismissed and the police got involved as the customer was someone in their immediate family.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
In retail , the term is "skip scanning" when an item is not scanned intentionally. I personally know of this happening very recently where the cashier was dismissed and the police got involved as the customer was someone in their immediate family.

Never seen this girl in my life before Guv, Honest.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

well that is entirely differant. the dimwit shouldn't have been serving her family, of course that is grounds to suspect collusion but this case is entirely different and any well trained security staff could question the staff member but the customer could not be accused of anything. You could ask the customer for the stock to be paid for but you would, in this case, have to assume he is entirely innocent.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not true. A price tag is only an "invitation to treat" and a retailer is under no obligation to sell at a marked price (although many will honour their mistakes).

Damn, too slow...

My understanding is that if something is priced incorrectly then the retailer has too options :

1. Sell at the mis-marked price

or

2. Withdraw the item from sale

What they can't dois insist you pay the correct price.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Hang ON a second! Does this PETTY rule apply to self-scan check-outs too? Are you suggesting that they expect us to scan EVERYTHING?

Good point. I have never used one of these, but do they sometimes hold spot checks?
It really is in my opinion asking for some dishonest person to fill their boots in my view.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My understanding is that if something is priced incorrectly then the retailer has too options :

1. Sell at the mis-marked price

or

2. Withdraw the item from sale

What they can't dois insist you pay the correct price.

The retailer is perfectly within their right to say "I'm terribly sorry, that has been marked at the in-correct price it is actually £xx amount, if you would like the item I'm afraid it will cost the full amount. Apologies for the inconvenience"

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
The devices on most alcohol bottles are just clipped on and have to be removed with a special device that kind of 'demagnetises' them. There is no actual coding or anything on them.

Unless CCTV has caught the assistant doing it (usually because they are under suspicion already), taking it back will do more harm than good. The assistant will be disciplined according to company policy and you will probably have to pay for the booze.

Unless you really wanted those Nectar points from the pricey alcohol...

Keep it. It's the better thing to do all round.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good point. I have never used one of these, but do they sometimes hold spot checks?
It really is in my opinion asking for some dishonest person to fill their boots in my view.

They're fairly sophisticated. The system knows the weight of every item in the store. When you scan a tin of beans, it expects an itemm of exactly the right weight to be bagged [the bagging section is a weighing platform].

If you scanned a mars bar, but threw two in, it would register an error, and the self-scan tills always have a supervisor.

The only way I could think of to cheat the system, would be to find two things of the same weight but different values, say a £4 tin of salmon and a 30p tin of beans, scan the beans but pop in the salmon.

Of course, if you're going to go to that much trouble, you could just use the old fashioned method of pocketing it!

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
The retailer is perfectly within their right to say "I'm terribly sorry, that has been marked at the in-correct price it is actually £xx amount, if you would like the item I'm afraid it will cost the full amount. Apologies for the inconvenience"

Is the correct answer. The retailer can insist you pay the correct price, but as no contract has yet been entered into, the customer can walk away (not with the item, obviously).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here