Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any real solicitor types on here?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Re: Re: Re: Any real solicitor types on here?

Downloaded Penguin said:
Was she actually using it in the libary? Either way, holding it until Friday afternoon is sufficient. Holding it over the weekend is out of order.

No idea. I assume they didn't take it off her for the fun of it and that they did it because her having it was against the rules.

I think it's probably unhelpful (as LB said) to start talking about legal action. If legal action was taken it would probably mean the school reconsidering ANY confiscation of mobile phones. What that be a good idea? And then where does it stop? What happens when the bully's parent complain about unfair detentions or the like. I think it wouldn't go amiss for the punishment to be just accepted.

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
Speak to the school, tell them the reason you want hoop juniors phone returned immediately is that it is the only form of contact with you she has should she run into any difficulties on her journey to and from school. In short you bought it for her so she could ring you in an emergency.
Tell them that if anything happens you will hold them responsible.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bad Ash said:
That's irrelevant as the confiscation applies to it being returned to the child, it should be returned to the parent imediately. This didn't happen.

I'm sure if 'The parent' applies for the phone's return it will receive due consideration. Unfortunately many parents undermine teachers by not supporting them when unpopular decisions are made but I don't see the majority of teachers as malicious kill joys.

Maybe if there was a bit more discipline and respect in home this unfortunate turn of event might not have happened. I am sure I am not alone when I get annoyed by somebody's brat playing their expensive mobile (which somebody else must have paid for) loudly while talking loudly over the top of it.

And can I just add ...

There are MILLIONS of people who managed throughout their school lives to travel between home and school and back again without EVER being able to "phone home in an emergency".

When I was five years old, I travelled miles to school on the bus, from a bus stop that wasn't outside our house, without the need for my mum to accompany me for any part of the journey. There were eight year olds living in the street who did that.

And we didn't have a phone at home, either.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Lord Bracknell said:
And can I just add ...

There are MILLIONS of people who managed throughout their school lives to travel between home and school and back again without EVER being able to "phone home in an emergency".

When I was five years old, I travelled miles to school on the bus, from a bus stop that wasn't outside our house, without the need for my mum to accompany me for any part of the journey. There were eight year olds living in the street who did that.

And there was a time we lived in caves and no schools existed. What's your point?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Mrs Coach said:
Oh dear - I seriously hope you are joking!

No, I repeatedly hounded that school to actually recognise that, as an adult, I had full human rights and not some limited set they defined - and having my property stolen wasn't allowable.

I once made a deliberate point of telling the principal I was leaving to go and vote against him in an election he was running in that year too - despite generally supporting his party!

God I hated that place :angry: :angry:

Should point out I was using it OUTSIDE the building and it was forcibly taken off me by a teacher who was breaking the law at the time - smoking on state-owned school property.

Last edited:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Our daughter has had her phone confiscated a number of times and we ALWAYS support the School in what they do.

If she's been using it when she shouldn't then TOUGH.

If we want to 'keep in touch' with her then we just phone one of her friends.

If you go into the school and ask for it back you're just sending the message to the child that 'it's OK, Mum & Dad will just come in and sort it out'

Leave it at School - maybe she will think twice about doing it again.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Lord Bracknell said:
And can I just add ...

Let me get this right.
Your mother let you travel on a bus on your own without supervision at the age of 5 ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lord Bracknell said:
And can I just add ...

If memory serves me correct a Monty Python sketch started like this :lolol: :lolol:

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
We have been asked to write to the school about this and this is what I am doing. I know we all think our kids are saints but she is to all intents a good kid, all her teachers tell us she's very well behaved in class, we insist her homework is always done and handed in on time.

She was in the library during one of the breaks and switched the phone on (silent mode) to see if she had had a text from Mum. They normally text each other during breaks. She did not make a call, she did not send a text. She had closed the phone and it was in her hand and apparently had been for a few minutes, when one of the teachers confiscated it. She stepped out of line and I have no problem with them confiscating the phone but it has to be reasonable and proportionate and I think this is excessive.

I've got no problem if they want to confiscate the phone every day until the end of the year, providing they return it at the end of each day.

She's 13 and the phone is to allow her to contact us at any time if she has a problem. She's had a b****king already tonight and she'll get more. I think she's learning her lesson.

I just want to know where I stand if they refuse to return it to me tomorrow.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I agree that parents should support schools when disciplining a child but surely it should be handed back at the end of the day?

Questions said:
Let me get this right.
Your mother let you travel on a bus on your own without supervision at the age of 5 ?
Yep.

Like all the kids in our area. This was Leeds, by the way.

When we moved to Newport, six months later, I walked the mile to school.

It's because I left Leeds when I was still only five and can remember travelling to and from school with other kids and no parents, that I am CERTAIN I'm not making this up.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
SussexHoop said:
We have been asked to write to the school about this and this is what I am doing. I know we all think our kids are saints but she is to all intents a good kid, all her teachers tell us she's very well behaved in class, we insist her homework is always done and handed in on time.

She was in the library during one of the breaks and switched the phone on (silent mode) to see if she had had a text from Mum. They normally text each other during breaks. She did not make a call, she did not send a text. She had closed the phone and it was in her hand and apparently had been for a few minutes, when one of the teachers confiscated it. She stepped out of line and I have no problem with them confiscating the phone but it has to be reasonable and proportionate and I think this is excessive.

I've got no problem if they want to confiscate the phone every day until the end of the year, providing they return it at the end of each day.

She's 13 and the phone is to allow her to contact us at any time if she has a problem. She's had a b****king already tonight and she'll get more. I think she's learning her lesson.

You don't need to justify yourself or daughter on here, there's always a few who you'd think had never done anything wrong in their lives.
The school are out of order, on their time they are entitled to do what they want, but if you ask for the phone back then they should give it to you. They are not the police, they do not have any authority over you and it is your property. Who did you speak to at the school?
P.S I'm don't want to tell you how to bring up your kids, but don't go too hard on her, it's only a phone in the library, hardly a hanging offence and at least she was in the library in the first place.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
SussexHoop said:
She was in the library during one of the breaks and switched the phone on (silent mode) to see if she had had a text from Mum. They normally text each other during breaks.

Does mum also make sure the cotton wool is tied properly before daughter leaves the house.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
SussexHoop said:

Why don't you just give her your phone? The biggest lesson she could learn is that her parents supported the action of the school. Now she thinks that you will back her over the school all the time.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Lord Bracknell said:
Yep.

Like all the kids in our area. This was Leeds, by the way.

When we moved to Newport, six months later, I walked the mile to school.

It's because I left Leeds when I was still only five and can remember travelling to and from school with other kids and no parents, that I am CERTAIN I'm not making this up.

Let me ge this straight - they had busses when you were 5 Ed ??

:lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Questions said:
Let me get this right.

I can remember doing that.

When I was at infants school ( 1963odd) ( I must have been 5) I travelled from my school in Berry Brow on a trolley Bus to my grandmother's house about 3 miles away on the other side of the townl and I seem to remember she would collect me when I got off the bus. Mum and Dad both worked therefore I used to go to her until mum collected me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here