Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any real solicitor types on here?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Why do kids need mobile phones in schools at all? If they need to talk to their friends... they're typically in the same room as them. If they need to be contacted by their parents... the parents can ring the school and leave a message. That's how we did it back in the far-flung days of the mid 1990s, when I was at school and nobody had a mobile.

Apologies if this isn't helping very much.

Billy the Fish said:
The school are out of order, on their time they are entitled to do what they want, but if you ask for the phone back then they should give it to you. They are not the police, they do not have any authority over you and it is your property.
That's where you are wrong.

As Downloaded Penguin's post shows, the Education and Inspections Act 2006 gives schools and teachers precisely the authority that you don't think they have.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Billy the Fish said:
You don't need to justify yourself or daughter on here, there's always a few who you'd think had never done anything wrong in their lives.
The school are out of order, on their time they are entitled to do what they want, but if you ask for the phone back then they should give it to you. They are not the police, they do not have any authority over you and it is your property. Who did you speak to at the school?
P.S I'm don't want to tell you how to bring up your kids, but don't go too hard on her, it's only a phone in the library, hardly a hanging offence and at least she was in the library in the first place.

Kind of a sad point of view there. Teachers should have authority over children. Including confiscating pea shooters, sling shots and of course mobile phones. I wholeheartedly believe that parents want their children to learn discipline at school, however the parents are removing the power of teachers to be able to enforce that discipline.

Many parents are lazy, they won't teach discipline at home, and expect it to be taught at school. But woe-betide (is that how you spell that?) any teacher who dishes discipline out!

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
Lil Coach's school have a basket in the school office. All mobile phones have to be handed in when they arrive and can be collected when they leave. Any parent having a problem that they need to contact the child about can phone the school office. I'm suprised how many phones are in the basket every day, I dont see the point of it! Unless they are going home alone (latchkey kids) I suppose?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Simster said:
A bit uncalled for, methinks.

Fair point although antagonistically worded...Why do kids need mobile phones at school? Is it to keep in touch with their parents, with their parents protecting their kids from dangers all day everyday, or is it because everyone else has one?

Oh for gods sake. Your kid will be without her phone FOR ONE WEEKEND after breaking school rules and you want to know where you stand leagally. I suggest your time could be better spent getting a life and not undermining the education system.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Lord Bracknell said:
And can I just add ...

There are MILLIONS of people who managed throughout their school lives to travel between home and school and back again without EVER being able to "phone home in an emergency".

When I was five years old, I travelled miles to school on the bus, from a bus stop that wasn't outside our house, without the need for my mum to accompany me for any part of the journey. There were eight year olds living in the street who did that.

And we didn't have a phone at home, either.

Would you let your 5 year old daughter do the same today ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lokki 7 said:
Oh for gods sake. Your kid will be without her phone FOR ONE WEEKEND after breaking school rules and you want to know where you stand leagally. I suggest your time could be better spent getting a life and not undermining the education system.

Is the right answer, hardly requires legal advice FFS

Simster said:
A bit uncalled for, methinks.

Not really given the nature of this thread. I actually cannot believe some of the things written on this. I would love to believe it's a wind up.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Mrs Coach said:
Lil Coach's school have a basket in the school office. All mobile phones have to be handed in when they arrive and can be collected when they leave. Any parent having a problem that they need to contact the child about can phone the school office. I'm suprised how many phones are in the basket every day, I dont see the point of it! Unless they are going home alone (latchkey kids) I suppose?

I think thats all round the best solution.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lokki 7 said:
Not really given the nature of this thread. I actually cannot believe some of the things written on this. I would love to believe it's a wind up.
I do agree that our hooped chum is needlessly making a fuss out of this and should be backing the school, but that reply by gazwag was a bit unfair, IMO. SussexHoop was only explaining how the confiscation happened.

The Wookiee said:
Would you let your 5 year old daughter do the same today ?
I would certainly encourage children of primary school age to travel independently on public transport. They also need to acquire the skills to be a safe pedestrian - the earlier in life the better.

These days, there are young people who reach the age of seventeen without ever getting the opportunity to learn how to judge the speed of moving traffic. What happens next? They get a driving licence! This is madness.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lord Bracknell said:
These days, there are young people who reach the age of seventeen without ever getting the opportunity to learn how to judge the speed of moving traffic. What happens next? They get a driving licence! This is madness.
Eh? What about that gap between the ages of 5 and 17. That's when most right minded parents would encourage road sense - and ideally with supervision in the early days.

I have to say, a 5 year old walking to school on their own sounds like a completely shit idea to me.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Simster said:
I do agree that our hooped chum is needlessly making a fuss out of this and should be backing the school, but that reply by gazwag was a bit unfair, IMO. SussexHoop was only explaining how the confiscation happened.

Sorry but I fail to see why a parent needs to regularly be in contact with their child throughout the school day

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gazwag said:
Sorry but I fail to see why a parent needs to regularly be in contact with their child throughout the school day

Exactly the kids are at school and should concentrate on education, education, education.

Not ring home asking what is going on as all parents leave contact numbers.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gazwag said:
I must admit, I didn't interpret it that way - I interpreted it as a "friendly chat" type of thing. In much the same way as I might ring my wife in the middle of my working day to see how she's doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here