Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any supermarket managers here?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I have just done my weekly shop at Sainsbury and got home and checked my bill.
I find that an item with a security device attached has not been swiped and therefore I have got it for free.
Now I have mixed feelings about this, as the poor cashier struggled to get this clip off and then obviously failed to scan it.
Now part of me says I should go back and pay this money to avoid the cashier from getting in trouble, but will she be in more trouble if I do.
The other part of me say’s b****x, I spend a fortune in there over a year treat it as a perk. What do you think guy’s?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
THIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I got a PROPER bargain at Saino's this very lunchtime.

I went to BIG Sainos at Hedge End last night, and they had a fantastic offer on a Fuji digital camera - A860 - 8.1mp 3x opt zoom, reduced from £120 to £50, plus 'Accessories - memory card and photo paper'.

Anyhow they'd none in stock, so this lunch I popped in the Winchester one, and they had one, but no sign of a memory card or any details of the special offer. Anyhow I explained what the offer had said, and finally they found a product card detailing the offer.

Now, turns out, it was MEANT to say 'RECOMMENDED Accessories..' But, fair play to them, they took it on the chin, and chucked in the £15 card and £6 paper free, with the camera. £141 worth for £50.

:thumbsup: to Sainos.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have just done my weekly shop at Sainsbury and got home and checked my bill.
I find that an item with a security device attached has not been swiped and therefore I have got it for free.
Now I have mixed feelings about this, as the poor cashier struggled to get this clip off and then obviously failed to scan it.
Now part of me says I should go back and pay this money to avoid the cashier from getting in trouble, but will she be in more trouble if I do.
The other part of me say’s b****x, I spend a fortune in there over a year treat it as a perk. What do you think guy’s?

Why did the alarm not go off as you left the store ?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I got a PROPER bargain at Saino's this very lunchtime.

I went to BIG Sainos at Hedge End last night, and they had a fantastic offer on a Fuji digital camera - A860 - 8.1mp 3x opt zoom, reduced from £120 to £50, plus 'Accessories - memory card and photo paper'.

Anyhow they'd none in stock, so this lunch I popped in the Winchester one, and they had one, but no sign of a memory card or any details of the special offer. Anyhow I explained what the offer had said, and finally they found a product card detailing the offer.

Now, turns out, it was MEANT to say 'RECOMMENDED Accessories..' But, fair play to them, they took it on the chin, and chucked in the £15 card and £6 paper free, with the camera. £141 worth for £50.

:thumbsup: to Sainos.

They have to do this as it is illegal to have misleading offers. Boots are particularly bad for this and there are always bargains to be had (which they have to give you).

I once picked up a video in Woolworths, with a bargain price on it. Got to the checkout and it was more than twice the price marked on the product. The cashier accused me of sticking the label on myself. As I was only about 13 I walked out the store and left it. Nowadays I would ask to see the manager, demand the product at the advertised price and asked how he/she would resolve the matter of my integrity being called into question.

With shit customer service like that, no wonder woolies is going bust!

On the original question - I would probably keep it - depending on the price. You may well get found out if you shop there regularly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Think of the environment. Taking it back to the shop would only release more greenhaouse gasses into the atmosphere. Probably best if you left it...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pav has a good point. Plus, if you took it back, you'd probably get the poor girl in trouble. Best all round to keep it.

Are we allowed to know what 'IT' is btw?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Do NOT take it back. The cashier will be in no bother at all because nobody would ever know who sold it, it would just be listed a lost/stolen goods and Supermarkets are hardly the most ethical lot are they.

As others have said, a small independant would get a different response from me as well

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
They have to do this as it is illegal to have misleading offers. Boots are particularly bad for this and there are always bargains to be had (which they have to give you).

I once picked up a video in Woolworths, with a bargain price on it. Got to the checkout and it was more than twice the price marked on the product. The cashier accused me of sticking the label on myself. As I was only about 13 I walked out the store and left it. Nowadays I would ask to see the manager, demand the product at the advertised price and asked how he/she would resolve the matter of my integrity being called into question.

With shit customer service like that, no wonder woolies is going bust!

On the original question - I would probably keep it - depending on the price. You may well get found out if you shop there regularly.

That is not true I'm afraid. A shop doesn't have to sell anything to anyone. You have no legal right to service at all. However, most shops will sell you the item at the wrong price as long as it is not too expensive.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why did the alarm not go off as you left the store ?
Although you posted that the tag had been removed but the item didn't get scanned you were lucky the cctv cameras weren't zoomed into the till you went through. On the question of the alarm going off at the doors , in my experience 95% of customers totally ignore the alarm anyway. They continue on through the doors either thinking its not them , the alarm is malfunctioning so why stop or in some cases they are shoplifters.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
That is not true I'm afraid. A shop doesn't have to sell anything to anyone. You have no legal right to service at all. However, most shops will sell you the item at the wrong price as long as it is not too expensive.

Falmer Flutter ©;2688475 said:
Not true. A price tag is only an "invitation to treat" and a retailer is under no obligation to sell at a marked price (although many will honour their mistakes).

Damn, too slow...

Wow - I learnt this fact in PSE (Personal and Social Education??) lessons at School.

I blame Littlehampton's FAILING education system.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here